Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Packing

Paul

Default Re: Packing

The only way to clean is to get a massive binliner or box and just go through the apartment chucking as much as you possibly can into it. Then dump it.

Repeat several times.

I've done about 3 sweeps of the apartment, throwing out 3 to 4 binliners full of shit every time, and theres still shit left over.

pension received
    still in the middle of no where, but in the U.S at least

thanks yuffie. goodluck
    i was lucky and my school let me take monday off so i can do a big clean and get organized before the teachers come to move stuff.
    I've done 1 sweep and came up with 2 garbage bags of trash and 1 box of stuff to ship home, that I should have shipped last month with my other boxes.
    I'll do another sweep as I move shit out and hopefully then i'll be done and ready to pack my luggage.
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Just moved out of my JET apartment and in with my girlfriend yesterday.

Felt kinda sad to be leaving the apartment...............................................
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

KuroNeko and the shipping company picked up my bags and boxes today! I just have to pack my carry-on luggage and I'll be ready to move out on Friday. The hard/stressful part is over!

OK so I was worried about stuff fitting but it fits just fine...the overweight charge is what's gonna get me though. $150, that's the same as an extra bag! And I was originally packing thinking 23 kilos, but turns out if you're leaving FROM Asia TO America it's 20 kilos. I have been living here for a YEAR.

The number of boxes went up to 4 today, and they are going to rape me as well.
    HAPPY HAPPY FUN CUTE HAPPY

HEARTS AND STARS

I think I'm a lesbian now.
    But not really.

Just moved out my apartment this morning as its my last day on JET, this weekend was a nightmare filled with clearing my stuff completely (no successor - I was told 1 week ago) and moving my stuff to my new place for 2 weeks. I had my inspection this morning and got my deposit back so am super happy!! No more stressing! I have to sit at my desk until 4.30pm twiddling my thumbs then im free!!

pension received

Just waiting for the water people to come and turn off the water and give me my bill. Then off to the station and off to Tokyo. Leaving Japan Wednesday! Can't believe its all ending. My suitcases are on the way to the airport, they were just at the right weight but I got a few last minute gifts and my carry on is too big, so one bag is going to be over weight. Oh well. I'm just happy that I got everything in them.
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Bringing back the PACKING thread since there are only a few months left for us non-recontracting JETs.

Does anyone have experience sending luggage FROM Japan TO their home country? I know you can send it to the airport, but what if you are going on a trip on the way home (not going directly home or back to Japan after the trip) and would like it send directly home?

I also wanna hear about peoples packing woes. Is anyone going with a shipping company? I mostly have clothes, books, and a ridiculous number of cute knick-knacks, and can't decide if I should try a company like Shipmates, or just go with the Japan Post.

pension received

Ladma I sent most of my knick knacks and clothes home using japan post sea mail ( a group of us got a 10% (? maybe more) discount because we had 10 boxes all together (they don't have to be going to the same place but everyone has to use the sea mail option) everything made it home about a month after I did and nothing was broken or damaged.
    I also had a LOT of books so I shipped them using Japan media mall it was really cheap they took about 4 months to get here though (i'm in Vermont so they had to go by sea and then land, I also mailed them in late May so I wasn't without them for long.)
    Overall it was really easy the hardest part for me was getting my boxes and me a ride to the post office to meet up with my friends. I found out though that if you are not going for the group discount that you can request a pick up a representative from the post office will come to you and take your boxes.

yay vermont!
    but to serious issues- sea mail...when I look on the japan post website I see air mail- where is the sea mail option? Is this something you have to go to the post office to ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by onyxori View Post
    yay vermont!
    but to serious issues- sea mail...when I look on the japan post website I see air mail- where is the sea mail option? Is this something you have to go to the post office to ask for?
    It's also known as "surface mail", cuz the ocean is a surface?

yohgrl23: thanks for the info. I might try to send a box of books via media mail, but I hear it's a little troublesome, i.e. only some post offices do it, and they have to check the contents. How was your experience?

