Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes, What are my chances of getting in?

Default Diabetes, What are my chances of getting in?

I have type 1 diabetes and I'm wondering if this will hurt my chances of getting in to the programme. I have the diabetes under control and have worked 7 years outside without a problem. Also, if anyone knows if the insurance will cover all or at least most of my medical costs. Any insight you guys can give on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

My understanding from reading the documents they give, is that as long as you have it under control and your doctor agrees, then there's no problem. If you get an interview they'll most likely ask you about it.
    As covering some of the costs, they might say since it's a pre-existing medical condition you yourself have to bare the costs, unless it's an emergency.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Default Re: Diabetes, What are my chances of getting in?

yeah, what absolute said. you wouldn't be covered for any routine medical expenses related to your diabetes [e.g. insulin], however you would be covered for any emergencies related to your diabetes [e.g. diabetic coma].

it will not affect your chances of getting in in the slightest - especially as you have a proven 7-year work record [assuming you haven't taken tons of diabetes-related time off?]

good luck!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by affable View Post
    I have type 1 diabetes and I'm wondering if this will hurt my chances of getting in to the programme. I have the diabetes under control and have worked 7 years outside without a problem. Also, if anyone knows if the insurance will cover all or at least most of my medical costs. Any insight you guys can give on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'm a Type II Diabetic. Last year when applying, I just had to get a note from the doctor indicating that my condition wouldn't be a hindrance if working overseas. When the application goes up, there should be a medical form there and you get a note from the doctor and a form for the doctor to fill out.

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

I have a pre-existing condition, but insurance covers my meds for it. You may get lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    They are like elongated octopi, but with only 6 testicles.

One thing though, make sure not to overstress it in your app. I wouldn't mentioned it in your SOP or anything (I'm only mentioning this because someone had a bitchfest over being rejected and claimed it was due to their medical condition last year).

Shouldn't be an issue though.
    I firmly believe that goofy and awkward are the signs of awesome.

Thank you to all the responses this has helped with some of the stressing. Hopefully I will get lucky and get all my medical supplies paid for. I'm on an insulin pump and the supplies can get exspensive if I had to pay for all of it out of pocket it may be tough but doable.

I know someone who just finished JET who had diabetes and he was probably the most well liked JET his city had in the past 15+ years. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spore13 View Post
    One thing though, make sure not to overstress it in your app. I wouldn't mentioned it in your SOP or anything (I'm only mentioning this because someone had a bitchfest over being rejected and claimed it was due to their medical condition last year).

Shouldn't be an issue though.
    Agreed. Especially in what comes down to a job interview, you probably want to refrain from identifying yourself so strongly with your specific medical condition. Kind of life the difference between "I am a diabetic" and "I am a person with diabetes." Your SOP is your time to shine, leave assurances of your health for the form your doctor will be filling out.

"Okay, dude, you got me. I'm from the future."

"I am the arm. I sound like this."

My friend got in and she has diabetes. I've known people with other more serious mental illnesses who have also gotten in.

Quote Originally Posted by keekers View Post
    My friend got in and she has diabetes. I've known people with other more serious mental illnesses who have also gotten in.
    I know my mother questioned this when she found out that I was going to apply last year. She was worried that I wouldn't get in because of my diabetes. I pointed out to her that people with mental illnesses do all the time, so she shouldn't worry.

I've known people with really fucked up medical conditions who shouldn't have gotten in, but did. I think all you need is that doctor's note.

I am curious about that, SSJup: do you know people with mental illnesses that have been accepted?

I have bipolar. Medicated, under control, but fairly recently diagnosed. Does a doctor's note clear this, or am I likely to get rejected because of the relatively short period of time I've been in care?

People with mental illnesses have been accepted, and some have been rejected (though since JET doesn't tell you why they do anything with the selection process, rejections may have had nothing to do with the mental issues). No one knows exactly what will make them reject, but I doubt there's a timeline that they refer to ("If applicant has been in treatment for less than 1 year, subtract 10 points; 1 year or more, subtract 5 points"). Apply. The worst that happens is they say no.

Keep in mind that if you do get shortlisted there will be a form for your doctor to fill out certifying (among other things) that you're mentally fit to go, so you may want to discuss it with your therapist or doc or whoever ahead of time and find out whether they think you would be OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    If you were DJing a party I would rock up with my bunches of purple grapes stuffed into my bra, spilling a beer over myself, and harass you to play "Boom Boom Dollar" by King Kong & D'Jungle Girls until you called the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takochu~* View Post
    I didn't take any offense to it, I'm a pretty understandable person.

I intend to apply, I just wondered if there was more than anecdotal evidence that mental disorders aren't rejection criteria so long as they're properly treated.

I'm going to have to talk to my doctor about all of this for several reasons -- getting prescriptions for long enough, needing the form for the application itself, etc. Doctors already think I'm doing just fine, just need to get them to sign. From past experience with doctors, you'd think signing these forms was telling them they'd be held personally responsible if I sneezed in the wrong direction.

If you want more than anecdotal evidence for anything about the JET selection process you're in for a lot of disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    If you were DJing a party I would rock up with my bunches of purple grapes stuffed into my bra, spilling a beer over myself, and harass you to play "Boom Boom Dollar" by King Kong & D'Jungle Girls until you called the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takochu~* View Post
    I didn't take any offense to it, I'm a pretty understandable person.

I don't think it's hard to go from "I heard someone with a mental health problem got in" to "I have bipolar and I'm here," is it?

Perhaps in a single forum, sure. But I doubt anyone feels like coming right out and saying it, so I thought I'd ask in case there is someone who could PM me or otherwise let me know.

I know better than to ask if someone put their paperclip on in the same direction as me and still got accepted, proof please. >_>

I don't think the above comment was intended in a mean way but it is nonetheless accurate.

The way selection happens is a very well kept secret somehow.

In terms of various disorders I think its important to remember that firstly most JET spots are in rural areas where it may be difficult to get treatment and where the local opinion of, particularly mental diseases, may not be at the same standard as where you come from.

Secondly that living in Japan is not all fun and games and regardless of what your GP says about you you know you better than your GP does and you should make an honest appraisal about whether or not it's a good idea.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Going along with what Dombay said, if you do apply and happen to get accepted, keep in mind that unless you can read Japanese, you will not know what is in most foods you are eating. So, counting sugars and everything (I have a good friend who has Type 1) I would imagine is very difficult over here. There`s no telling what they use to make stuff or how it affects your sugar levels (not to mention the stress of being in a new country and everything, which I heard also plays a big role in your levels). So, keep that in mind when applying.
    "Food! Food! Bring me everything ya got!"