Thread: Activities for a special needs class

Default Activities for a special needs class

Im about to teach a class of special needs kids by myself and I have no idea what to do!

ideas?

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: Activities for a special needs class

uno
    really play in japanese once, then in english....colors, numbers...few new vocab words.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Quote Originally Posted by kawyn View Post
    Im about to teach a class of special needs kids by myself and I have no idea what to do!

ideas?
    I'm having the same problem. And the main teacher will be on leave. What I did was to "repeat after me" exercises. We did the calendar. And I DEMOed with the teacher on: "When is your birthday?" and "My birthday is...."

This went fairly decent.

The next thing I'm doing is following their textbooks. They have cassette tapes on the dialogues in their textbooks. Get them to role play 2 scenes. Then sing songs. And review.

Always start every lesson with greeting. How are you? How's the weather? I bring to class cartoon pictures of happy, sad, angry, etc. faces and get them to tell me how they feel.

Any more ideas?

Kelveto- that sounds like your special needs class is quite advanced if they could role play.

My class was a bit of a flop.
    I started off with some songs like heads shoulders knees and toes which they had no problems with because they already knew the song.
    next i taught them about a cultural event. i printed off related images and asked them to make a poster together.
    it was a small class of 3 kids so it should have been okay but one kid didnt want to draw and another kid started crying uncontrollably....
    it was a nightmare.

FiercestCalm

I have my first class tomorrow. It's all the 1-3rd graders, but there's only 6 of them. I'm doing my self-intro and then as the game I'm giving them each a small whiteboard. I'll say the vocab word and have them draw it and hold it up when done.

I'm either reccomending this to you or asking for advice... I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by FiercestCalm View Post
    I have my first class tomorrow. It's all the 1-3rd graders, but there's only 6 of them. I'm doing my self-intro and then as the game I'm giving them each a small whiteboard. I'll say the vocab word and have them draw it and hold it up when done.

I'm either reccomending this to you or asking for advice... I'll let you know how it goes.

I like your idea. It's simple and cool. Thanks mate!

Hey Kawyn! I hear you. I'm thinking of doing a very simple phone conversation! And I'm bringing 3 phones to class. One of them is my apartment phone. Hehe!

I scanned 4 pictures from their textbook. Put it on powerpoint and display them on the blackboard. I'll install a ringing tone on my laptop. I'll play the tone. And the teacher and I will DEMO it out. Repeat this till the cows come home. Hehe!

The PPT on the blackboard is for mere reference. Those who need the visual can look at it. It may not be much at all for them as 7 out of 10 of them can't read but it'll give them the leverage to mimic, if all things fail. As the slide is from their textbook, they can see it to mimic the cartoon conversations using actual phones.

I will then engage selective individuals. I will pair them up. And let them practise. I will check and guide as they practise. Then I will select e best 2 pairs to come up to the front and present to us. This should be enough, coupled with amazing doses of encouragement along the way.

I will try this out on Friday and let you guys know how it went. What do you think? I don't intend to capture all ten of them. I'm happy if I can capture 7 or even 1. =)
    Last edited by Kelveto; October 5th, 2009 at 12:21.

hey kelveto
    u know u can get FREE fake keitai models from mobile shops like Softbank, Docomo and AU.
    They are the fake models they used to put on display when the phones were out.
    You can usually get one free per person. I dragged my JTE with me so I got 2 free.
    The phones are really good as they are popular with the kids but they dont actually work so it doesnt disrupt the class.
    go ask for some

FiercestCalm

The whiteboard activity was really nice - I called it a game but of course nobody 'wins.' They each got to draw and helped their friends, and if you vary the vocab different students will be good at drawing different things (for example a few of my girls were great at drawing cats and the boys really enjoyed drawing cars).

i find whiteboards really useful too
    but when it comes to drawing, my kids take forever to draw like one picture.
    if i asked them to draw a circle they would probably draw an entire face and then rub out bits eventually to get a circle!

Quote Originally Posted by kawyn View Post
    hey kelveto
    u know u can get FREE fake keitai models from mobile shops like Softbank, Docomo and AU.
    They are the fake models they used to put on display when the phones were out.
    You can usually get one free per person. I dragged my JTE with me so I got 2 free.
    The phones are really good as they are popular with the kids but they dont actually work so it doesnt disrupt the class.
    go ask for some
    Cool! Thanks mate!