Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Brits [and Irish] '09

Thanks Alibo, some helpful info there - the medical section does look pretty intense, which is why I'm hoping to get most of the other requirements near-complete sooner rather than later i.e. SoP, References etc. The deadline seems far away now, but I'm sure it'll be here before we know it. This whole year has gone ridiculously fast actually - at least the wait won't be as agonizing if that keeps up

Default Re: Calling All Brits (and Irish) '09

If you haven't got any conditions in your medical history that you need to divulge (ie, depression etc) then the medical form isn't as bad as it sounds, so don;t let it worry you.

The biggest problems tend to come from timing (when I did it two years ago I was an upgraded alternate, and only had two weeks to get the completed form to them, which required a long trip to where my mother lives because I was still registered there) and cost. It's up to the individual doctors surgeries how much they charge for the form, mine was £25, other people my year were charged up to £150.

Quite a few people were told they had to make a special, longer, appointment to get the form filled in, knowing that I decided not to ask and turned up with the paper to a regular appointment. The tests on the form are basic and don't take long, the doctor was able to complete them with no problems. You're only required to ge tthe X-ray if the doc listens to your chest and thinks you need it, mostly that's not necessary (this is only for the UK though, during my intake year it seems in some countries it was compulsory and in others not).
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

i have a cunning plan.]
    what you do is, you get yourself knocked up and then capitalise on the free medical treatment during your application process.
    'course, then you have to take a baby to japan... hmm...
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

The medical section isn't a big deal if all your notes are up-to-date and in one place. If you do have a long standing condition (even Asthma) you might want to talk to your doctor soonish to get them on side - I wish I had done that. I have slight cerebral palsy, and they requested clarification on a couple of things at two separate times, and my GP charged me for the letters. They also insisted that I had to have a chest x ray due to my 'muscle weakness' and my doctor disagreed, so I had to pay to get radiography done privately. If I had been an alternate, I doubt I would have been able to go given the shortened time-frame. What they want to see is that any chronic illness/condition is well controlled.
    Last edited by turbotgenki; September 21st, 2009 at 01:42.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

All this medical stuff is waaaaay into the future, but my advice is to go to your family GP, not to the one that you go to at Uni. When I went for my exchange year, I had to have a JET-like medical (a 'JET medical' is an official term, it seems!!) and I went back home and he did it for free. For JET, I wasn't able to get all the way home so I did it at uni and it was 100 pounds for the initial check up and then an extra 75 because my doctor wanted me to have a chest x-ray.

But don't worry about all this now. Go get your SoP done!! and print everything off 4 times!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Anyone else feeling freakishly organised? Just checked my "JET To Do" list and all I have left is one reference, my medical stuff and photocopies of my passport, plus the actual application form.

Only annoying thing with the application is I just booked a cheap deal to Spain for 3rd of October, so I think it's pretty much guarenteed the applications will open that week lol. Atleast we get til the end of November to fill them in.
    JET in waiting

Just a bit on the Medical Report because I got freaked out by the last couple of posts!

Um, I'm a British citizen (by blood) but I haven't lived in England all my life. And I was worried about getting medical records from home. which would just be a hassle and I'm pretty sure close to impossible given the deadline. Sooooo, I decided to call up the JET Desk and ask them what's what.

The woman (who was really helpful!) told me that the rules have changed slightly this year and they need your medical history for the past five years.

Of course, always check for yourself, guys, they seem lovely and willing to help readily! Don't hestitate to call them if you're worried yourself!

Anyways, that's that off my shoulders! Now back to finishing my SoP !
    Last edited by MuiMui; October 6th, 2009 at 22:30.

As far as I'm aware (it might be different this year) you DON'T have to do your medical yet. It's next year, when you are accepted, that you have to do all that stuff. Don't waste your money just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    As far as I'm aware (it might be different this year) you DON'T have to do your medical yet. It's next year, when you are accepted, that you have to do all that stuff. Don't waste your money just yet.
    I was thinking about the Self-Assessed Medical Report. It's not the medical; just the part of the app where we have to show that we are medically suitable for JET. As the website states: "It is important to make sure you are fully aware of your past medical history and disclose any medical conditions you have or have had in the past."

I had been confused about how far back they wanted me to look into hence the ringing them up thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Alibo View Post
    Anyone else feeling freakishly organised? Just checked my "JET To Do" list and all I have left is one reference, my medical stuff and photocopies of my passport, plus the actual application form.

Only annoying thing with the application is I just booked a cheap deal to Spain for 3rd of October, so I think it's pretty much guarenteed the applications will open that week lol. Atleast we get til the end of November to fill them in.
    Maybe not freakishly but fairly I guess! I've spoken to my referees, although I want to finish my SoP (slowly but surely coming along...) before they start writing one as I think it might help if they read my personal statement too. I've also got my academic transcripts ready.

That's great you're going on holiday! It's always nice to have some time off - plus at least this way you'll have an extra "international experience" to list on your application form have fun!

Banned

I'm not feeling freakishly organised - I still need to decide who to ask for my second referee! However I dropped off my little pack of information to my first referee, who was very nice and insists he will write an excellent reference. Strangely enough, he applied 10 years ago!

Photocopying shouldn't take too long, in middle of drafting new statement, application isn't up yet... I don't feel too worried. I just want to spend time making sure this application is shiny and sparkly. However, saying that, I do want to get it in nice and early this year!

