Page 1 of 61 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Brits [and Irish] '09

Default Calling All Brits (and Irish) '09

All Britishers and Irish please gather here to obsess, panic and support each other during the exhausting 2009 JET application!

Here are some dates to set in your mind from last year. Please bear in mind that the application process is an unpredictable beast and these dates are subject to change. However, if you search back through past years you will find its usually pretty close i.e. within days of each other each year. So without further ado here are LAST YEAR'S DATES:

*Application opened - 3rd October 2008
    *First reported interview letter received - 27th December (they continued to be received for several weeks after this though so don't panic)
    *Interviews ran from 12th to approx. 30th January
    *Shortlist/alternate/rejection notification letters postmarked 4th April
    *Placement information letters received from 28th May

It's a long process and although it's said every year I can't stress enough how important it is for your sanity to try and get away from here and doing something else during those extensive waiting periods. I didn't do this and it was hard-going.

But anyway enough of that! Good luck in your applications! Hope to see lots of you here next year! Please feel free to message me etc if you have any Brit specific questions you want to ask. I can't guarantee to be able to answer everything but I will certainly at least point you in the direction of people who can.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Default Re: Calling All Brits (and Irish) '09

Hey Rachel, good idea!

British and Irish applicants - if you're in or near Suffolk and want to meet up to chat about JET, applications, SoPs, interviews, learning some basic Japanese, whatever, send me a PM. Would love to hang out with people who are keen to go to Japan - I miss it every day.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Good luck!
    Action, must be taken. We don't need the key, we'll break in.

Thanks Rachel for starting the thread! Some helpful dates there, this way we know what to expect when(ish) and can obsses/panic/support eachother in a sort of organised fashion ha!

Wicket are you travelling/working here in the UK then? Your flag is Australian no?

Thanks for the good luck, hopefully many of us will be joining you guys in Japan come 2010
    Last edited by Fruity; September 7th, 2009 at 21:10. Reason: missing word

Yay for Rachel! She kept us on track and sane last year (or about as sane as is possible when you're applying to JET lol).

I blame my excessive viewing and post during last year's application process on the distraction it offered from my dissertation more than anything else.

I was a late comer to the ITIL forums. I think it was maybe a week before interview result letters were sent out and I've still not decided if these forums are a blessing or a curse because it really sucks watching people say they've been shortlisted or upgraded lol. On the plus side I feel alot calmer this year as I know how the application process works.

With regards to the interview notification dates, I interviewed on Friday the 30th of January and only got my notification of the interview the week before, or possible even at the beginning of that week.
    Last edited by Alibo; September 8th, 2009 at 00:25.
    JET in waiting

Actually, it was the Wednesday cos I read the e-mail while pulling an all nighter for the presentation I did the day before my interview.
    JET in waiting

fruity - i was on JET from 94-96 and again from 2006-2008 and then teaching high school english and history in suffolk from 2008-2009, but i'm now on maternity leave with an 8-week old daughter.

BRITISHERS PLEASE SEND ME YOUR SOPs [if you want to, if you think it'll help] - i'm making an exception on not taking SoPs this year as there's a vague chance i might one day get to meet some of you!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Hope your luck is better this year Albio - I'll be keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for us all!

Wicket, that's pretty awesome you got to do JET twice! Where were you placed both times if you don't mind me asking? Congrats on your daughter by the way

This will be my first time applying but from reading a bit of the previous years threads, I feel a bit better knowing what to expect, to a degree...

Quote Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
    Hope your luck is better this year Albio - I'll be keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for us all!

Wicket, that's pretty awesome you got to do JET twice! Where were you placed both times if you don't mind me asking? Congrats on your daughter by the way

This will be my first time applying but from reading a bit of the previous years threads, I feel a bit better knowing what to expect, to a degree...
    Aww Fruity thanks, you're a sweetie. Probably why you're called Fruity lol. Fingers crossed we both get through this year! Also, ditto to Wicket on her daughter

I think Wicket and Rachel show that there's a HUGE library of information and knowledge on ITIL and the vast majority of people on these forums are as nice as them too.

