Thread: Your location in the staffroom

Default Your location in the staffroom

Mine Blows. I'm right in the very middle with the Principal and VP looking over my shoulder. This means that I can't get away with internet or any personal work on my laptop. How about the rest of you? How many people do you have in your staffroom?

Used to be right next to the door. Sucked because people were rushing in and out past me all day long, not to mention closest to the door is the position of shame. This year I got moved 3 desks down to the middle of the first row. Better, but it is now in front of the class books which everyone has to return and take between every class.

Edge still beats middle though. and I sit next to a hot young thang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Okay, I think this thread is over. Mike won the internet.
    http://www.japanliness.blogspot.com

does anyone care what you do on your computer? I spent a lot of time with ITIL or various other websites open, reading news and a lot of the time with MLB Gameday showing live baseball scores.

No one ever said anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    Apparently the board of education doesnt realize I am in the fight of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    three HIV tests later spread out over 1+ year and i can now say i dont regret it

Default Re: Your location in the staffroom

I'm at the end of the room across from my first year JTEs and the cool handball coach, in a row of non-homeroom teachers and by the part-time teachers. It's a good spot. Next to a window with easy access to the kitchen and copy machine. But, those things also make my spot a fairly high traffic area. If only I drank coffee because I wouldn't have to leave my seat to get it....

Kyoto-sensei has stopped to see what news I'm reading on my computer before so I like to beware of what screen is up when English teachers walk by. XD

My place last year sucked: corner desk, but in the middle of the room in a very high-traffic area. Kyoto and kocho sensei were also behind me, so they could easily see my laptop screen (not that they care what I do, as I found out later), but I didn't want to look like I was dicking around all day.

This year is SO much better. I'm in the back of the staffroom where the JTE used to sit, so no one can see my laptop screen or sneak up on me. The heater is directly behind me, and the AC is right above my desk, which is perfect. There's an empty desk to my right, and since my desk is at the end, it's facing the row of teachers, so I've got Trampy-Sensei directly in front of me (and Butch a little to my left, who is cute, despite the nickname).

The only downside is that because I'm facing the windows a bit now, the sun can really get annoying around 3pm, and that I'll probably have to switch desks again next April.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

I'm a corner desk, towards the front of the room. People sit behind me, but facing away, and people walk by occasionally, but not too often. It's pretty sweet. I can always angle my computer screen away from the aisle, too. At another school I'm sitting with my back to the wall, which is sweet, but with people on either side.

And at my last two schools I have no computer.

I'm in the middle of the staffroom next to my supervisor and all my internet activity takes place on public computers but no one seems to mind me being on here for a couple hours every day.

There are maybe 40ish teachers in the staff room. Everyone knows to just ask nicely if they want to use the computer when I'm using it and I happily concede.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

on the edge in the middle with the other school BoE people, am facing inwards which is great but I have the snack pile there so people pass through pretty often. I'm in the middle of two people and pretty far from the door (though that closest-to-the-door crap doesnt seem to apply here as much)
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Good spot in the staff room in my base school. Good spot in one of my visit schools. I'm in a small room with about five others in my other visit school which is odd but fine as I only have one free period that day. Quite content with my lot

My desk at the BoE is directly across from the coffee/tea/omiyage table. My back is towards the table, which means anyone waiting for their tea to steep is really likely to be looking at my computer screen (but I'll never know, because they're behind me). I wish I had my supervisor's desk. He's in a corner that pretty much no one else will ever be standing in. At the schools, I have both good and bad desk spots.

I don't have a computer at either of my schools and I'm too lazy to bring my laptop every day. At one I used to sit beside the kyoto-sensei, next to the door. Which was alright actually, since the kyoto-sensei is an awesome guy who likes to talk to me. Though my spot now is in with the ichinensei teachers next to a JTE, which is kind of nice. At my other school I sit with the ninensei teachers, next to one JTE and opposite from another. So aside from the lack of computer, it's pretty good. Does force me to study a lot though
    Last edited by arislan; September 17th, 2009 at 07:20.
    failure is just success rounded down, my friend!

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

3rd from the front of the room, BUT I sit in front of the window, so nobody can see what I'm doing on my computer.

At one school I have a nice seat with the other english teachers.

My other school is different. I'm next to the special ed teacher who is never there, on the other side is one of the public computers that no one ever uses. In front of me is a pile of books and bookcases. So I'm in this like corner, walled off from everyone else by the books and bookshelf. Its a bit depressing, but that's my "bad" school, so fuck them.

I'm nestled in with the English teachers. I've got people facing away from me behind me and an empty desk for a neighbor, so I'm pretty comfortable in my secrecy.

3 tables away from the door and beside the internet workstation which I tapped onto when I'm bored. I sit beside a young JTE which I have been meaning to ask out on a date...