Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with harmless but annoying coworkers

Default Dealing with harmless but annoying coworkers

One of the administrative staff at my SHS talks way too much and is kind of annoying. He's also vaguely creepy, nothing counts as "sexual harassment" but I generally prefer not to be around him. I am always pleasant but recently I've been a bit more curt, like "uh huh" instead of "OH I SEE!" when he tells me something pointless.

What do you do when this happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Default Re: Dealing with harmless but annoying coworkers

I'm not asking for advice, just seeing what other people do in similar situations.
    Last edited by WesleyCrusher; September 9th, 2009 at 13:43. Reason: making it smooth

There was a really odd music teacher in my old class. She would talk to me in Japanese that even my JTE and the students couldn't understand and would randomly hum the Star Spangled Banner. Everyone thought she was a little nuts.

I just kept my distance whenever I could and maintained a polite demeanor. I dunno how often your crazy guy comes to you, but I would just grin and bear it assuming you transfer out of schools as time wears on/this is your final year.

For what it's worth, I guess my politeness paid off in that the teacher gave me a very nice set of new socks for when I transferred out.
    My Hastily Taken Photos are Better Than Your Hastily Taken Photos (My Flickr)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think the urge to become a cyborg is instinctual.

Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    One of the administrative staff at my SHS talks way too much and is kind of annoying. He's also vaguely creepy, nothing counts as "sexual harassment" but I generally prefer not to be around him. I am always pleasant but recently I've been a bit more curt, like "uh huh" instead of "OH I SEE!" when he tells me something pointless.

What do you do when this happens?
    Shouldn't be trolling in the Japan/JET forums Meelynn!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiro View Post
    There was a really odd music teacher in my old class. She would talk to me in Japanese that even my JTE and the students couldn't understand and would randomly hum the Star Spangled Banner. Everyone thought she was a little nuts.

I just kept my distance whenever I could and maintained a polite demeanor. I dunno how often your crazy guy comes to you, but I would just grin and bear it assuming you transfer out of schools as time wears on/this is your final year.

For what it's worth, I guess my politeness paid off in that the teacher gave me a very nice set of new socks for when I transferred out.
    He usually only talks to me for a total of 5-10 minutes every day, so it's really a non-issue. I just wanted some anecdotes of other people's annoying coworkers to be honest. There is no one at work who I actively dislike.

Mildly perturbing co-workers? I got 'em!

Math teacher who mutters constantly to herself, and when I asked her why she hides the school lunch milks in her desk, says that she heard if you did that, they would turn into yoghurt. Keep on keepin' on, crazy cat lady. Oh, also, she gave me a package to give to my husband (whom she has never met) I did, and it was a towel and a long letter outlining her life story. He read it, and after a few under the breath "itai nandayo"s told me to stay away from her.

Stinky music teacher, who constantly looks over my shoulder and demands to know on what research am I basing my worksheets. She then looks up the answers on Wikipedia.

3rd grade teacher with the baked-bean teeth who wants to know if I think the local mountains look like breasts. Only to the very sexually frustrated, I reply. He laughs hysterically and says "Like me!" This happens at least once a week. I think he forgets that we already had this converstion. Many, many times.

wow my coworkers seem tame... i think the talking to yourself thing is common though... its like 'if Im talking out loud i must be busy!'

Today the annoying coworker in question said "your face has gotten prettier recently." shut UP

Today the annoying coworker in question said "your face has gotten prettier recently." shut UP
    Just reply, "Nah, yours has just gotten more ugly"

Quote Originally Posted by thebigeasy View Post
    Just reply, "Nah, yours has just gotten more ugly"
    you go girl

I think the key is to strike a perfect balance. Be civil but never friendly.

I have overly-chatty JTE next to me who, at least once a day, leans over, puts her head directly between me and my computer ans asks to see what I'm looking at on the computer.

I think the key is to strike a perfect balance. Be civil but never friendly.
    I don't think that'll work. They just don't know (Japanese guys) when to stop. A friend of mine has copped it for years and she is one hard-ass bitch. I hope it works out for you.

a male teacher were trying to tell everyone else we get along because we always chat but it came out as "when we are conversing we are intercoursing"

The only good Windows KeroHazel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tiki-poto View Post
    3rd grade teacher with the baked-bean teeth who wants to know if I think the local mountains look like breasts. Only to the very sexually frustrated, I reply. He laughs hysterically and says "Like me!" This happens at least once a week. I think he forgets that we already had this converstion. Many, many times.

All they need to do is bore a tunnel near those mountains, then he can get off every time he drives through it.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigeasy View Post
    I don't think that'll work. They just don't know (Japanese guys) when to stop. A friend of mine has copped it for years and she is one hard-ass bitch. I hope it works out for you.
    He's less annoying now that I never, ever make eye contact with him. Ahahaha.

I had one of the (married, has three or four kids) special ed teachers corner me and ask for my mail address, and since then he persistently sent me like three mails a day about how cute I looked today and how he had dreams about me where he'd asked to hold my hand and I'd said 'yes.' After ignoring them for a while he was like 'so I guess you don't like me' and they stopped coming, but yeesh. Gossip around the BoE has it that I'm not the first target, either.

Recently my friend's had the old guy who does maintenance jobs around school petting her head and winking and telling her he loves her.

On the less creepy/more harmlessly annoying side I've got this one guy who sits next to me and talks to himself a lot, but he'll occasionally try to start conversation at exactly the same volume/tone as when he's talking to himself, so it's hard to just entirely shut out his muttering.

I just weird them back. I look to one side as if i'm thinking and then just suddenly go "ok, bye!" and walk off.

I like it, Alpha. I tried just replying with Ralph Wiggum lines (my cat's breath smells like cat food, it tastes like burning, etc.) until it occured to me that most of these people's problems are not English related, but that in fact, in their native language they are Ralph Wiggums so they never noticed

there's a fat slobby new history teacher that seems to have taken an unwelcome liking towards me. He looks a lot like sen. Barney Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Okay, I think this thread is over. Mike won the internet.
    http://www.japanliness.blogspot.com