Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packing

Default Packing

Is so depressing.

My sister just left yesterday so today I have decided to start packing. I just assembled some cardboard boxes, about to drag my suitcase out.

How is your packing going? I don't want to leave Japan and it feels like if i procrastinate about packing that will delay the inevitable.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: Packing

I am not leaving this year, but in preparation for next year, we have been living as minimal as possible. i just threw out (well donated) a bunch of clothes, and shelves and floor chairs just last week. i hate packing and my wife does too, but she is really good at it, so i usualy just get to sit back and relax.
    good luck dombay, sorry we never got to meet up, could have been a fun night methinks.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

pension received
    still in the middle of no where, but in the U.S at least

I packed up 3 boxes and mailed them home last week, now I'm hoping to fit all the rest of my stuff into just 2 big suitcases, I can't bring myself to getting them out yet. Knowing me I'll pack the 2nd (my bags need to be shipped to the airport on the 3rd) I hate packing! so I procrastinate as much as possible.

I find it difficult to pack with all the other junk in my apartment too, so once I move stuff into the new person apartment maybe packing will be a bit easier.

I've got to get rid of a lot of stuff, the trash people are really not going to like me.
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

We got out with 2x20kg suitcases/backpacks, 2xlaptop bags [carry on] and 3x10kg boxes. Everything else was given or thrown away.

Dombay - I didn't want to leave either, but Japan's not going anywhere and you can always go back there - for a visit or even to work. You have plans, remember? I didn't think I'd be this happy a year on, given the tears I cried when I left, but it's amazing how quickly you can adjust.
    Having said that, get drunk and have a cry about all the things you'll miss. It worked for me.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Yeah I've kinda bought as little as possible in recent months but um...I haven't started packing yet except I threw a couple books in a box. I really should get on this as I leave a month from today.
    HAPPY HAPPY FUN CUTE HAPPY

HEARTS AND STARS

I think I'm a lesbian now.
    But not really.

I've started packing. I'm onto my third box. The first was 8kg (winter clothes), 2nd was 13kg (books and shoes) and I haven't taken the last to the post office yet to be weighed and sent. I have one more spare box which i think I will fill as well, but I'm going to try and limit myself to these 4 and my 20kg suitcase, laptop bag and carry on bag.

I'm doing a lot of packing now because I have to move out of my apartment on the 3rd of August and every weekend until them seems to be really jam packed with sayonara parties, etc, and I'm travelling down to Karatsu-shi,Saga-ken for a few days in August before I head off to watch my friends compete at the Sailing World Championships.

I've packed a grand total of nothing. Started throwing stuff away though, and that's been kind of liberating. I get sentimental just clearing my desk at school, so when I start on the real stuff it's going to be super horrible I'd imagine. Japan will always be here - but my friends here won't always be together and we won't be in this situation again, and that's what gets me sad.

I bought some of those vacuum bags that make all your clothes shrink to the size of a pea, so hopefully I can send most of the clothes home now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissey View Post
    I've packed a grand total of nothing. Started throwing stuff away though, and that's been kind of liberating. I get sentimental just clearing my desk at school, so when I start on the real stuff it's going to be super horrible I'd imagine. Japan will always be here - but my friends here won't always be together and we won't be in this situation again, and that's what gets me sad.

I bought some of those vacuum bags that make all your clothes shrink to the size of a pea, so hopefully I can send most of the clothes home now.
    yeah cleaning out the desk is hard, I've actually been tidying up the hard drive on the computer they gave me today, getting all my files ready to just transfer over to my USB on my last day. I agree about Japan always being here, and I will come again, but i feel lik even if I come back again the people won't be here and thats what has made my time here the best!

The vacuum bags are amazing I bought a heap of tham and they have survived vaccumed enroute to australia. i got my sis to check my winter clothes and she said she couldnt tell theyd been na ship for a month.

Where does one get spacebags from?

i have some daiso ones but i think they won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post

I've used the daiso ones and they seem fine, you might be able to get them at daiki or other department stores in the storage/travel section but they are bound to be more expensive. The daiso ones aren't the rollable type with the vavle but the vaccum ones.

I will be out of my house on July 31st, so it is approaching rapidly. I have begun the process of throwing shit out and weeding through all of the junk in my place. I don't really want to be doing it yet, but I figure the sooner I get started the better.

On Sunday I got out one of my two suitcases and started preliminarily filling it with crap I won't need in my last few weeks. I'll probably have to reorganize it all before I send it to the airport, but it will be less work with more or less everything already in the bag.

I am actually anticipating having some extra room to work with. I took home almost a full suitcase of crap I wasn't using and extra clothes last summer, and I was able to send a full suitcase of stuff home with my sister when he came to visit. That said, I absolutely hate dealing with al of this. The act of packing seems to symbolize the huge change that is coming. It would have been so much easier to put it off for another year, but then I would just be dealing with this same mess next July.
    "I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office."
    Washington DC, 12 May, 2008 GWB

pension received
    still in the middle of no where, but in the U.S at least

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post

i saw some at Kahma, but they were huge, i think they just didn't have any of the smaller sizes in stock though.
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Got mine at Don Quijote.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissey View Post
    Got mine at Don Quijote.
    Where's that?

I'd better go and buy some.

LOFT has space bags too.

Shops smart, shops S-Mart Kitsune's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuroneko87 View Post
    The vacuum bags are amazing I bought a heap of tham and they have survived vaccumed enroute to australia. i got my sis to check my winter clothes and she said she couldnt tell theyd been na ship for a month.
    +1!

Space bags are so awesome. I packed all my winter clothes into one 20lb cube of cotton and polyester. Takes up only half of a suitcase
    - The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed -

"
    When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons."

Quote Originally Posted by BritishChris
    I am not cranky and pissy, I'm a ray of fucking sunshine.

Thursday the black cat guys are coming to take my luggage to the airport! eeeek! and Yaaay! Soooo excited to be going home, but man is it a lot of work to get all packed. I am still not sure if Im going to bring back both of my winter coats back. hmmm

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

damn its that close that people will be going home. well hope your stay in japan was a good one and good luck from here on out!!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Yea the black cat's visiting me Thursday too.

Boxes finishing up tonight.

Apartment inspection Wednesday.

It's all just really sad. I cannot see myself enjoying Sydney much come next week

I suck at life. That is all.

dombay I wish I was feeling as down about leaving as you are since that's how I felt when I went home after study abroad. But uh...I want a motherfucking cheesesteak. Working on that Philly bulletin board for like two weeks sure made me homesick.
    HAPPY HAPPY FUN CUTE HAPPY

HEARTS AND STARS

I think I'm a lesbian now.
    But not really.