Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Interac Question

Default Re: Quick Interac Question

Yea Zellous i did, it caught me off gaurd as she had called me from a mobile number!

She seemed nice enough

Well I just checked my inbox and got my reply from Interac. I didn't get the interview. I'm very disappointed to say the least. If I had had a better clue as to what the phone call was going to be like I may have had a better chance. I guess there is no point thinking about what ifs now though. Although I know I'm going to be upset about this for a while. Thanks for your encouragement guys.

I guess I will just have to try and be hopeful for the other irons I have in the fire. I have applications sent off to a number of other smaller ALT companies. Perhaps you guys could suggest some that I may not have applied to yet? Also I do have an interview with AEON in Oct, but I was hoping more to get work with an ALT dispatch company.

Good luck to you though Sinderella, I hope your email is better than mine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zellous View Post
    Well I just checked my inbox and got my reply from Interac. I didn't get the interview. I'm very disappointed to say the least. If I had had a better clue as to what the phone call was going to be like I may have had a better chance. I guess there is no point thinking about what ifs now though. Although I know I'm going to be upset about this for a while. Thanks for your encouragement guys.

I guess I will just have to try and be hopeful for the other irons I have in the fire. I have applications sent off to a number of other smaller ALT companies. Perhaps you guys could suggest some that I may not have applied to yet? Also I do have an interview with AEON in Oct, but I was hoping more to get work with an ALT dispatch company.

Good luck to you though Sinderella, I hope your email is better than mine!!!
    Sorry to hear that, good luck in your other interviews. I'm sure everyone already knows but times are just hard to get a job anywhere because of the economy. Everyone in Japan with an easy cushy job doesn't want to give that up for uncertainty back at home. Getting through to Japan with a decent salary at this point takes some good qualifications and a good interview.

Also about the Interac phone interview, I didnt want to say this earlier to make you nervous, but in my case I was told at the end of the phone interview that they wanted me for the next stage. So if you do well enough you would probably have been told so. I assume if you aren't it means they have to consider you versus other applicants and decide from there.

Best advice I can give to those who haven't had the phone interview yet is just to stay relaxed and answer the questions to the best of your ability. Showing any hesitation or getting quiet during it sure wont help you out. Honestly they won't ask you any questions that you shouldn't know the answer too if you are applying to this kind of job.

Good advice, I think the biggest draw back I have is I dont have any teaching qualifications. At least thats the only time she sounded disappointed in the telephone interview.

Im cool with the waiting as if there are those more qualified they are definately more entitled to the position especially if places are limited.

To be fair my application wasnt really 100% as i wasnt too sure if i should have just put my all into my JET and and worry about interac later, i was gutted going through the forums later and began to wish I had put more effort intot he interac app'. I didnt think I had a chance when I read Zellous got a call before me even though i sent off my app beofre him, but who knows lets just see what happens aye.

Shit, sorry to hear that. I guess it's impossible to know how many positions they're looking to fill. :/ Good luck with all the other companies.
    failure is just success rounded down, my friend!

They must do it differently in the UK because I'm in the US and at the end of my phone screening they scheduled the live interview with me right then. But I was also asked a lot of questions that I wasn't expecting! Like why I wanted to teach in Japan, why I'm interested in ESL, what my expectations were of working as an ALT. But even though they said it was a "screening" I felt like it would probably be more like a small interview. (Also, they emailed me to schedule the phone call, which was really nice and convenient because I didn't want to have to nervously wait by the phone, lol.)

Anyway, sorry to hear you didn't get the interview, Zellous. But just keep looking and be persistent! Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Uramokoy View Post
    But I was also asked a lot of questions that I wasn't expecting! Like why I wanted to teach in Japan, why I'm interested in ESL, what my expectations were of working as an ALT.
    Well, those are the questions I was talking about. You are applying for a job to teach English in a foreign country. OF COURSE, they will ask why you want to go there and teach English.

I'm not saying I didn't expect to be asked those questions at all, just that I thought the phone screening was more about finalizing and scheduling the live interview.

sorry to hear about not getting the interview... one thought that springs to mind is that you should always think of anything to do with a prospective employer as an interview - companies dont switch off until the day they tell you - they are continually making a judgment about you and the job. Also, while you dont have teaching experience, you can get relevant experiences through work or volunteering - they are looking for good communication and professionalism more than anything - skills you could demonstrate through work etc (i had customer service exp). good luck

Ok well i managed to bag an interview with interac for the end of the month, after half giving up on them, so now i guess its just a waiting game. Should i be worried about the recorded section of the interview (the mock class)? or take it as it comes?

Anyone else applying/planning to apply with interac as their main/back up choice to JET?

Are you applying to JET?
    If you are, how comes you decided to apply for other companies at this time? In my opinion it's far too early in the process. I would wait until February / March time before writing off JET. It's good to have backup options and all.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

My original mentality was jet or bust, looking around forums and viewing bloggs got me thinking maybe I couldn't tick all the boxes jet had so I started looking at alternatives. Interac had the most solid information and were relatively flexible in their intakes, so I got trigger happy and applied. I then decided to ask question about jet instead of read responses that didn't really fit my situation and have realised that I'm not completely ruled out as a jet applicant. I didn't think my unprepared/organised application on to interac would get me to the interview stage but luckily it has. Whose to say I would even get a place, but there is nothing wrong with options, if anything it has calmed down my stressing in regards to the jet apps due out the end of the week. Jet is still my number 1 choice but I've come to realise it won't be the end of the world if I'm not shortlisted

I was in pretty much the same boat, and if it's any reassurance, at least 2 years ago Interac UK were pretty flexible about it. I told them I was really sorry but I couldn't interview at that time - and then a few months later I was only a JET alternate, and emailed them to see if I could still get an interview.

Which they set up immediately, and didn't even require me to apply again

Or, just ask them if you could apply for a position that opens up in summer. Lots of people do break contract and leave mid-year, so it would definitely be possible.
    failure is just success rounded down, my friend!

Well if that's what you guys wanna do, like I said I think it's far too early to be applying to Interac bearing in mind the deadline for applications hasn't even passed yet.
    I applied to Interac around March and I got an interview straight off within a week of applying. Their application process seems FAR easier in comparison to JET.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Try looking at gaijinpot.com for job listings. Look all over Japan, not just the big cities.

The new school year starts in March, so apply now for jobs starting then. Trying to get a job mid-year is tough.