Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 application open in the US?

Default 2010 application open in the US?

The US Jet page was recently updated with the 2010 application dead line of November 24, 2009. Except there are no links to any pertinent documents.

Is this just epically bad site design? Can anyone else find an application anywhere?

Its seems strange to post a deadline before posting the information needed to apply. I found application steps, and a link to a list of required documents, but absolutely no link to documents.

JET Program - Official Website (USA)

(This forum is aptly named. I'm think i'm lost, and i haven't even started. Is this some sort of puzzle. The first test is seeing how can naviage their mysterious site. Should i be looking at the page source for <a href>tags? God damn.)

As far as I know the application won't open until end of September/early October. The deadline is almost always the same - the last Friday of November.

There are some supporting documents you could prepare now though, i.e. your SoP, start gathering your references, academic transcripts etc. This will give you a good headstart and take a bit of pressure off the online application itself. Have a look at old threads too as this forums is pretty helpful and the people are friendly Good luck!

Default Re: 2010 application open in the US?

Hahaha yeah, it's said that for a while now. I expect it'll open in mid to late October. I can't remember when it opened last year, but it was later than expected.

This still doesn't stop me from checking every day, though =\

Yeah im also banking they will have the apps up around mid october, heck October is only 10 days away!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is checking everyday. I wish they'd open it sooner because my reference letters told me to give them a months time to write me one :/

Weird, they could have mentioned that the deadline is x, but applications haven't opened yet, and saved me half an hour of searching.

@rebecca09suzanne, why don't you have them start writing now?

Because there is a page they have to fill out that comes with the application and I want to make sure they read/fill it out first, that way I don't have to ask them to re-write it just in case they didn't do it to the application's specifications. I don't think it'll really be a serious problem if I explain it to them why I'm giving them less than a month (I want to mail out my application 10 days in advance) but they might be irritated...oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by TizzyFoe View Post
    Weird, they could have mentioned that the deadline is x, but applications haven't opened yet, and saved me half an hour of searching.

Pfft what would be the fun in that? :P They like to be as vague as possible!

In NZ we're meant to get the applications mid-September...it is well and truly past mid-September now! I've been checking the embassy site about 4 times a day...okay more like 10 times now that my senior classes are off on exams and I have less to teach

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    In NZ we're meant to get the applications mid-September...it is well and truly past mid-September now! I've been checking the embassy site about 4 times a day...okay more like 10 times now that my senior classes are off on exams and I have less to teach
    Yea, I was checking a lot around mid-September. But now I usually just check it in the evening. Though, last year they came out on the 23rd...so if history repeats itself, I guess the end of this week they should be out for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
    Yea, I was checking a lot around mid-September. But now I usually just check it in the evening. Though, last year they came out on the 23rd...so if history repeats itself, I guess the end of this week they should be out for us.

I hope it's before Friday...I want to be able to print it from the school printers rather than try to get my behemoth of a printer to work! Then I can procrastinate by filling the application out rather than mark my many exams during the hols

This thread got my exited for a minute.... But yea the deadline has been listed for awhile.. One of these days I plan to go to the academic service at my uni so I can get the "offical seal" on a document (that apparently they have? Time will tell..) to show that I am indeed graduating in Spring 2010... Fun times.
    "Psychologically, you have to have confidence in yourself and this confidence should be based on fact."

They have a seal? I think my university just sends out a statement on letter head with the registrar's "signature" (stamp) on it. For being the second largest college in my state my school's official papers look pretty ghetto. The first university I went to I had cows across from my dorm and they have a nice transcript, I'm afraid the one I have from my current school almost looks fake :/. It's just printed out with an reddish-orange stamped seal and a signature stamp...

Laramie, WY [Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA]

So, I went to a career fair today because the rep. from my consulate was going to be there for the JET booth. Talked to her for a while and she was really nice. I asked about the applications and she said she's supposed to get the last draft for edits in the next day or two, so she's hoping it'll go up sometime next week. Just FYI for all of you who are anticipating as much as I am.
    ローレン
    Japanese life, including how I have to get there first:
    http://morethansushi.livejournal.com

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

loanwords, i understand your fiancee is japanese, so are you intending to go to japan with or without JET?
    coz if not, your blog's a bit premature, yeah!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Laramie, WY [Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA]

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    loanwords, i understand your fiancee is japanese, so are you intending to go to japan with or without JET?
    coz if not, your blog's a bit premature, yeah!
    Yep, we're moving there in the summer no matter what.
    ローレン
    Japanese life, including how I have to get there first:
    http://morethansushi.livejournal.com

Thank goodness! I thought I was going crazy when I checked the site. I spotted the deadline notice and (foolishly) assumed that this meant that the application was officially available. Ten minutes of my life, gone forever. Woe is me, etc.

I may as well start asking for references and getting transcripts- I studied abroad a couple of times, so that'll be, er, interesting to work out..

***Breaking news out of the US site***

US Application will open on the 5th of October.

We now a definitive deadline. Hopefully they stick to it haha

and yeah, I wanted to be dramatic, hence the **** and bold :P
    Last edited by ExclamationMark; September 26th, 2009 at 06:20.

Yay...the day before my birthday. -_-

I still don't get why it's being put up so late when pretty much all the information on it is the same as last year's application and the year before that.

Getting right down to it, seems that all places should put up the online application at the same time. The deadline to turn them in, I could see varying.

That's a week from today! Wonder if knowing that will make me any more likely to get off my lazy ass and start gathering transcripts and references... ha. Everyone who was telling me to GTFO when I was posting here in the summer can now say "I told you so," cause I'm experiencing a definite downswing in motivation. Slightly more excited now though