Thread: JETAA?

Default JETAA?

Joined?

I did.

The BD thread about this turned a bit BD like so let's ask here.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: JETAA?

I am going to join. But maily for business contacts/networking.
    I would be willing to help out with a predeparture orientation or sit on a interview panel for new jets in the future. Most of the JETAA peeps that ran our pre-depart and such were kinda weird japanophiles, i would like to counteract that.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Yea the ones we got in Sydney for our pre-departure stuff I was sort of expecting that but no, not at all. They seemed like really normal people.

Plus they know where the good Japanese food is in town.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80 View Post
    I am going to join. But maily for business contacts/networking.
    I would be willing to help out with a predeparture orientation or sit on a interview panel for new jets in the future. Most of the JETAA peeps that ran our pre-depart and such were kinda weird japanophiles, i would like to counteract that.
    I thought some of the ones in LA were a bit cliquey and arrrogant because they had lived in Japan whereas they had assumed most of us had not lived there as long as they had (for the record: I had lived in Osaka from 1994-1999 when most of these ex-JETs in LA were probably at least still in junior high or high school).

With that said, I'll probably join the Eastern Japan branch or one back in another US state. Of course, if I end up teaching in Korea, then I'll join the Seoul branch.

It's good there are JETAAs around the globe.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by cvmurrieta View Post
    With that said, I'll probably join the Eastern Japan branch
    I have heard a few bad things about that chapter. I guess people that live in Japan don't really need JETAA to keep in touch with Japanese things so most people don't join and it doesn't improve.

I still like the London JETAA folks there is a random mix of people working in different fields...and no japanophiles (hmmm...I speak Japanese and work in a japanese company so maybe I am the biggest japanophile out of them.)

To be honest though, when I first went to council meetings it seemed pretty cliquey. The whole council had been working together for years and were really good mates. (Most of them left at the end of last year)

It just means I am extra careful not to be like that if we have events / or if new people join!!
    Last edited by melty; July 14th, 2009 at 22:38.

Both the Rocky Mountain and Texas JETAAs are quite active and grounded. You'll find wankers wherever you look if you look hard enough.
    Who's your user, program?

Do the Alumni Chapters ever lead to actual jobs?

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

check out jetwit.com
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Quote Originally Posted by Let'sgoJapan View Post
    Do the Alumni Chapters ever lead to actual jobs?
    Of course they do.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Quote Originally Posted by cvmurrieta View Post
    I thought some of the ones in LA were a bit cliquey and arrrogant because they had lived in Japan whereas they had assumed most of us had not lived there as long as they had (for the record: I had lived in Osaka from 1994-1999 when most of these ex-JETs in LA were probably at least still in junior high or high school).
    The ones from chicago were prettty arrogant as well. One guy who hadn't been in Japan for like 10 years refused to believe the large number of us that were telling him you can use a post office ATM to withdraw cash. Then this weird girl who spent a whole year (!) in Japan would insert these random "mmms" when she paused or was thinking, kind of like Japanese people do. The thing is, at one point she was like "see how I just said 'mmm' there, that's very Japanese and I still do it because of the time I spent in Japan."

Any idea how we can get on the interview panels? I'd love to do that this year.

I joined my chapter after returning home as well. It's pretty nice. Not sure about the interview panels... just ask people at the consulate?
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

Eager to crush dreams are we?

patjs: How long had she been home?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Eager to crush dreams are we?

patjs: How long had she been home?
    Not sure, had to been at least a year as this was June and she had a job at some consulting firm. It was just typical, weird JET behavior ( like, I've been in Japan a year so now I know everything about the country).