Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diabetes, What are my chances of getting in?

Default Re: Diabetes, What are my chances of getting in?

Yep.

But having said which we could find out all the euphemisms for sugar that they use and post a kanji list or something. We never do those sorts of things anymore which is a shame.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I'm pretty sure you can get in with diabetes.

Then again, if I were looking at two resumes that were exactly the same but one listed diabetes, I'd go with the one that did not.

Thankfully for you, I'm not.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldroon View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can get in with diabetes.

Then again, if I were looking at two resumes that were exactly the same but one listed diabetes, I'd go with the one that did not.

Thankfully for you, I'm not.
    Since you said that, here's another scenario that just came to mind.

What if the two resumes are exactly the same, as you mentioned earlier, but one of the applicants is a Type I Diabetic and the other is a Type II Diabetic. Who would you choose and why?

Guess what everyone, there is no such thing as two resumes exactly the same.

You just have to be better than everyone else to get jobs.

Everyone's got something that's not perfect for whatever job about them. Focusing on it makes you reek of loser.

This is good news for non-losers.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

A freind of mine with type 1 got in last year and shes on a pump thingie and gets it all paid for here from what shes said. so as long as its under control dont think it would be a problem.
    Im against picketing, but I dont know how to show it-Mitch Hedberg

Also remember it's never like a real job where you are competing with others for a single position. They aren't ever going to be looking at you and another person saying "well, this guy has diabetes so we'll throw him out." They grade your app among thousands of others and as long as you have the required paperwork you'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard77 View Post
    A freind of mine with type 1 got in last year and shes on a pump thingie and gets it all paid for here from what shes said. so as long as its under control dont think it would be a problem.
    That helps alot Redbeard knowing that someone else has their stuff paid for them. I'm on the insulin pump so it's a bit of a relief to see that most of my medical costs will be taken care of.

My good friend had diabetes 1 and was on the programme for three years with no real problems. The insurance covered it. The PA helped her to consult with a diabetologist in the first month. Her school flapped a bit at first but eventually forgot about it. Her principal wouldn't let her drive to school the first year, but changed his mind when she recontracted (and after numerous public transport failures). She used to make a lot of food from scratch, biking everywhere and lots of fish and vegetables which were easy to find, her HbA1C was fantastic for three years. Back to Canada and it went wrong!

I have slight cerebral palsy and had jumpy questions at my interview and from my school, but everything was fine. We both ended up with city placements, which were hard to get, and certainly not my first choice (I thought rural Hokkaido would have been great) but the PA told us they prefer to place JETs with chronic conditions in larger cities to have more flexibility with treatment options. That's anecdotal rather than fact, but there was another diabetic and another person with CP amongst the ALTS/CIRs, which statistically seems a bit high in 70 people.