Thread: Cash on the side...

Pandilex

Default Cash on the side...

I heard somewhere that you cannot work if you're on the JET programme otherwise you'll be kicked out. Is this true? Can you work outside of schools, such as maybe tutoring or even something unrelated with teaching altogether?

I think technically you are not allowed to do this....however, I think you will find that the JET wage is ample. It`s enough for me anyway.
    I know a few JETS who run evening English Classes and earn a bit of extra cash that way though.

Default Re: Cash on the side...

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    Is this true?
    No.
    "I don't want to go to Waitrose, I want a fuck buddy."

I completely agree. What's the point coming here on a cultural exchange programme if you're gonna fill up your time with extra work?
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

VIP

Technically, you can work, but you can't earn money. Hence lots of JETs find themselves doing a one evening per week eikaiwa class at the town hall, and either they dont get paid, or its all official, and they get paid by their contracting organisation.

However, like most things in Japan, the rules are flexible so long as you dont "get caught". Eg, if your supervisor knows, they have to stop you, but even if they suspect, they probably dont want the hassle of having to report it, so they are unlikely to stalk you to find out.

As for getting fired, very unlikely. Probable worst case, you wont get re-contracted. Most likely, you just get a stern talking to.

Matt

Disclaimer: Everyone's Supervisor is Different, and your Supe is probably the one bastard who will stalk you!
    Mabushiii!!!

Pandilex

My Japanese teacher told me that someone worked as a private tutor for an hour or two a week, and the student learned something new which they used in class. The teacher asked them how they learned it, and they said so-and-so JET taught me it in my tutoring session with them.

The next day they got kicked out of the program...

:?:

VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    My Japanese teacher told me that someone worked as a private tutor for an hour or two a week, and the student learned something new which they used in class. The teacher asked them how they learned it, and they said so-and-so JET taught me it in my tutoring session with them.

The next day they got kicked out of the program...

:?:
    Makes you wonder about the quality of the JET... If they were a good JET, the school wouldn't want to get rid of them, and would cut them some slack (in most cases). If they were crap, the school was probably looking for a reason to kick them out....
    Either that, or someone with a ruler up their ass got wind of it, and got exciting throwing the book at them.
    Mabushiii!!!

I know of JETs that do this, but they go outside of our area, so they won't encounter students from our area and get dobbed on.
    It's offical... I HATE EARTHQUAKES!

Quote Originally Posted by Purrdence
    ...... and get dobbed on.
    Gerroff Dob!

(I`m sorry, I don`t know why I am so mean to you.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Gerroff Dob!
    That's not what you were saying last night, honey...
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

come to think of it, I DO know why I am so mean to you...

Are you going to punish me?

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Are you going to punish me?
    Isn't that what the forking is all about? :wink:

(I wish there were an evil wink smilie.)
    All through the night
    Stray cat is crying, so stray cat sings back