Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Applying to JET program

Oh sure, totally agree that it depends on the level of the class as to how much Japanese is spoken.
    What I am saying though is that the Japanese should be left to the JTE. The purpose of us being in the classroom is to demonstrate English not Japanese!!!
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

on the other hand, I have been in situations where the suppsoed JLT's command of the English language is so weak it *is* better for me to translate myself or they are unwilling to do so (I've had teachers just stand up the back of the classroom and keep their mouth shut the whole lesson) but then again, the definition of 'team teaching' seems to be different in Elementary..
    It's offical... I HATE EARTHQUAKES!

I guess then depending on your Japanese level, the better your skills in Japanese the younger the children that you're going to teach?

Quote Originally Posted by ENAY
    I guess then depending on your Japanese level, the better your skills in Japanese the younger the children that you're going to teach?
    yeah, that was one of the reaons I got asked. (I've also teaching experience under my belt - I graduated with a teaching degree and did substitue teaching while waiting to get into JET)

Not sure where I will be placed then. My Japanese is pretty good but my teaching is non existent. I hear that you spend a few weeks in Japan getting trained before you even go anywhere near a school.

I'm hoping to get my application sent off tomorrow. It's crazy that you need to have about 4 copies of everything and waiting for references and transscripts is like growing a long beard. Can't believe it's taken me a month to get everything sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by ENAY
    Not sure where I will be placed then. My Japanese is pretty good but my teaching is non existent. I hear that you spend a few weeks in Japan getting trained before you even go anywhere near a school.
    mate none of us were sure where we would be placed it really is the luck of the draw. I was very lucky in that, I now work at a school with and English course and very genki students, I live in a city, which, while not being as large as tokyo or fukuoka (but close to the latter) has every thing i need. Also I live in Teacher accomadation and so live very close to some other ALT's. I've made some great friends both Japanese and Giajin and to be honest life is good.

Now this isn't true for all, but the experience is what you make it.

as for training, you have 3 days in tokyo and then go to your placement. usually you start right away, unless your school is kind and lets you have the summer off to settle in. then after group B arrives you have a prefectural orientation. there may also be summer schools you're supposed to take part in too.

really the job is great, non taxing and if you don't know Japanese you CAN get by. They assume that you are the person who can cope with this kind of situation when they employ you
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

I wouldn`t think to much about your placement, the whole thing is pretty random from what I know, if you are put on the waiting list then it is completely random, you fill a place as it becomes avaliable. The best way not to get in is to give the impression that you will run at the first sign of trouble or will not go if your placement doesn`t suit you. Key phrases in the interview are "I don`t really mind where I go, as long as I can go" and things to that effect things not to say are "I just want to bum around for a year or so" "Well if I`m not in ~~~~ then I don`t think I would want to go", I wouldn`t worry about teaching experience as nearly no one has it and sometimes it can be considered a bad thing, remember we are Assistant teachers, a qualified teacher might tear their hair out at the little amount of actual teaching we do, it is similar with Japanese language goes, I know in the UK they don`t want the JETS to be brilliant speakers, it kinda kills the point, we are here to speak English to the students and force them to speak English back, not attempt two words in English and then start talking in Japanese.

I send my application off today. WOOOOOOOOO!

Now I just have to sit and wait. Any ideas on how long they may take?
    Thanks everyone for your advice and support.

oops. I didn't realise I wasn't logged or that I could post as a guest. But that was me though

Grats, Enay! Me too! What a relief, eh!

(edit

Oh yeah... I think it was late January early February-ish when people started hearing whether they had an interview. I think.

YIKES! THAT long. Ah well. That gives me plenty of time to revise facts about the UK that I definitely don't know about

Yeah it is a bit of a wait. Sent mine Thursday special delivery and it got there on Friday. Hope they appreciate that it cost me a fiver .

Does seem like a long wait - worst thing is I think you don't get a rejection letter. So you just have to sit there until the end of Feb waiting for the letter. Harsh!

I got a rejection letter the first time I applied...

Quote Originally Posted by Purrdence
    I got a rejection letter the first time I applied...
    Oh, it says on the site that "Candidates who have not received an invitation to interview by late February may assume that their applications were unsuccessful."