View Poll Results: Do you brush your teeth at school?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah! Like everyday!

5 20.83%
  • Umm.. No. I like having fish bones stuck between my teeth

19 79.17%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brushing your teeth at school

Quote Originally Posted by liroku View Post
    At both my schools, every student and teacher brushes after lunch, so, when in Rome...

I figure they want me to set the same example as all the other teachers, and hell, it makes my mouth feel nice and clean, anyway. Judging from the condition of the teeth around here, though, I don't know that it's doing any good. Having tried Japanese toothpaste once, I can't say I'm surprised--it felt like brushing my teeth with cake icing. I'm glad I brought a decent supply from the 'States...
    ?

The stuff I buy in Japan is exactly the same as the American stuff, including fluoride.

The problem you'll notice is.... a lot of the kids are just brushing their teeth with water. No paste. That's why they still have screwy teeth.

Default Re: Brushing your teeth at school

And "cool moms" don't make their little kids brush their teeth because "they're just gonna fall out anyway," but unfortunately this can still cause damage below the gum AND doesn't enforce good brushing habits.
    HAPPY HAPPY FUN CUTE HAPPY

HEARTS AND STARS

I think I'm a lesbian now.
    But not really.

FiercestCalm

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    Just for that I'm going to pass the next time you offer to make out with me. Your breath has got to be kickin like Bruce Lee.
    Maaaaaan, and we were THIS CLOSE to making out.

But yeah, twice a day and gum is enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    ?

The stuff I buy in Japan is exactly the same as the American stuff, including fluoride.

The problem you'll notice is.... a lot of the kids are just brushing their teeth with water. No paste. That's why they still have screwy teeth.
    Ah, that could be it. On one of the Japanese "educational" kids shows there was a segment with a four year old brushing his teeth and not using paste.

I know you can get Aquafresh here, but I tried some other shit that was just this weird, weak gel that didn't even foam up while I was brushing. When I was done it kind of felt like I had just eaten a peppermint candy instead of brushing my teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

I brush my teeth AT LEAST four times a day. It's the first thing I do when I get up and after every meal (unless I'm out and absolutely CAN'T) and right before I go to bed regardless of if I brushed them since I ate or not.

HEARTS AND STARS

But not really.

The latest iteration of a toothpaste-free toothbrush that's already convinced millions — yes, millions — of Japanese to take the plunge, the Soladey 3 is an oral cleansing tool with a very unique ionic twist. Unlike traditional toothbrushes, the unit is equipped with a solar panel that absorbs light and purportedly transmits electrons via a titanium oxide semiconductor to make plaque unstable and easily removable. Word on the street is that the Soladey concept actually works. Can millions of Japanese toothbrushers be wrong? Can you imagine a life without toothpaste?
    When reached for comment, the article's author responded, "No, I haven't been to Japan. Why do you ask?"
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Ah, that could be it. On one of the Japanese "educational" kids shows there was a segment with a four year old brushing his teeth and not using paste.
    Kinda like how they wash their hands with cold water and no soap...

I went to the dentist for the first time in 5 years right before I came to Japan, and I was fine. Like ten_of, I do not join in on this lunchtime ritual.
    "Food! Food! Bring me everything ya got!"

i succumbed and have bought a new toothbrush AND toothpaste to take to school tomorrow morning.
    i guess it would be good to be a role model for the kids and all... plus i'll probably knock myself out with fish breath if i had to eat fish for kyuushoku

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I always chewed gum after lunch when I was teaching, but I didn't brush because tooth enamel softens for up to 30 minutes after eating so if you brush during that time you can damage your enamel.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

After lunch I just have a little piece of gum (and I mean a little piece: a whoel piece of gum is too much for me; it hurts my jaw, so I just have about a 1/3 of a piece at a time. Consequently, a pack of gum lasts me a long time)
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    After lunch I just have a little piece of gum (and I mean a little piece: a whoel piece of gum is too much for me; it hurts my jaw, so I just have about a 1/3 of a piece at a time. Consequently, a pack of gum lasts me a long time)
    Do you have a disorder that impairs the range of motion your jaw is capable of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Do you have a disorder that impairs the range of motion your jaw is capable of?
    No, I just started chwein 1/3 of a piece and go so used to it that a full piece just feels awkward and too big now.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>

I have TMJ. Do you have TMJ?

HEARTS AND STARS

But not really.

Quote Originally Posted by kawyn View Post
    i succumbed and have bought a new toothbrush AND toothpaste to take to school tomorrow morning.
    i guess it would be good to be a role model for the kids and all... plus i'll probably knock myself out with fish breath if i had to eat fish for kyuushoku
    Ha, I did this last night without having seen this topic, the staff room peer pressure got to me! Although I think it's gross how they do it in the handwash sink in the s/r.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuffie View Post
    I have TMJ. Do you have TMJ?
    What's TMJ?

I always brushed my teeth after lunch, otherwise it would be fish breath and my school was f#$ing obsessed with including f$%king wakame in every lunch so I would probably have green stuff stuck in my teeth as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    Apparently the board of education doesnt realize I am in the fight of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    three HIV tests later spread out over 1+ year and i can now say i dont regret it

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    What's TMJ?

Temporomandibular joint disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

surprisingly, I'm not being snarky. I wanted to know too
    I firmly believe that goofy and awkward are the signs of awesome.

FiercestCalm

It's a jaw thing. Makes your jaw hurt. I dunno, look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by FiercestCalm View Post
    It's a jaw thing. Makes your jaw hurt. I dunno, look it up.
    よく説明してくれて、ありがとっ!

A few teachers at my old school did. I would just watch them and sigh because I knew they were using crappy Japanese toothpaste. I usually just chew a piece of sugarfree gum at my desk after I'm done eating. I just don't feel like keeping a toothbrush and toothpaste in my desk.
    I did this, and then my supervisor was like "Oi what are you doing, we can't have teachers chewing gum."

So I stopped.