Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you packing all your crap into?

Default What are you packing all your crap into?

Just wondering if anybody is going to or already has packed a box as checked baggage for the flight to Narita...Whenever my family travels to the Philippines, they always take two 50 or 70 lb (depends on the airline) boxes each (also known as balikbayan boxes to Filipinos). I don't remember it being too much of a hassle and I think it might be a good idea.

It would maximize how much you could bring- because a large bag adds its own weight and when you get to your destination, you just recycle the box. No need for storing. Plus, at the moment, I've only got one large suitcase and...with 5 days left, I'm hoping to not have to fit "buying a new suitcase" into the agenda...also don't want to spend more money.

What do you think?

Default Re: What are you packing all your crap into?

Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

I've fit everything into two suitcases (one is a rolling duffel that will compress and fit inside the other suitcase for storage), a carry-on suitcase, a backpack, and then two small boxes that will be mailed that have some extra shoes in them (i gots big feets by Japanese standards)

So for me, I don't really see a need to bring additional boxes... I'm sure I'll accumulate some sentimental stuff that I will have to ship/bring back in boxes, anyway.

Where do you live? if you're in the U.S. and need an inexpensive (less than $60) large suitcase, fast, I suggest swinging by a Ross.
    Last edited by gingerbread; July 21st, 2009 at 10:56.

oops. double post.

big ass rolling duffel bag and a suiter (for orientation). Still haven't packed anything yet though, so we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by calamityjane View Post
    Just wondering if anybody is going to or already has packed a box as checked baggage for the flight to Narita...Whenever my family travels to the Philippines, they always take two 50 or 70 lb (depends on the airline) boxes each (also known as balikbayan boxes to Filipinos). I don't remember it being too much of a hassle and I think it might be a good idea.

It would maximize how much you could bring- because a large bag adds its own weight and when you get to your destination, you just recycle the box. No need for storing. Plus, at the moment, I've only got one large suitcase and...with 5 days left, I'm hoping to not have to fit "buying a new suitcase" into the agenda...also don't want to spend more money.

What do you think?
    Many JETs did this when I left last year. It was far easier than suitcases for a lot of people. Just be prepared to rip it open for customs when you arrive. Bring an extra roll of tape in your carry-on if you do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    So for me, I don't really see a need to bring additional boxes... I'm sure I'll accumulate some sentimental stuff that I will have to ship/bring back in boxes, anyway.

Where do you live? if you're in the U.S. and need an inexpensive (less than $60) large suitcase, fast, I suggest swinging by a Ross.
    I saw nothing about "additional boxes." It was a box in lieu of a suitcase.

Also, what the hell is a Ross?

FiercestCalm

Ross is a cheapo store like TJ Maxx or Marshalls, that kind of thing.

I'm bringing my stuff in two big suitcases. The suitcases themselves are pretty heavy, but it's alright, my stuff isn't far over the weight limit and I'm cutting it back until it's under. I'm shipping a box of winter stuff later (or my parents are), just because I didn't want to deal with it.

I have this. I wanted spinners and the shell instead of fabric.

I didn't even think about shipping a box instead of "luggage." That actually seems like a good idea that I might try and take advantage of. The only problem that I can forsee is having to lug that damn thing around the airport and through customs until I can get it to the shipping agency. I'm sure its only going to be like 2 hours top. I actually might do the box too! Great suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrojosh View Post
    I didn't even think about shipping a box instead of "luggage." That actually seems like a good idea that I might try and take advantage of. The only problem that I can forsee is having to lug that damn thing around the airport and through customs until I can get it to the shipping agency. I'm sure its only going to be like 2 hours top. I actually might do the box too! Great suggestion
    They've got luggage carts everywhere, and if you somehow can't find one, I'm sure some of the old men who work there would be pleased to lug your box around.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

AND i think you can get boxes with like...cloth handles on them. not saying i'm gonna be carrying a 50 pound box but it'll make the box less unwieldy and easier to load onto a cart/pull off the carousel. if you're good with tape, you can make handles with tape.

yeah good idea about customs and bringing an extra roll of tape. are they very strict? will they absolutely want me to open my box? entering the Philippines and even the U.S. I can remember times when they just let me through box and all...

I have two 29" soft (not hard shell) suitcases filled to 50lbs exactly, a small (25" I think is it's size) suitcase for carry-on, as well as a laptop bag with a lot of storage. Everything I'll need for Orientation should be in the carry-ons, so that I can ship both of my two big ones right from the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    I've fit everything into two suitcases (one is a rolling duffel that will compress and fit inside the other suitcase for storage), a carry-on suitcase, a backpack, and then two small boxes that will be mailed that have some extra shoes in them (i gots big feets by Japanese standards)

Literally ditto with me, gingerbread

GREAT idea with the boxes!!
    Not as few days left for me (group B) but still stressed out as New Zealand has a 20kg limit and my luggage by itself is about 3kgs T__T

Quote Originally Posted by edesuyo View Post
    I have two 29" soft (not hard shell) suitcases filled to 50lbs exactly, a small (25" I think is it's size) suitcase for carry-on, as well as a laptop bag with a lot of storage. Everything I'll need for Orientation should be in the carry-ons, so that I can ship both of my two big ones right from the airport.
    That's what I did back in my day. It was all good until I got the ¥5700 bill for shipping my two pieces of luggage a month or so later. That was harsh ghey.

¥5700? That doesn't sound that bad. Actually, that sounds fairly cheap for shipping around 100 lbs of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    That's what I did back in my day. It was all good until I got the ¥5700 bill for shipping my two pieces of luggage a month or so later. That was harsh ghey.
    Not to be a dick or anything... but...

Everyone ships stuff from the Airport. Some people even ship both their bags. I did, and my bill was ¥4200, and taken out of my paycheck by my BOE, so I never noticed.

I wish I had thought more about the weight of my suitcase before I bought it. I am hating the 20kg limit right now. I am having a delemia about whether to pay lots of money to ship stuff I'll prob never use over or have more money to blow on useless stuff in japan

Quote Originally Posted by GoddessCarlie View Post
    I wish I had thought more about the weight of my suitcase before I bought it. I am hating the 20kg limit right now. I am having a delemia about whether to pay lots of money to ship stuff I'll prob never use over or have more money to blow on useless stuff in japan
    You'll regret bring stuff here and not wearing/using it. Trust me.

Unless you have a REALLY strange body type, you'll be fine.

(Oh, but don't buy too much....because sending it back home is going to suck!)

Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    You'll regret bring stuff here and not wearing/using it. Trust me.

Unless you have a REALLY strange body type, you'll be fine.

(Oh, but don't buy too much....because sending it back home is going to suck!)

I figured as much but trying to cut down what I'd like to take is hard! Plus it's fun to complain about it