Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving = contractually verboten?

Default Driving = contractually verboten?

I am a one shot ALT with a BOE and I am planning on driving to my schools this week. My predecessor did so, and so did her pred. Today when I was planning out my school visits for the week they asked how I was getting to the different schools and I told them by car. They quickly corrected me by telling me no, actually I would be taking the bus (WTF did they ask me for then, I don`t know.) I was informed that it is in my contract that driving to schools is forbidden. Before I spend my evening peering through my contract (with a couple brews) can anybody confirm if this is in our contract? For the record, my contract is the standard JET issued contract and it was printed directly from the pdf or whatever the BOE receives from CLAIR (they didn`t even put my name in it or anything).

Also, considering that one of the people in my office (albeit not my supervisor, simply some other dude) has explicitly told me that driving is not allowed, what are the implications of me going ahead and doing it anyways? If it`s not in my contract, can they do anything other than make my life miserable?
    Last edited by Bingo; September 7th, 2009 at 16:44. Reason: privacy

Default Re: Driving = contractually verboten?

Your contract and the CLAIR English translation are worlds apart. If they don't want you driving during working hours and parking on school property there is very little you can do.

My schools that I travel to actually would prefer it (and encourage me) to drive. It is my office (the BOE) that is having the big problem. So, if I go ahead and drive to my schools anyways, what are the penalties? Can I get canned for it?

not really, especially if you park outside school and stay there until your contracted hours are over. If you travel to multiple schools in one day and tommy tanaka drives into you while you are on boe time there could be trouble.

Cool. I know that a shit storm comes unto those who have accidents during working hours from stories of previous ALTs, but what is the difference from a Japanese teacher or a Japanese office worker driving to or from the office or the school during working hours than if I do it? Simply because I am gaijin? Sorry pal. Not working on this one.

Thanks lni for helping me think this through.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

are other boe employees allowed to drive from one school to another [assuming they do school visits?]
    coz if they are, i'm with you - why shouldn't you be allowed to?

no-one was allowed to drive to my osaka school. not even the principal!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Driving is one of those things that varies from contract to contract. Mine says nothing about it.

If they want you to take public transportation for anything during the work day, what skin is it off your back? I would expect they would reimburse you for any on-the-job travel.

My BoE is cool with me driving and even chips in for gas money each month.

BoEs can restrict your driving during contracted hours though if they feel like it (although I don't know if they can only do it if it's written in the contract). If you wrap your car around Inaka Kumi's farmer truck during work hours, your BoE, as your employer, has takes some sort of responsibility for it (it's some stupid cultural thing they have). So not only will they be expected to pay the guy you run over, but your supervisor will have to resign. Note: you'll also have to pay and will probably get canned.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    I was informed that it is in my contract that driving to schools is forbidden.
    There's your problem right there. How about you read something through before signing your life away on it?

That being said, what is wrong with taking the bus. I'd rather save the gas money and mileage, have an excuse to be late for work, and be able to sleep on my morning commute.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post

That being said, what is wrong with taking the bus. I'd rather save the gas money and mileage, have an excuse to be late for work, and be able to sleep on my morning commute.
    oh you would not

Bingo, I would just drive til you get caught and then toothsuck and apologize

I would not what?

Yeah, I wouldn`t push it. If it`s in your contract, then you`re SOL. That is, unless you make a big stink about how you bought a car and how inconvienent the bus times are. Maybe intentionally be late to a few of your schools "because of the bus." None of which would contribute to a harmonious relationship between you and your BOE.
    "Food! Food! Bring me everything ya got!"

Ahhh, fuck it. I'm driving. As somebody else said here on the forum, I would rather ask for forgiveness than permission. Since permission was denied, there only leaves forgiveness. Am I right? (I learned this logic living here in Japan.)

What level of insurance coverage do you have?
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

fyrey used to drive without permission. He just parked a little way outside school and walked in the front doors like he was cock of the walk

sounds like a pain in the ass but if you get caught then i doubt you will be re-contracted plus all the extra crap you will have to deal with...

Doesn't do O-ramas

But then one must beg to ask themselves--do I even want to be recontracted somewhere where I am treated like a child?

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    But then one must beg to ask themselves--do I even want to be recontracted somewhere where I am treated like a child?
    well for sure - but i thought JETs only got one shot at it

I hope they're at least giving you money to cover the bus fee. Otherwise, just don't go to school at all. They're responsible for paying any and all transportation fees. Unless they fucked you over on your contract in that regard too. But, I think that's something Clair and the Japanese gov't won't allow.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    are other boe employees allowed to drive from one school to another [assuming they do school visits?]
    coz if they are, i'm with you - why shouldn't you be allowed to?

no-one was allowed to drive to my osaka school. not even the principal!
    But don't BOE employees drive the BOE cars? All the people at my BOE drive to work, get into a white city car and drive to the schools. On days when I want to drive to school I am suppose to do this as well. The idea being that those cars are insured by the city, and they know what condition they are in.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter