Thread: Teaching Fellows

Default Teaching Fellows

Any Americans out there thought about doing Teach for America or any other teaching fellows programs in other cities in the US? Yeah, I know that you have to start out in the most underprivileged schools, but I am thinking about applying when the various applications become available. Right now I am thinking about NYC or Nashville. The upshot of these programs is that after three years you will also have a Master's in Education.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Teaching Fellows

I thought you were staying in japan?

Also, the school district I worked for before I came on to JET would have paid for me to get my Masters in Education. SO you might just want to get some teacher certification, get a job at decenet school system that will provide you with a masters as well.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Teach for America and Teaching Fellows programs are usually REALLY competitive. The application process is just as rigorous as JET. I applied for TFA and made it to the final stage but didn't make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

Quote Originally Posted by elleohelle View Post
    Teach for America and Teaching Fellows programs are usually REALLY competitive. The application process is just as rigorous as JET. I applied for TFA and made it to the final stage but didn't make it.
    Teach for America is actually more prestigious and harder to get. They are also pickier about majors. They crave math and science majors and want more concrete examples of actual skill. You actually teach rather than be a foreign panda entertaining the kiddies.

Not as much fun and you do work in hell-holes.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    I thought you were staying in japan?
    I am thinking down the road.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

TFA is very different from JET too. I'm not sure if it would help you in going back to Japan and applying abroad could be really difficult, if not impossible. I'm honestly glad I didn't get in. The program was not for me. You can be placed at pretty dangerous schools.
    Last edited by elleohelle; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:10.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

the first school i was placed at in osaka the kids had knives, took apart desks and threw them at each other; and hit the teachers.
    it's not just america.

seriously, how can you get a masters in education if you don't have an undergrad. degree or postgrad diploma in education?
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Packing to return to the greatest city in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    seriously, how can you get a masters in education if you don't have an undergrad. degree or postgrad diploma in education?
    At least in NYC, those without a relevant bachelor's have to do a little more than those with an undergrad in Education. IE, the year in student teaching and all mandatory seminars (child abuse and so on) as well as all the licensing tests.
    If they made people get a second BA to become teachers, they would have an even bigger issue filling spots than they do now, especially in math and science...
    Last edited by Paladia; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:22.
    We don't need no insulation!
    We don't need no birth control!
    No western toilets in the bathroom!
    Gaijins, leave them Japs alone!

Damnit, Jim! I'm a linguist, not a tape recorder!

Here are some links to give you more info.
    Chicago Teaching Fellows :: Help Chicago's students compete. Level the playing field.
    Home - Teaching Fellows

Teaching Fellows programs exist to get smart and ambitious people teaching in crummy schools.
    Last edited by elleohelle; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:29.

the first school i was placed at in osaka the kids had knives, took apart desks and threw them at each other; and hit the teachers.
    it's not just america.

education is not the only Masters you can get wihtout having a BA in the same field.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>

The same way you get any advanced degree in a different subject than your undergrad degree: you do the work for the advanced degree and probably some additional remedial material.
    "I have ... relations... with many of the students." -- Sai1

Quote Originally Posted by Paladia View Post
    At least in NYC, those without a relevant bachelor's have to do a little more than those with an undergrad in Education. IE, the year in student teaching and all mandatory seminars (child abuse and so on) as well as all the licensing tests.
    If they made people get a second BA to become teachers, they would have an even bigger issue filling spots than they do now, especially in math and science...
    I liked the NYC program because it seemed to let in a few more "fellows" than the other programs I have been looking at. In addition, I have never been to th Big Apple and would like to experience it. Yes, I know that Manhattan will be mega-experience, but I have read that places like Brooklyn and Queens are more affordable.

As for the danger, it is my time when it is my time. I am expecting the public school system to be more like the movie "New Jack City" (yes, I am dating myself, but I don't give a hoot) than Beverly Hills 90210. I've read that a lot of people that do go through the NYC program end up teaching in middle and upper-middle class schools in New York State.