Super organised in opposed to freakishly lol. All I have left on my list is my Transcript - which ive ordered and have to collect on friday and one reference which i also hope to have by the end of the week.

Med stuff should be ok as i have a really good relationship with my Doc (she got all excited when i told her I was applying for JET) but a quick question, as i am answering "No" to question 3 and 4 then all the way through to 10 of the medical report, do i still need to have info for the application pack, im assuming no, and if im lucky enough to get accepted il need to get one sorted then.... is this right or waaay off??

Either way all i need now is the application form!
    Last edited by Shankerbelle; September 23rd, 2009 at 20:59.

''1Letter from the applicant's Doctor and 1 Medical Note from the applicant (UNLESS they have answered 'No' to questions 3 AND 4 of the Self-Assessment Medical Report)''

This tells me that, if you do not have any medical conditions whatsoever, then you do not need to get any forms from a GP.

Am I right in thinking this or not? As I do not have any conditions and will be answering 'no' in both questions 3 and 4.

Double check to GP letter thing. I'm sure last year that because I'd had X number of prescriptions in something like the last 3 months I had to get a doctors letter confirming my health. But if you're prefectly healthy and not working yourself into the ground to pay off student debts (as I was at the time) I'm pretty sure you won't need any letters. I think it's my 8 years in customer services that have taught me to always give worst case scenarios lol.

My Japanese class started tonight and with the new term came a pile of new people and only one of them is applying for JET. It's his first time aplying but I've sent him to these forums cos they answer so many questions. It's the first time I've physically met another JET applicant though and it was kind of a relief to have someone else to talk to about it. I don't know if I'll be saying that though if he gets through and I don't, cos it was bad enough seeing people I've never met get through and upgraded this year.

Also, I guess "freakishly" was an odd word to use, but as I'm a "make a huge to do list and appear supper organised then panic to finish it at the last minute" person it's appropriate for me lol.

Right, time to get this SOP finished so all I have to do when I get back from Spain is my medical section and the 30 - something page application form.
    JET in waiting

Quote Originally Posted by 08004223 View Post
    ''1Letter from the applicant's Doctor and 1 Medical Note from the applicant (UNLESS they have answered 'No' to questions 3 AND 4 of the Self-Assessment Medical Report)''

This tells me that, if you do not have any medical conditions whatsoever, then you do not need to get any forms from a GP.

Am I right in thinking this or not? As I do not have any conditions and will be answering 'no' in both questions 3 and 4.
    Correct. Which is what I was saying.

I made the same mistake last year and phoend them up to confirm it. Unless you have some problem, just answer no to everything and worry about the medical later.

In the past 5 years I've had asthma and allergies that I've needed to get prescriptions for.

They are no longer a problem and I lived in Japan without any of it bothering me, so I guess I just freaked out a bit! It was nice to talk to them though and confirm that I won't have to do any scrambling for stuff from 3000 miles away.

On the form I'll just answer 'no' and make sure to highlight that I'm fine now, anyway!

Hi guys!
    I just found this forum today. I'm 20 years old at the moment, and I'm graduating in July.
    I'm a BA Philosophy undergraduate, and I've already done a draft of my personal statement, and one of my references is complete (I'm just waiting for it), and I'm quite nervous about applying for JET.
    I found out about JET from my Japanese teacher last year, and I've wanted to apply ever since.
    I've looked through this thread, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one worrying about the application!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Correct. Which is what I was saying.

I made the same mistake last year and phoend them up to confirm it. Unless you have some problem, just answer no to everything and worry about the medical later.
    As you've probably worked out I'm confuzzled by the medical section. Some bits are really clear and I'm cool with, but my problem is that there's a condition I get monitored for on a yearly basis and another condition I've recently been diagnosed and am receiving treatment for. (There's also something I've had all my life and realised 30 seconds before I clicked apply last year that I hadn't declared.) Neither are serious and neither have any sort of impact on my life, their more irritations (to me atleast). I suppose the best thing to do is just declare them now, right?

Actually since I managed to get through to interview last year I should really just do exaclty the same again. Now if only I could remember what that was...
    JET in waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Alibo View Post
    As you've probably worked out I'm confuzzled by the medical section. Some bits are really clear and I'm cool with, but my problem is that there's a condition I get monitored for on a yearly basis and another condition I've recently been diagnosed and am receiving treatment for. (There's also something I've had all my life and realised 30 seconds before I clicked apply last year that I hadn't declared.) Neither are serious and neither have any sort of impact on my life, their more irritations (to me atleast). I suppose the best thing to do is just declare them now, right?

Actually since I managed to get through to interview last year I should really just do exaclty the same again. Now if only I could remember what that was...
    Hmm... well I suppose it's best to declare things that are long term, but, as far as I know, it's mainly mental illness that JET is looking for. If you have had any history of it, including taking prozac or something, then you'll be out on your ear.

But I think you should do as you did last year. I know Melty is around and I prob shouldn't give bad advice, but unless it's something that you think will effect you working in Japan, I wouldn't mention it at all. It will only harm your chances of getting in.

I'm back for more pain... last year I applied, gained an interview but was rejected.

Not 100% sure just yet whether I am going to apply again this year. My holiday to Japan in less than 48 hours should sort out my resolve on this one.