Now if only it didn't take so bloody long for applications to open... *slaps self* no! I'm not getting into this frame of thinking again!
    JET in waiting

Hi all! Thanks for starting this thread and for sharing those dates Rachel. Out of interest, do you know the date for when applications closed last year?

I'm already getting a little bit apprehensive about my application, I haven't really started any of it yet. I've finally got some free time so I'm going to start writing my SOP this week, and I'm back at uni before the end of September so that's when I'll request transcripts and references.
    Is it true that references can take up to 3 months to get? My uni isn't that busy though so I'm hoping that won't be the case with my tutors.
    I'm sure I'll relax about this once I start getting the wheels in motion!

And thank you for the good luck This'll be my first time applying so I'm hoping everything goes well.

As far as I'm aware applications always close on the last Friday of November. But the earlier you get it in the sooner you can start trying to relax.

Getting started on things now is a good idea especially with references as sometimes people can be very unpredictable. I shouldnt think they would take 3 months to do but be prepared to have to wait a bit for them to finish. One of my lecturers had my reference done within a week around this time. The other one took, for various reasons, until the week the applications were due to get his to me. It was a nail-biting time!
    it definitely feels good to finally be getting started with it all, i remember the feeling well. Can't believe it was a whole year ago.

Good luck with your application!

listen to rachel - she's right!!

fruity - i was placed in rural toyama and urban osaka. 1st time i requested rural ishikawa and got the next door prefecture.2nd time got exactly what i requested - just got lucky!

Hey all! I'm at work so I'll be quick. Thanks so much for starting this thread!!

I'm applying to JET for the first time this year. Got everything ready (just waiting for the application to open and the references to be posted to me)! I'm about 3/4 way done with my SoP. Oh! A little about me: I'm 22, graduated last July in Japanese (Language) and English Literature.

Four of my friends in my Japanese class applied last year: one is a member here: Lindsey - now she's in Nagasaki.

Good luck to all. And I would 2nd getting on top of the app now because it's stressful even without the deadline looming!
    Last edited by MuiMui; September 26th, 2009 at 00:37.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Gesh, Rachel, you are way too organised.

So I've finally taken the step to ask to use the computers in the staffroom so I am happy to give up some of my reading time to help people out. I applied as a CIR so I can help with that interview if you would like.

Also, to the girl above, is the Lindsey you're talking about the one who graduated from Newcastle?
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Gesh, Rachel, you are way too organised.

So I've finally taken the step to ask to use the computers in the staffroom so I am happy to give up some of my reading time to help people out. I applied as a CIR so I can help with that interview if you would like.

Also, to the girl above, is the Lindsey you're talking about the one who graduated from Newcastle?
    Hey... Yup...
    Last edited by MuiMui; September 26th, 2009 at 00:37.

I was reading a bit if the year before's "Calling All Brits" thread - looked like there were postal strikes during the deadline, and surprise surprise, theres's strikes going on now (with more planned!!) I hope Royal Mail will have things sorted out by the time the application is out, as they have a lot of backlog to sift through! Might have to post now so it gets to the JET desk on time...

Here's an article if anyone wants to read about it... Union to go ahead with national postal strike ballot | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Thanks for starting the thread The dates will be HUGELY useful for this year's applicants.

I got onto the Alternate list last time, and haven't heard anything since, so I'm going to apply again! And this time I'm already getting my documents together, not waiting until November 19th or whatever it was.

Don't worry about the postal strikes; get your application in well on time (it will save you worrying about no reply "because you handed it in just before the deadline" later, for one thing) and also, Ms Nemoto is generally very nice about things like this. I believe she phoned some people who lived in the areas worst affected by the strikes to ask if they'd sent their applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    ...Ms Nemoto is generally very nice about things like this. I believe she phoned some people who lived in the areas worst affected by the strikes to ask if they'd sent their applications.
    I'm a bit confused about this bit as to who Ms Nemoto is...and how she would know to phone us (i.e. if she doesn't have our details from the application)?

Quote Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
    I'm a bit confused about this bit as to who Ms Nemoto is...and how she would know to phone us (i.e. if she doesn't have our details from the application)?
    You'll know her soon enough.

She phoned people during the final stages; when we were sending the last few bits into the embassy. Of course, she doesn't know your details right now so just make sure you send it with recorded delivery in plenty of time.