Thread: Function: Thank you

Default Function: Thank you

I frequent another forum were there exists a nifty lil feature (imo) that allows one to thank a previous poster for their input to a thread. It takes the form of a simple 'thank you' link beside the 'edit' and 'quote' link at the bottom of a post. It is used to (obviously) thank a poster for their contribution to a thread, express agreement/support with a sentiment or proposal and is an effortless way to contribute to a thread when one doesn't want to bog it down with repetitive posts. Thoughts?

Bear in mind I don't know anything regarding the feasibility or difficulty of applying such a function.
    Action, must be taken. We don't need the key, we'll break in.

Default Re: Function: Thank you

to what end?

In terms of purpose? Different users use it in different ways from what I can gather. A lot of the time I use to express agreement with a poster instead of making a post to that effect. Sometimes users thank posts that they find humourous or informative. Sometimes users thank posts that they share the same sentiment as. Sometimes it's merely used as a brown-nosing lovefest tool for users to lick ass. I'm sure there are other alternatives. Maybe it's not all that useful but it is something I like and possibly use more regularly than actually posting on other forums.

In general on forums I am a reader rather than a poster.

do users really care if people agree with what they have to say? The removal of the "+1" posts might be nice but it just strikes me as a useless enterprise

On this board? I'd venture a hell yeah. Beyond mere agreement I think it's a way to participate in a thread without actually posting, however mundane that method may be. If it's not doable, it's not doable. If it is, what's the harm?

but how would your participation be acknowledged? A counter on each post showing how many people agreed with it? After the novelty wears off will people take the time to click thank you on every post they agree with?

Ah, I didn't explain that bit. I thought it was a common feature on other forums. Apologies! When one thanks a post the username is displayed in a subfield beneath that post.

wouldn't that just clog the board up? if everyone clicks thank you on every 3rd post we would only fit a few posts on each page

No, it shouldn't. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow and post it so you can see how it looks. It takes up very little space.

Sorry, no screen shot. Check out this thread and you'll see how it looks:

Man charged $23 quadrillion for a pack of cigarettes - boards.ie

I think a +1 button might be useful in reducing post clutter if there were some way to implement it cleanly, and I have occasionally missed something like it here. It can lead to weird +1-dick-measuring contests, sometimes, where people participate in threads more to show off and get agreement than to converse, but that would never happen here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    If you were DJing a party I would rock up with my bunches of purple grapes stuffed into my bra, spilling a beer over myself, and harass you to play "Boom Boom Dollar" by King Kong & D'Jungle Girls until you called the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takochu~* View Post
    I didn't take any offense to it, I'm a pretty understandable person.

pension received
    still in the middle of no where, but in the U.S at least

so it's like the like button on facbook?
    as more of a reader than a poster on this site i don't mind the idea
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Paul

I'm not sold on the idea. I think it's a waste of screen estate and serves no function other than to enlarge the e-peen of the original poster. Who cares if someone finds the post interesting? So yea, not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

+1, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think a +1 button might be useful in reducing post clutter if there were some way to implement it cleanly, and I have occasionally missed something like it here. It can lead to weird +1-dick-measuring contests, sometimes, where people participate in threads more to show off and get agreement than to converse, but that would never happen here.
    I also think so.

This is a topic that hasn't been discussed in nearly a year, but it's nice to know your opinion.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Quote Originally Posted by helenkeller579 View Post
    I also think so.
    And as such a longstanding contributing member of the community your opinion is respected here.

Also I saw that movie about you. It was touching.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    And as such a longstanding contributing member of the community your opinion is respected here.

Also I saw that movie about you. It was touching.
    Hi Mothy!!!!!!!!