Thread: Last Paycheck

Default Last Paycheck

I am using some of my nennkyuu to leave Japan earlier. This results in my not being in the country to receive my final paycheck. The BOE will not or can not give me my money earlier than 7 days after I leave the country. My supervisor tried to explain to me what they wanted me to do in order to get my pay, but she doesn't know English and I don't know Japanese so I am still unsure what exactly it is. Sounds like they want me to keep my bank account open after I leave. I will not leave my account open because I can't get my pension refund with an open Japanese bank account and you can't close accounts from overseas. I have told her this but have yet to get a response.

So yeah...my questions are- anyone else in a similar situation (leaving japan before last paycheck)? anyone have advice on what to do to get my money w/o keeping a bank account open? Anyone hear of something like this happening before and remember what happened?

=) Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    I can't get my pension refund with an open Japanese bank account
    99% sure you can. Ask Azrael.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: Last Paycheck

our prefectural boe just pays people before they leave. even if it is just one day before they leave all their money for plane tickets, travel, and salary is there.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

get someone you trust lined up as your legal proxy for your bank account and give him/her your hanko. they can then close the account for you after they redirect the money wherever you want it to go. this person will then come in handy later when you want to get the tax back on your pension refund.
    or you could see if your CO can pay your last paycheck into an overseas account, but i doubt it.
    good luck.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I've been told I need to leave my bank account open too. I think this happens with many ALTs because of taxes or billing accounts that can't be closed before they leave. I have to leave a certain amount of money in my account and my hanko with the office to cover the bills. The understanding is that they will forward me any leftover money and close the account for me when it's finished. (I'm also working on begging a JTE to mail me my hanko back at the end, but that's another topic-- my hanko is my name in kanji! I love it!)

I didn't know about any issues with the pension stuff, but that seems a little odd. Is this really a problem?

I do not want to leave my bank account open and give control over to my BOE. I don't really trust them and would like to break all connections as soon as possible. My tax rep will not be from the BOE either.

I don't see why they can't pay me sooner. I have the feeling like they CAN they just don't WANT to, it is a hassle for them... I don't care about the hassle...just the money.

Hrm. ALTs use nenkyu and leave early all the time, I feel like they should have some way of dealing with this. Then again, the rules of ESID always mean someone's getting screwed while other people have it just fine. :P Do you have any PAs that can help you talk with the school/BOE? I'm guessing you've probably tried that though.

I'd keep pushing, politely but firmly. Maybe it'll happen?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

tegan - can you get the person who's going to be your tax rep. to negotiate with your boe?
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I have a meeting to go over the details in leaving Japan next Wednesday. Hopefully things will get worked out then. If not, I think I will try your suggestion Wicket. But for now I am just hoping for the best on Wednesday. Maybe they can convince me to do it their way or I can convince them of mine. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
    99% sure you can. Ask Azrael.
    100% sure you can

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    I do not want to leave my bank account open and give control over to my BOE. I don't really trust them and would like to break all connections as soon as possible. My tax rep will not be from the BOE either.
    Give control to your tax representative.

Why on earth are you assuming you have to give the BOE control???
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi View Post
    Give control to your tax representative.

Why on earth are you assuming you have to give the BOE control???
    I think I have to do something like this too. We're having some translation issues, but my school seems to be telling me that I have to leave my account open and designate someone in the office to be my representative. The best part? This person doesn't speak any English and they are not going to help me with the 20% leftover on my pension. :P

i am agree with timoshi
    he is right

While surfing net to get data related to projects of 111 i came here and find this web different one...i found useful information at here...There are certainly many different posts at here...And this one also seems to me different one!