Thread: Living and Working in Central/South America

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Living and Working in Central/South America

A friend of mine has been an ALT (private) for the last two years and in October her contract will be up. She liked Japan but is done. Just had enough. However she is nor ready to go home just yet. She likes teaching and wouldnt mind doing that for a while longer, but was thinking South America (or Central if there are any good programs)
    I told her I would ask around and see if anyone had any tips, tricks, ideas or whatever for finding and getting jobs in that area of the world.

so do ya?
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Living and Working in Central/South America

My sister is in Chile teaching. But I don't know the name of the program, I:ll ask her. It is run by the Chilean government, though.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

cool thanks!

I'd be extremely interested in more info on this subject as well. Argentina sounds awesome. Chile wouldn't be too bad either.

here is some info i have got from a few other people i have asked about it that have experience living and studying and working in the general area...

i ve lived and worked in peru (found job in lima from the yellow pages, and in the village i lived in by just being there and people coming up to me in the street and asking me to teach them/translate things, i was even asked to teach english at the village school!)
    chile, (yellow pages, taught english to business people)
    brazil (private tuiition, placed an ad)
    argentina (placed an ad, private again)

all this was over 3 and a half years, from my experience, work in latin america is plentiful and varied, and wages to cost of living balances very well. private tuiition is the way to go if u want the easy life, you can work few hours on those wages to support yourself.
    as far as celta/tefl goes, i think you ABSOLUTELY do not need it. i have never been asked for it out there. if your going to a village, the people there wont have heard of those qualifications anyway, and if youre in a city there are so many jobs out there, that i always got the impression that the companies are willing to give any one a shot.

so, loads of work, just turn up, and the yellow pages is your friend. im back off out there, headed back to argentina next week. good luck!
    i lived in costa rica for about six months last year, so i can throw down a little info for ya. i was studying in the university in san jose, so i didnt teach there, but i had a few friends that did. from what i understand there are ample opportunities to teach in costa rica, not just in san jose, but all over the country. i would recommend that if someone were to try to find a job there that they attempt to find one outside of the capital. from my experience, living in san jose can be pretty rough. i had a few shady encounters that i would rather not have experienced. plus, san jose is pretty dirty and smelly and has poor little street dogs running around everywhere. its pretty sad for any animal lovers.
    that said, the rest of costa rica is absolutely gorgeous. i spent most of my time traveling around the country instead of studying, so i have a lot of places i could recommend. friendly people and delicious food. as long as you like rice and beans for every meal!
    still looking for any specifics people have though.

Good info there Mark. Specifics would be nice!

It kinda sounds like the pay won't be enough to cover paying student loans off and still living comfortably.....

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

I do not yet know the name of the program my sister is on, but it does not pay enough to actually save money.

And she lives next to a ghost town.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Well, count me out!

my friend taught in Argentina for 6 months I'll ask him more details and get back to you, if you'd like. I remember him saying it was kind of shady though and he was often working in trade like english for spanish lessons.

hey OP, as a follow up, what'd you find? I'm also interested in South America, and could seriously use the info. Thanks!

haha, she is working in HongKong now.