Thread: New Administrator

Default New Administrator

As you know, finding a good administrator is tricky business. You have to bring someone on board who has good social skills, a sense of diplomacy, commands respect, and has the ability to manage people. On the other hand, they must also have the ability to run and administrate a server, perform upgrades, and provide new features. Basically, you need someone who is both MacGuyver and Reagan.

Unfortunately, those individuals are very few and far between. Far more often, people are either well-adapted socially and managerially, or have excellent technical and server skills. Our site is no exception – of all the candidates that I was able to consider for leadership, none were able to provide both the ability to effectively manage the forum socially and technically. Because of this, I have split the role of Administrator into two parts.

The first role – that of Server Administrator – will have the responsibility of ensuring that we as a site operate smoothly and effectively. The SA will provide the vast technical experience needed to run the forum. Before, the role was essentially filled by Sciby. Unfortunately, Sciby became quite busy with real life, and I needed someone who was able to act in a greater capacity.

This presented me with a serious problem. I am able to run a server, but I am by no means good at it. I'm much more suited to policy, diplomacy, and managerial work. As many of you may remember, I crashed the server on several occasions just by being a dumbass and accidentally deleting an apostrophe here or a semicolon there.

I needed outside help, so I took on kek as an advisor. He proved to be extraordinarily helpful, and I ended up giving him more and more access to the various functions of the site. For approximately a month now, he's had full administrative access and has been running the server. I'm sure all of you have noticed the increased stability, speed, and features that have been added.

Now kek is our full-time server administrator. He will control absolutely no social aspect of this site. He does not have the ability to ban, and will not change site policy. He built ITIL from scratch, and as such has an in-depth knowledge of how the underlying architecture of the site works. He is by far the best candidate for this half of the job.

I will announce the new Public Administrator later, as even though we have selected a candidate, we need to ensure that they are able to carry out all of their duties in an effective manner.

As always, feedback is welcome.

Paul

Default Re: New Administrator

Hey all,

Trivial has pretty much summed the situation up perfectly, but there's a few things I would like to add.

This is in no way intended to defend my prior actions, but meant to explain and make a vow to you not to do it again. When I came back as kek, it was 100% intended as a troll as you all know. I was bored, and with stacks of free time on my hands like every other JET in the country, I just wanted something to do. Anyway, I'm crap at trolling and it quickly went to shit. When people then kept bringing up the bullshit over the most infamous shitstorm ever, I just got fed up and thats what led to the general dickishness. It won't happen again. I took a break from ITIL for a while then Trivial moved the site to a new host and had several major technical problems. I helped out because I don't want to see ITIL die / lose members and thats what gave me the job of looking after the server side of things.

The deal me and Trivial have, was that he deals with the public, and I stay locked in the basement beside the server, fixing it whenever it decides to throw a wobbly. It's worked out well and I really enjoy looking after the server. Anything public related / moderation related, that's all up to Trivial. Because of all the crap in the past, I'm never putting myself in that situation again. You might have noticed all my recent posts are non-offensive, bland, and generally just technical in nature. I've got other stuff to entertain me

Anyway, I vow to keep the server trouble free as much as I can and help out Trivial with the technical aspects of the site. Anything else is up to him.

Onegaishimasu!

Paul

I'm happy that you're backing to being Paul.

I preemptively celebrated the old times by changing myself to 'Daiymo' with 5 stars.
    I always dreamed for having more than 4, then the whole thing changed. Luckily I can change myself now.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

The deal me and Trivial have, was that he deals with the public, and I stay locked in the basement beside the server, fixing it whenever it decides to throw a wobbly.
    "bubble gum is what i like to chew"
    Last edited by Mr. Plainview; August 3rd, 2009 at 13:09.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Paul

Cheers Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The deal me and Trivial have, was that he deals with the public, and I stay locked in the basement beside the server, fixing it whenever it decides to throw a wobbly. It's worked out well and I really enjoy looking after the server. Anything public related / moderation related, that's all up to Trivial. Because of all the crap in the past, I'm never putting myself in that situation again. You might have noticed all my recent posts are non-offensive, bland, and generally just technical in nature. I've got other stuff to entertain me
    Sounds like the best solution for everyone's concerns, desires and abilities - good luck and welcome... er.. back? Unback? Unkek? Eh, you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Sciby; July 17th, 2009 at 19:15.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Does this mean we'll get awesome shitstorms again?
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Wait.

I've been away for a bit.

Let me get this straight.

Paul is back and Ini is moderator now?

Yup, the shit has really hit the fan, as they say...

What was the refund policy again?

It's quite simple:

We believe that you will enjoy our online web forum service. If you are not satisfied with our service, we are always open to your suggestions to imporve it. As an online service provider we do not provide refunds for the service you consumed. It is important to note that all service purchases made at ithinkimlost.com are final. We have submitted this fact to PayPal and our Merchant account processor. If indeed we do have to give the customer something back due to not performing up to our stated performance standards, the remittance shall be in the form of an in-kind service or an asset (shitstorm, naughty pm, o'rama beverage) exchange. Please be aware that we do not take the refund process lightly and recommend that you take the time to read the product description prior to making your purchase final. Remittances are issued at the discretion of the company management within 30-days period after date of purchase. In your claim, please, include explanation of reasons for a refund, and your order information. Prior to ordering, please, make sure you have carefully read and understood the product's system requirements. If you are not sure about product compatibility, or have questions about product features, please contact our Client Support Service. All inquiries are free of charge. Upon confirmation of your request for a refund, you must also destroy all posts you may have made or stored in any place, as well as uninstall the software from any computers owned or controlled by you where you have installed the software. All licenses you may have to use the software will be immediately terminated, and any further use of the software will be an infringement of copyrights as well as other intellectual property rights. No refunds are issued for provided services (including product installation, customization and software development) if provided services meet predefined specifications.

All inquiries should be directed to danielplainview
    Last edited by Mr. Plainview; August 3rd, 2009 at 18:53.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplainview View Post
    It can be found underneath the futon that dom is lying on at a place called Atlas in Okayama.

Dom's pretty hard to move.
    Fixed it for you.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'