Thread: 2010 JET Quota After All?

Default 2010 JET Quota After All?

Browsing for Monbusho info yesterday, I came across this blurb on the JETAANY site:

Quote Originally Posted by JETAANY
    Special JET Alumni Quota for MEXT Scholarship
    The Consulate General of Japan in New York is pleased to announce that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport, Science and Technology (MEXT- Monbukagakusho) have set up a special quota available only for JET alumni to be the recipients of the 2010 MEXT Research Student Scholarship. This is for graduate level research study in a Japanese university starting April 2010 for 24 months or starting October 2010 for 18 months. Qualified recipients will have the possibility of extending their scholarship to complete a degree in Japan if successfully enrolled in a master's course or doctoral course.
    Application Deadline: Tuesday, May 26, 2009
    - Basic Qualifications for the JET Alumni quota:
    (1) You have to be a former JET Program participant
    (2) You have to be a US citizen to apply through the Consulates in US
    (3) You must have been born on or after April 2, 1975
    Sounds like there's a JET quota this year (at least in NY), even if there wasn't a JET-only round of applications. Has anyone else heard about this?

Anyone else here waiting hopefully for word of an interview, for that matter?
    Oh, no! My cola!

Default Re: 2010 JET Quota After All?

I had received an email from the NY consulate earlier in the year saying they were not offering a JET quota this year. But that was before that anouncment so they might have changed their minds in between the time I asked them and then.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)