Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residency tax

Default Residency tax

So I just found out we get this massively large residency tax bill (mine is 100,000yen) for every year we live in this country. Apparently even Japanese people have to pay it as well so I don't feel completely ripped off.

I hear JET reimburses you fully for your residency tax. How nice for the JET's! Do most teaching companies reimburse you for your residency tax? As nice as it would be, I don't think Interac reimburses you for your residency tax. Should they? I was a little surprised by this tax since it was barely mentioned at all. I guess that's just another one of the many prices you pay for choose to live and teach in Japan.

Default Re: Residency tax

don't feel too bad, if you had a better salary you would be paying a lot more than 100,000

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    So I just found out we get this massively large residency tax bill (mine is 100,000yen) for every year we live in this country. Apparently even Japanese people have to pay it as well so I don't feel completely ripped off.

I hear JET reimburses you fully for your residency tax. How nice for the JET's! Do most teaching companies reimburse you for your residency tax? As nice as it would be, I don't think Interac reimburses you for your residency tax. Should they? I was a little surprised by this tax since it was barely mentioned at all. I guess that's just another one of the many prices you pay for choose to live and teach in Japan.
    Interesting. Mine didn't come to 100,000 yen.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

I've just paid a 19man resident tax bill so stop complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I've just paid a 19man resident tax bill so stop complaining
    wtf??? Mine was a fourth of that. Of course, mine was probably calculated for over a four month period. Next year will be more expensive for me.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

That really sucks. Since I was only working for about 4 months last year mine was low at 7,700 yen. Not looking forward to it getting higher, but I still dont see how it could get as high as everyone elses. Even if it goes 3 times higher to cover the rest of the year...

JET isn't a company, office, or any sort of authoritative body. People on the JET Program are hired directly by a local or prefectural Board of Education, or rarely, a Private School. This Board of Education (BOE) will sometimes pay the fee for the ALT, CIR, or SEA, by taking out a small portion of each paycheck.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

what sucks is when the BOE gives you a little extra on your pay check each month but not enough that you really let on, but then the bill comes and you havent saved any of it and you are screwed. this is why i tell all our new jets during our job orientation just after they get here, when talking about money stuff, that they should ask that as soon as possible.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

1. JET is NOT a company and does NOT pay your residency tax - your CO does.
    2. It costs even more in England - ours is about 1000 pounds a year.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    JET isn't a company, office, or any sort of authoritative body. People on the JET Program are hired directly by a local or prefectural Board of Education, or rarely, a Private School. This Board of Education (BOE) will sometimes pay the fee for the ALT, CIR, or SEA, by taking out a small portion of each paycheck.
    Ah you know what I mean. So not all JET's get their residency tax reimbursed?

This info is for NON-JETs. (Cuz I don't know of a JET who has to pay, but if so maybe this info works for you too.)

If you make more that 1.9 million yen a year the tax is 10% of your income from the previous year (Jan-Dec). If you make less than that you only pay 5%.
    The average 1st year Interac's income (March-Dec of 1st year) means you pay around 9man or so because you make less than 1.9million yen. Same follows if you arrived in August it is even lower.

However the next year if you have been working from Jan to Dec you can look forward to a Residents Tax of 18-19man. This is the normal amount and you should prepare for it. This is because you will fall under the 10% bracket. Residents tax is the same about all over Japan now too so placement isn't a factor except how they break it down.

Just a thought for those staying on next year so you won't be surprised when it comes. Also Interac does not pay for this and most companies do not pay for it as well. However do remember the bonus at the end of your 2nd year contract that may help out a bit. (But it won't fully cover the tax either.)

This info is for NON-JETs.
    Last edited by Schuldich; July 2nd, 2009 at 13:14.

Be sure to ask your BOE JETs. I emailed and asked my BOE supervisor, and was told that I will be reimbursed the 19man residence tax the month following the tax bill (so they don't pay me a little extra to cover for the tax every month)... but that amount is only for my second year, in my first year I'll be paying about 4-5man...
    Last edited by Neb; July 2nd, 2009 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuldich View Post
    This info is for NON-JETs. (Cuz I don't know of a JET who has to pay, but if so maybe this info works for you too.)

If you make more that 1.9 million yen a year the tax is 10% of your income from the previous year (Jan-Dec). If you make less than that you only pay 5%.
    The average 1st year Interac's income (March-Dec of 1st year) means you pay around 9man or so because you make less than 1.9million yen. Same follows if you arrived in August it is even lower.
    Wow! No wonder why my tax was so low this year. Good thing I have said my money for when I have to pay more next year.

My third year on JET I paid 80,000.

This year, my fourth year, I'm paying 180,000.

The horror. The horror.

But residency tax is paid by your CO correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

Right it is. Though I completely forgot (see, my own fault) to put the extra money aside for the past 6 months. A common problem for many JETs.

I put aside about 80,000 because I figured it would be the same as last year. I was not expecting the 180,000. It just caught me a bit off guard.

Thank goodness you can pay over time, and that I'm staying in Japan for a bit longer.

Wow, I'm thinking about talking to my BOE directly and asking if they will reimburse my residency tax, even though we have no communication with them at all...lol

Wow, I'm thinking about talking to my BOE directly and asking if they will reimburse my residency tax, even though we have no communication with them at all...lol
    Let me know how that works out.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

I had no clue about this tax...
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    I had no clue about this tax...
    1st & 2nd year American ALT's don't have to pay it.
    Mark it zero!