Yes, eelleohelle, I have checked out Chitown's programs as well. I'd actually prefer to go back to school and get a teaching credential, but then you have to do a semester or so unpaid (in the mean time paying for life's necessities).

Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    The same way you get any advanced degree in a different subject than your undergrad degree: you do the work for the advanced degree and probably some additional remedial material.
    It isnot uncommon at all. In fact most of Chem. Eng.l proffers had bachelers degrees in fields other isnot uncommon at all. In fact most of Chem. Eng.l proffers had bachelers degrees in fields other than chemistry or chemical engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by cvmurrieta View Post
    In addition, I have never been to th Big Apple and would like to experience it. Yes, I know that Manhattan will be mega-experience, but I have read that places like Brooklyn and Queens are more affordable.
    I am a New Yorker. I was born and raised there. I have "the Accent", you know that.
    Manhattan is where the tourists go, where the museums are, where the "action" is. Truth told, very few New Yorkers live there anymore because we simply cannot afford it. Most of Manhattan is now rich out-of-town yuppies.
    Brooklyn and Queens (I'm a Queens girl myself) as well as the Bronx are getting more expensive by the day, but our public transportation systems are excellent and it is the neighborhoods of these boroughs where the REAL New York City happens. The best Chinese food is not found in Chinatown but in Flushing, Queens. Each of us has a favorite pizzeria, and few would claim a joint in Manhattan was the best. I love Manhattan as much as anyone else, but as a New Yorker the best real experience comes from Bensonhurst, Williamsburg, Riverdale, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Jamaica, Howard Beach...
    If you are considering New York, great. Don't discount the Boroughs. They'll treat you a lot better than Manhattan ever will.

PS: Staten Island doesn't count. Bergen County in Jersey is more a part of the City than Staten Island so don't fool yourself.
    Last edited by Paladia; July 4th, 2009 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladia View Post
    I am a New Yorker. I was born and raised there. I have "the Accent", you know that.
    Manhattan is where the tourists go, where the museums are, where the "action" is. Truth told, very few New Yorkers live there anymore because we simply cannot afford it. Most of Manhattan is now rich out-of-town yuppies.
    Brooklyn and Queens (I'm a Queens girl myself) as well as the Bronx are getting more expensive by the day, but our public transportation systems are excellent and it is the neighborhoods of these boroughs where the REAL New York City happens. The best Chinese food is not found in Chinatown but in Flushing, Queens. Each of us has a favorite pizzeria, and few would claim a joint in Manhattan was the best. I love Manhattan as much as anyone else, but as a New Yorker the best real experience comes from Bensonhurst, Williamsburg, Riverdale, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Jamaica, Howard Beach...
    If you are considering New York, great. Don't discount the Boroughs. They'll treat you a lot better than Manhattan ever will.

PS: Staten Island doesn't count. Bergen County in Jersey is more a part of the City than Staten Island so don't fool yourself.
    Yes, Paladia, I know that you are a New Yorker. That is why I was looking forward to what you had to say. I meant to say that I knew Manhattan would be "mega-EXPENSIVE". I've never been to Manhattan, but I have lived in super pricey So Cal.

Aren't the Mets in Queens at the new stadium? (I can't get away from my sports interest).

Thanks for the rundown on the Boroughs!

I meant to say that I knew Manhattan would be "mega-EXPENSIVE". I've never been to Manhattan, but I have lived in super pricey So Cal.
    The key isn't so much that it's expensive (Brookyln's beginning to rival Manhattan to be honest) but a lot of us find the 'NY Flavor' gone from Manhattan because noone sane can afford it anymore.

Aren't the Mets in Queens at the new stadium? (I can't get away from my sports interest).0
    Yeah, Citi Field is pretty far deep in Queens. And THE YANKEES SUCK.

Banned

it's not just america.

Is the Australian college/university system more similar to the American or British system?