Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 2010 hopefuls, introduce yourselves!

Hi everyone --

I've already been posting again, but what the hell, I'll re-introduce myself. I'm at my current job with little else to do right now.

I'm re-applying to JET this year. No interview last year and I'm suspecting a bad SoP and a lot of overconfidence is to blame. Humbled but still having issues writing an SoP that doesn't sound STUPID, I'm back in the game!

I studied abroad in Osaka when I was a junior at uni. Took Japanese for 2 1/2 years, but it has since tanked. So I'd like to go back to a) get better at japanese, b) get OUT of North Carolina, and c) of course be super genki and omg, just like, love <3 teaching english to Japanese children (but really, I DO think I would enjoy it - been an asst. teacher of sorts for kids before and liked it).

Currently, I work for a Japanese travel agency. I also recently passed the Dept. of State's assessment tests, but I just barely passed, they told me to go on living as if nothing has happened, and there's no guaruntee of a placement even if I make it through all the clearances. So JET re-application it is!

I'm requesting Shia-ken 'cause I know this totally rad friend of mine who lives there - the fiercest clam you'll ever see on these here boards! Then Nara-ken, 'cause I looooove it, and I think either Hiroshima-ken or Fukuoka-ken as my third... I keep changing that last one so I forget what's there now - Hiroshima for no real reason, and Fukuoka 'cause I know people there.

I'm also debating if I should apply through Atlanta or DC this year. Did Atlanta last year, but I have since moved and DC is like an hour closer than Atlanta now (still not that big of a difference). I have friends in DC that I could stay with, but my memories of DC are of having fun some time, but then getting lost for hours and having my rental car towed. Atlanta, on the other hand... well I've been to that embassy before and there's a parking deck so I won't freaking get towed again.

Anyway, re-hello to some people and greetings to 2010 first-timers. Good luck to all!
    Last edited by cielya; November 11th, 2009 at 00:59.
    shortlisted!

*deleted*
    Last edited by etoile filante; January 14th, 2010 at 07:53. Reason: Requested deletion

Last edited by cielya; January 14th, 2010 at 05:59.
    shortlisted!

Quote Originally Posted by cielya View Post
    I do, as a matter of fact! Weird - how do you know us?
    Also, I work super close to you (sorry if I sound like a creepy stalker)!
    Last edited by etoile filante; January 14th, 2010 at 07:54. Reason: Request to delete info.

Quote Originally Posted by etoile filante View Post
    I've gotten tickets through JTA a few times. Also, I work super close to you (sorry if I sound like a creepy stalker)!
    LOL. I work close to you, I mean really close. ::insert creepy breathing::

Well cool. If you happen to need any tickets, I happen to want to bring in some business. I'm still newish and clearly my workload is lacking - I'd like to busier!

Anyway - best of luck. Maybe we can have a super awesome party if we both get in.
    shortlisted!

Default Re: 2010 hopefuls, introduce yourselves!

haha hi!

I'm Will and I want to do JET because I think it will be an interesting once-in-a-lifetime kind of experience and I like teaching more than I like computer programming. My current job is exceptionally boring and makes me question the value of living the way I do. I've been interested in Japan for about as long as I can remember. I want to go back to school and be an English teacher.

Hi!
    I am graduating in December 2009 with a degree in social science education from the University of South Florida. i have no Japanese language experience, but tons of teaching experience (that's my strength hopefully). I'm applying to JET for the first time! Shout out to all Floridians interviewing in Miami (hopefully)!

はじめまして!

I'm pulling my app together last minute and really excited about the possibility of doing JET. Either way, I'll probably find an English teaching job in Japan this summer after graduating. I'm majoring in Japanese and Japan Studies, so it seems like the best option for me after graduating.

I recently got back from study abroad in Akita for a whopping 14 months. I mingled with the local ALTs a little bit. Any Akita JETs in here? Being in Akita I got my fair share of inaka, and though not the best situation at times, it was a really beautiful and peaceful place. And it'll prepare me for the possibility of being placed in a rural town so all the more experience I guess.

God do I want to gorge on takoyaki.

よろしくお願いします!

Also, I'm thinking of requesting Sapporo area since I have an affinity for the north and it's my hometown's sister city... for the sake of trying to get something that won't leave me somewhere too isolated like where I was before. Don't want to be immersed in urban life though, especially if it has too many English speakers... so some town where I can preferably train out to Sapporo in an hourish. Any suggestions from current JETs? (Guess I can figure it out on google maps myself, too.)

Second choice, I'm thinking something like Sendai-ish/Miyagi. For the sake of a happy medium placed between the insanity of Tokyo and the super inaka-ness of Touhoku. And well, Sendai is the only real metropolitan spot in that region, I guess.

But well, I'm not getting hopeful. I have heard it may or may not make a difference in where you're placed. Thoughts?

Yo I'm Eric and I am requesting Naruto in the Chiba Prefecture. It is known for it's strawberries and surfing... what else do you really need? Anyways for those that make it over check up on CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time it seems like a great way to meet up with other ALTs and locals to crash while traveling all over Japan.

I did this. It's pretty cool. Meet locals of the place you're visiting (and coughfreelodging)

I'm Miss Maudlin. I am a 2009 never-upgraded alternate (actually, I have 6 more days until I can say that). I'm an idiot applying again but not setting my heart on JET like last year - I have other options I'm looking into, thankfully.
    going for a second round!

Hey Mike here, I graduated in '08 with a bio degree now just working thru some biotech companies hoping to catch a break with JET and finally be able to see some parts of the world outside the US
    Last edited by Trueno; December 20th, 2009 at 09:01.