Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Residency tax

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti99 View Post
    1st & 2nd year American ALT's don't have to pay it.
    That's lucky! Why is that?

I have heard this, but have never seen proof. I'm a 2nd year American and I got taxed. Do you have any info on this? It would be helpful to know.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Allahu akbar!

アメリカで生まれて、よかった。
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuldich View Post
    I have heard this, but have never seen proof. I'm a 2nd year American and I got taxed. Do you have any info on this? It would be helpful to know.
    We were required to fill out a 6061 form with IRS. Research the process. I think you may be qualified for it, but I'm not a tax accountant either.
    Last edited by elleohelle; July 14th, 2009 at 03:15.

FiercestCalm

Default Re: Residency tax

I think the 6061 form only negates the tax for the first year, though.

Why? No idea, one of the perks of the program I guess. At our contract signing ceremony, the kencho ALT instructs all 1st & 2nd year American ALT's (I'm pretty sure CIR`s are not eligible), and a few other countries (can't remember where off the top of my head) to fill out a form that is basically exemption from resident taxes. Again, this is only specific to the JET Program as far as I know. Here is some info from the official kencho newsletter:

What is Inhabitants’ Tax?
    JET participants who are liable to pay taxes in Japan will also be liable for the Inhabitants’ Tax. The annual Inhabitants’ Tax is a municipal and prefectural tax calculated on your previous year’s income (Jan. to Dec.). Although the Inhabitants’ Tax is calculated in accordance with your income, it may also vary from area to area. The amount is calculated and levied locally (i.e. by your city hall) and can vary between 10,000 JPY and 300,000 JPY. Those who do have to pay this tax will be reimbursed by the prefecture.

Who Pays?:
    1.Select 1st and 2nd Year JETs: ALTs from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Jamaica and Trinidad-Tobago, and all CIRs must pay. Irish, US and Finnish ALTs are exempt.)
    2.All 3rd, 4th and 5th Year JETs: (ALTs and CIRs must pay regardless of their nationality.)

How much?:
    As mentioned before, the amount is levied and calculated locally, and can be anything between 10,000 JPY and 300,000 JPY. I understand that there is a HUGE difference between having to pay 1man and 30man, but I am afraid I will not be able to answer questions about your individual Inhabitants’ Tax liabilities. As a rule of thumb though, as first years started work in July/August, they should only be liable to pay 5-6 months worth of the Inhabitants’ Tax, whereas 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th years can expect to pay a much larger amount. Please start putting money aside for this payment now!
    MUNICIPAL ALTs AND CIRs:
    You, too, are responsible for this tax according to the explanation I wrote under “Who Pays”. Your Contracting Organization (not the Prefecture) will reimburse you for the tax. Different COs do the reimbursement different – generally it’s either the way the Ken does it (paying you back in full after you submit a receipt) or it’s a series of payments given to you over the year, which you are supposed to save up to pay the tax when it becomes due. You’ll need to talk to your CO about which method they use if you haven’t already.

Ok, so it looks like this is for ken ALT's only. If your CO is the town/city, it looks like you've gotta pay. Hope this helps.
    Mark it zero!

I have a question. Your contracting organization stops reimbursing this after the first two years, correct?

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

That's what I am lead to belive. Good thing I am here for two years.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

I am going to be entering my 5th year and have never paid it. it comes in the mail and i just hand it over to the finance office here in kencho and a few weeks later i get a sheet i have to hanko saying i know they paid it for me.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Really? I didn't know the tax thing covered that, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

I don't think it's a JET thing so much as it's part of the tax agreement between America and Japan, having to do with our Visa status.

Hey everyone. I'm sorry for bumping this old topic but I was lead into thinking that Japanese income tax usually does not exceed 10k. So is it true that our contracting company (most likely either AEON or Amity for me) will take care of it for the first two years of taxes? Also, I found this site here: Taxes in Japan and calculated tax according to Amity's salary (285k/month for 12 months unless eikaiwas aren't year round) and it came out to around 550k tax, which is just as high as the US. Can anyone who has worked for Aeon or Amity clarify this? Thanks in advance!