Thread: Applicants From The UK...

Default Applicants From The UK...

Hi,

Just a quick bit of advice to anyone applying from the UK that is worried about their level of Japanese. There are great courses in London at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS Uni.)

There are many different levels, the higher ones work you towards the JLPT. I studied the basic level at SOAS before I came (like 2 years before I applied to JET) and I found it very useful.

The initial emphasis is on learning the kana, an invaluable thing to know once you finally arrive. The course uses the Minna No Nihongo textbooks which are REALLY good. For those of you who don't know, they're written in kana so the characters are drilled into your brain as you're using them constantly.

The tutors are all Japanese guys and gals living in London usually doing PHDs or Masters courses at the university. So they're an invaluable source of information.

Sorry I haven't posted this sooner, as semester 1 has already started (October) though after Christmas break the course starts again in January.

Give it a whirl, that's if you can get to London once a week! And it'll look great on your application form / sound great in your interview too.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to scare you. It is easy to survive upon arrival (in most places) with little or no Japanese language knowledge. However the more Japanese you know the more comfortable you will feel. Therefore I highly recommend checking out these courses.

Good luck with your applications and have fun studying!
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

And if you live out of reach of London then check out your local university, they often have courses too. My uni used the "Japanese for busy people" text book - which is ok (I haven't seen the Minna na Nihongo books).