I got a quote from Shipmates for shipping a cubic meter and holy hell, don't think I'll be going that route. >.<

pension received

Ladama - sorry I only check this thing every once in a while. Surface mail is the correct name I just couldn't remember it.
    the media mail was fairly simple. I did have to go to the main post office in my area (Luckily it was fairly close) they check the books and tie them in small groups with the plastic ribbon like stuff. A friend who did it with me had some papers inside one of her books and they had her take it out. Most of my books were pre-packed in shoe boxes and I stuffed cards and stuff in the bottom of the box and they didn't notice.
    Then they put it all in a Japan post bag (mail sack) supposedly the mail sack is supposed to be returned to them but my small rural post office at home had no idea what to do with it so i just kept it.

i've just about finished packing about 90% of the things that will be coming back with me.

the total comes out to 10 boxes which will become 11 later this week once i wash and pack my bike.

....yes, i have too much shit.

i have arranged for pickup this weekend and will be shipping via the sea shipment service of International Shipping and Moving from Japan / Moving Company. i got a quote of 63,000yen for a cubic meter from Kochi to the port of Brisbane, Australia. i could have gotten door-to-door shipment, but that was really pricey... but as much as my boxes weigh (sucks being a bookwhore ) and considering how many of them i have, 63,000yen doesn't seem too bad...? but what do i know. -_-; all i know is that jluggage's sea service doesn't care about weight and will get my stuff to its destination quicker than Japan Post.

sucks that the pickup guy apparently wont come up to my apartment and get the boxes since there's no elevator and i'm on the 3rd floor, though.... i may end up breaking my back.

From Kyoto to Seattle, Washington, I just sent 39kg of stuff (mostly books and clothes) via Surface Mail. It was 16,000 yen which was way less than I was expecting. Also, Japan Post will come to your door to pick up your stuff-no charge-if you call and ask them too. Just make sure you've already picked up the green address sheets and stuck them to the top of the box after filling everything out. They'll weigh your stuff, take your money, and haul it away for you!

I came over with three pieces of luggage- and I'm trying really hard to stick to leaving with the same or less. With no replacement it sucks to have to bin so much good stuff. Not like shelves or tables (yet) but that extra bottle of olive oil and the giant stash of toothpaste I brought from home for fear of gnarly teeth. I find it makes me more sad to throw out that sort of stuff as opposed to tables and chairs and whatnot.

This weekend I have to take my bass apart ship it. *sad face*

Actual question: anyone know if that whole thing about Americans only being allowed 23kgs when returning from Asia is true or not? I would think that if they let you come in with 50 and change they should let you leave with 50 and change...but that might be making too much sense.

Oh packing... that's something I really don't want to think about...
    I have a friend coming to visit me today, for 2 weeks so when they leave I'll see how much I can send back with them. That still gives me 2 weeks before I have to leave my apartment. I figure I can fit half of it in my suitcases and then I'll have to ship 2 or 3 boxes. I'm using the post office, just because it's close to my house and easy to use.

Does anyone know how many days in advance you need to ship your luggage to the airport?

anyone have any advice on customs charges? i'm preparing stuff to ship back to the UK, but I sent a present home worth 1man and I was charged customs tax for it because the people there are idiots. is there some kind of form i need to fill out, or is listing the contents and value of the box on a sheet of paper enough?
    If you've been placed in Kagoshima then let me know - I'll try to help find your predecessor.

@bighungrysteve:

::copied and pasted::
    All mail that enters the United Kingdom may be examined by customs, but normally letters, postcards and packets containing only documents and similar forms of correspondence are excluded.

If you are receiving a package from overseas (unless it’s from another EU Country), please be aware that it may incur customs charges. Any package assessed by HM Revenue and customs as being liable for customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.

Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £18 are liable to import VAT. Gifts between private individuals over the value of £40 are also liable for VAT. Goods and gifts over these values may also be liable for customs duty. You no longer have to pay customs duty for goods up to the value of £135, however you will still be required to pay import VAT and excise duty where applicable.

For more details please read the Royal Mail guide to receiving goods from overseas. You can also check the [URL="http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/internet.htm"][

Customs Declarations – CN22
    For gifts and goods up to £270 in value you'll need complete one of these:
    Customs declaration CN22 (opens in a new window)

hope that helps! ;-)