Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My English Board

Default My English Board

I'm making my first English board after 10 months teaching.

What do you do on yours? What do students respond to the most?

Default Re: My English Board

Bumping this...if you guys don't start helping me I will post this in Anything Goes.

So far I have the idea to do 'Phrase of the Week' and 'Internet English Resources'

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

I have posters about upcoming holidays. I also have a little mailbox where they can write me letters. I write a comic strip about King Arthur, and I post Japanese translations there. My most popular item, though, is the message board: just a blank sheet of paper, and students can come and write messages in English. They get a sticker if they do. My middle schoolers usually write a couple things per week; my fifth and sixth graders go through at least one A3 sheet of paper per day. I highly recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    They are like elongated octopi, but with only 6 testicles.

Thanks!! tons of stuff I can use/poach.

I just put up stacks of photos of me travelling around Japan and Asia/Australia. It's awesome!!!
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

The English board at my school is still just filled with stuff from my pred... maybe I should put something up? Nah... But anyway he has picture boards he made with a bunch of info about his home state.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I also have a little section for "current events" where I print out the front page from one of the major newspapers back home.

You can get a pdf copy of hundreds of the days front pages on the Newseum website, here:
    Newseum | Today's Front Pages | Gallery View

bumping this because a couple of my schools just gave me English boards. I'm pretty happy about it since it gives me something to do in my too much free time. However, I definitely need ideas. The ones posted in here so far are good, but let's get some more!
    Homophobia is so gay.

How about film, book or website reviews?

How about news on your favourite sports team?

I am a big fan of Leeds United. I had a little section that I reguarly updated which featured how they did, easy to read match reports, transfer news and so on.
    I taught at a boys school so football was very popular.

They might not have cared about Leeds United but it was a constantly updated section of the board, showed what their teacher was interested in and also served as a talking point.

Bump.

Help me think of something for the beginning of the next school year. I want it to be good. I actually have a huge area to fill; two bulletin boards about a meter and a half square, and a big whiteboard that's probably three meters by a meter and a half. I'm definitely gonna use one of the bulletin boards as a message/mail area, but I want to do something welcoming and interesting for the new classes. I've already done several BB themes, but I wouldn't mind repeating something.

So, any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Do you have any new students coming in? If so, you can do a self-introduction board. You could post some facts about the country you're from, pictures of your family, pictures of other things from home, something about your hobbies/interests, etc. Even if you already had these kids as elementary students, you'd be surprised how much they forget.

If you're planning to travel anywhere during the break, you can have a board talking about that.

Easter is on April 4th this year. That's a pretty interesting holiday to talk about.

Those are all the ideas I have.

Also, having a white board is awesome. Get some dry erase markers up there and encourage the students to leave messages in English. Start it off with something like, "what sport do you like?" then see what they write.
    Homophobia is so gay.

Hmm, I like the Easter idea. It takes a lot to get my kids interested in anything on the board; I've really had to work to come up with new stuff. Writing "What sport do you like?" would probably just result in several pictures of poop (they seem to love this, and every kid knows how to draw a stereotypical pile of shit, somehow).
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

word - another good thing to do is to create projects where the students make their own things to fill it, not just you.

A good idea that can fill one corner and always be rotating is a "student of the month/week/day/whatever time period"
    The student can write something about him/herself in English - hobbies, family, anything - you might want to give them a guide. And also post up pictures of him/herself, artwork, medals, lucky charms,? ...etc.
    Then when it's any given student's "day" to put something up, he/she can give a little Eng. presentation about him/herself to the other classmates.....bring in props, whatever, use as much Eng. as possible, but make it fun, not too much pressure. (If you're students are way shy, you can have them do this with partners....any variation works)
    Then they can leave it up for whatever period of time.....

Choosing one student at a time makes it easy to help the student prepare / write their little blurb about themselves, and it motivates them to do it because if they don't, they won't be on the "special" wall, ya know?
    Of course this is better for the younger ones, but I can see sanensei getting into it, too. Everyone likes to talk about themselves.

I actually haven't done this yet in Japan, but it worked great back home. Probably has to be tweaked a bit more for Japan esl. tell me about it if you do it. I don't have a board. boo.

OH - also....
    something with word cards that students can manipulate similar to magnetic poetry is great too. They will make sentences about how your JTE smells bad and how fat you are.
    Last edited by 3ngrishsensei; March 16th, 2010 at 20:40.

I have a 'Quiz of the Week' with questions designed so that the kids have to actually ask me to get the answer. Like what my favorite color is, how long have I lived in Japan, etc. Anything to make them talk to me. Then I have a small carboard box I painted and designed to look like a blue postbox. The kids use small answer sheets I have tacked to my English Board to write their answers on and drop them in the mailbox (just outside the Teacher's Room). I do this for about 2-3 months, then add up the points (correct answers) and give the winner a small prize.
    My 'Graffiti Board' has been really popular as well. Someone already pretty much mentioned it. I have a title above it that reads (in Japanese) 'You can write anything here as long as it is English.'

Bump.

I'm trying to think of some ideas for my English Board. They don't actually have a free board, but I've offered to buy one myself and bring it in. Any ideas? Anything is much appreciated!

Thanks!

-KG
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. "
    -- James Michener

Banned

weekly updates of whats happening in the premier league goes down well with the boys

Bump ...

I asked if I could do an English board and have been told yes. However, the students at my base school are verrrry low academic and I am sort of undecided as to what I should have on it. I'd like it to be vaguely informative (I was thinking of doing a country of the week section after discovering that some of the boys in 3rd grade couldn't even point to Japan on a world map ...) but their level is so low that anything above 'This is India. It is a very big country' will doubtless confuse them. I love the postbox idea but again, not sure if they can cope with writing sentences in English.

I want the students to actually look at it and be interested, and also hopefully get them interacting a bit ... (which is gonna be a big challenge). So, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep it low level but not so dumbed-down that it is just "What sports do you like?" etc.?
    always put off today what should have been done yesterday

Bump ...

I asked if I could do an English board and have been told yes. However, the students at my base school are verrrry low academic and I am sort of undecided as to what I should have on it. I'd like it to be vaguely informative (I was thinking of doing a country of the week section after discovering that some of the boys in 3rd grade couldn't even point to Japan on a world map ...) but their level is so low that anything above 'This is India. It is a very big country' will doubtless confuse them. I love the postbox idea but again, not sure if they can cope with writing sentences in English.

I want the students to actually look at it and be interested, and also hopefully get them interacting a bit ... (which is gonna be a big challenge). So, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep it low level but not so dumbed-down that it is just "What sports do you like?" etc.?
    always put off today what should have been done yesterday

If you're set on the "country-of-the-week" idea, then you should do it. I don't think there's anything wrong with using minimal text. Just put up lots and lots of pictures. Maybe a world map in the corner, with a big dot over the country of the week, and then a blow-up of the country, a little sign saying "This is India. It is very big. 1,200,000,000 people live there." (or however many), and then putting pics all over the map of famous places. You can write the names next to the famous places, which if nothing else will get them sounding out the words, right?

I'm just starting with this bulletin board stuff, too. If you're interested, I posted pics of my last 2 bulletin boards on my blog: Tara-sensei's Blog | Life as a gradually grokking gaijin The Halloween one was particularly popular. The kids (who are quite high-level) finished the crossword puzzle in a day, so I just put up a much more difficult wordsearch.

My first BB, a map of NYC, had pictures and little blurbs next to each pic, but the kids thought it was too much text so they didn't bother reading.

Please do share whatever you end up doing!

(Oh, PS-- Country-of-the-week sounds like a lot of work! I plan to update my board every 3-4 weeks)