Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking in Japan

Banned

Default Cooking in Japan

I've already heard that Japanese kitchens are tiny and that the ovens are very small. I'm a big fan of cooking so I am curious as to how everyone has found cooking in Japan.

For example, are the ovens really that small? Could you bake a very small pie in them, or really only pizza? Can you buy bigger ones?

What western recipes have you been able to/not been able to use in Japan?

I already eat a lot of rice (for the rice cooker, thank you Jesus). But I also love other traditional western fare so I'm just wondering how much I will have to adapt!

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Cooking in Japan

You know traditionally with a meal only a small scoop of rice is eaten?

Anyway, you can buy sepearte ovens if you so need. With the exception of cheese and dairy products, many goods can be found in Japan. If you go to an import store you can probably get what you need.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Oven? What's this oven you speak of?

I certainly don't have one.

Well, yeah, my apartment did not have an oven when I came here.

I ended up buying a big toaster oven that does the trick, though you can buy some decent sized plug in ovens here.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>

Deleted

I have an oven. It's kind of like an extra large toaster that you can set the temperature on. I can fit a 9x9 pan in it, and it is tall enough to roast a small chicken. The most annoying part is that I can't turn off the top heating element so my bread always burns on top before its cooked through.

Some people have a microwave / oven combo appliance.

I had a great kitchen at home, and my kitchen here is definitely a lot smaller, but you can make it work. I have a lot less tools here because there's no room for them though.

i eat stew, all the time.------- if you dig soups like I do, splurge on a nice, expensive pot. I got a really nice stainless steel 36L (huge) pot for about 7000yen at a recycleshop-- being huge, it also doubles up as my beer making pot. its awesome

I have a small microwave/oven/toaster combo and then a toaster oven with a temp setting. I make breads and pies and cookies and other goodies in my toaster oven all the time! Mmm, pizza bagels!

It depends what you want to do in the kitchen but your idea of ovens here Hikari is probably different to back home. Most Japanese kitchens have a two ring camping stove type set-up with a small grill underneath. Western style ovens can be very expensive. Most people also have an all in one microwave/grill/oven but it's only the size of a standard microwave.

I have a small microwave/oven combo. I can bake a few things like cookies and cakes in small batches. It's just big enough to hold a normal sized pie plate. I also have a toaster oven but I can't set the temperature on it, just the watts.

My kitchen is very small with not much counter space. The gas range has two burners and a little tray to cook fish in. I think this is typical for Japanese kitchens.

I don't cook much, but you can find many western ingredients here, or at least suitable substitutes. Some things are just a little different, like the size and shape of some vegetables.

Banned

Thanks for the comments. I don't expect to have a big enough kitchen to roast full chickens etc, but I quite like making pies and baking so I was just wondering whether I would still be able to do that. Plus it would be nice to introduce any JP friends to my abysmal 'cultural' cooking!

I'm thinking mainly about pies and bakery like cottage pie, shepherds pie, steak and ale, shortbread, (clootie dumpling?), deep fried mars bars (only kidding), tablet (but no oven for that).................. I like my food.

But I'm happy to live on some rice and vegetables and sauteed meat, but not lotus root!

Are you a JET?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Are you a JET?
    If I were, I wouldn't be asking about the kitchens, ね.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    Then what does your signature mean?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Then what does your signature mean?
    It means the 2009 application is defunct, dead, kaput.

And that I am applying again for the 2010 intake. Never too early to prepare, in my books.

It means the 2009 application is defunct, dead, kaput.

And that I am applying again for the 2010 intake. Never too early to prepare, in my books.
    OK, so you are and aren't a JET. I was just asking a simple question.

I've already heard that Japanese kitchens are tiny and that the ovens are very small. I'm a big fan of cooking so I am curious as to how everyone has found cooking in Japan.

For example, are the ovens really that small? Could you bake a very small pie in them, or really only pizza? Can you buy bigger ones?
    There are no ovens traditionally in a Japanese home. Only toaster ovens.

Are you currently living in Japan?

Does anyone know where/how I can buy organic produce or organic products in Japan?
    I know most of the produce is straight from local farms, and I'm glad of that, but I also care about pesticides.

Quote Originally Posted by rain_endless View Post
    Does anyone know where/how I can buy organic produce or organic products in Japan?
    I know most of the produce is straight from local farms, and I'm glad of that, but I also care about pesticides.
    Edit: They have some farmer's markets around sometimes.
    Last edited by Spring; July 7th, 2009 at 11:32.

I cook almost every day. I got one of these big toaster oven, but my girlfriend parents have a real oven at home, I have roasted chicken, made roasted beef and pork and I am thinking about making a lasagna next weekend.

If you don't have an oven, there is always an old lady who does. I have baked many time in my little village, I even found a men who had a kickass pizza oven.

There is two farmers market in my area, the product might not be organic certified, but I was told that many farmer use very little pesticide. I go to the market every day to pic up fresh produce.

If you like cooking, Japan is a great place, but your kitchen will be tiny.

Shepherds Pie - cooks okay but hard to get that golden crust look on the top using those combo ovens.

Does anyone know where to get a western oven by the way?