Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: enkai awkwardness?

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Default Re: enkai awkwardness?

It's awesome to go to an enkai and get your money's worth on the food!

I had one Monday and at my end of the table I probably ate at least half the sashimi.

I've often been in the position of being the only girl at an enkai with a bunch of 35+ (mostly very much +) guys. I always have fun! A lot of people suddenly have English skills as soon as they get drunk, too. I highly recommend going. Just like everyone else says, go to the first one at least, and if it's too weird, you never have to go again.

My teachers always seem really excited about me going to these things, so I really try to make an effort to go. They make sure the date/place is ok, draw me maps, constantly ask if I'll be attending... stuff like that. The enkai pretty fun... especially if the food is good. (Garlic restaurant = YUM) The big ones for all the teachers I find to be a bit more boring because of all the speeches and random "assigned" seating, but the just English teacher ones are pretty fun. I'm also one of the few girls, but my male teachers are talkative and nice and with the other couple girls there it's ok. Definitely go! Your school will probably be glad if you did.

Having gone to enkais post JET they have all been dull and boring and horribly sedate whereas ES/JHS enkais were always a laugh particularly when I had no Japanese. I do agree that it's probably easier to have fun being a bloke, although even that can be difficult when they suggest going to soapland after a sanjikai ...

go. You will be amazed at the amount of English that starts flowing from all sorts of random teachers after a few drinks... besides its the one time youll have to talk to non JTE colleagues who will, for the rest of the year, simply nod politely at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    Besides its the one time youll have to talk to non JTE colleagues who will, for the rest of the year, simply nod politely at you.
    Haha, +1 to that. I got on like a house on fire with a couple of my teachers at the sports day enkai, chatting, drinking, talking about stories from their college days... We haven't said a word since.

take your electronic dictionary. I always find I pick up a load of new words at enkais

just remember not to mention anything about the enkai at work the next day. it's a stupid line but it's true that "what happens at the enkai stays at the enkai". at least in my experience.

I find that sometimes if it's just a couple people alone in a room they'll talk some shit about someone who was really wasted.

Also the single time that I got kind of blackout drunk and was throwing meat around the table (I guess) they seemed to waive the "don't ask don't tell" enkai rule and spread it all over the place...

throwing meat? dear god.

I fall asleep unceremoniously at every nijikai and threw up at my welcome enkai. No gossip yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

meat tosser!!

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BritishChris View Post
    This is normal, just cos its you're welcome party doesn't mean you don't pay.
    I didn't pay for mine last week; I stumbled out of the Izakaya's door with the PE department (now there's a fine group of young men) and when home. 3am I woke up with a start, remembering that I didn't pay a thing... phoned my JTE when it was a reasonable time and apparently I didn't have to pay... It seems the teachers here pay monthly for their school lunches, and there's a bit left over that's put into a pot for enkais.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

My office continually has their enkai at the same restaurant, so this amounts to 4-5 trips per year to this place, and I never want to go again. It always features slightly exotic food like cod semen and giant oysters that you can't fit in your mouth or chew.

That's disgusting
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Haha, +1 to that. I got on like a house on fire with a couple of my teachers at the sports day enkai, chatting, drinking, talking about stories from their college days... We haven't said a word since.
    yeah thats the one thing that shits me working here - the work culture that says your BF when your pissed but its rude to make chit chat at work

Quote Originally Posted by Lego View Post
    My office continually has their enkai at the same restaurant, so this amounts to 4-5 trips per year to this place, and I never want to go again. It always features slightly exotic food like cod semen and giant oysters that you can't fit in your mouth or chew.
    So does one of my schools... I don't know why they always think it's a good idea to go for expensive kaiseki but the nijikais make it worthwhile!

It always disappoints me slightly that the teachers are so ridiculously friendly at enkais, but then the next day they're back to just smiling at me unsurely again.
    Last edited by arislan; September 17th, 2009 at 18:39.
    failure is just success rounded down, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    yeah thats the one thing that shits me working here - the work culture that says your BF when your pissed but its rude to make chit chat at work
    What sort of fascist place do you work at? My co-workers never stop chit chatting. Never to me because I'm the smelly gaijin monster, but to each other, they're constantly gossiping.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

What sort of fascist place do you work at? My co-workers never stop chit chatting. Never to me because I'm the smelly gaijin monster, but to each other, they're constantly gossiping.
    haven't you heard a word that coollead said about that?

get drunk. you get your money's worth and it's never boring. unless you are a bad drunk...
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

Never to me because I'm the smelly gaijin monster, but to each other, they're constantly gossiping.
    well thats the rub isnt it! i suppose i do chat to them but workplaces are so formal in Japan - a bit different to Australia (thats cool though)