Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand applications open

Default New Zealand applications open

Hey everyone,

Just to let all you Kiwis know the applications for the JET programme are officially open on the Japanese Embassy website.

Good luck to all those applying!

I filled in the application form on Saturday, since I didn't really have anything else to do.

Just need to get in touch with a JP and wait for my 2nd reference letter provider to get back from overseas and then I can post it away.

I only just noticed this year they want the original + 3 copies.
    Bit of photocopying there to do.

Good luck Kiwis.

Default Re: New Zealand applications open

Good luck to all the new kiwis applying!!

Feel free to shout out if you need help ... I'll try to do my best to give you something constructive and hopefully useful. PM me if need be. Last year the other kiwis on the site really helped me out so I'd love to do the same.

Oh man I just braved a cybercafe during school holidays so I could print the application form off (my printer has died). I don't know if I'll be able to get the smell out of my clothes now...pubescent boys lanning it up...urg

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Oh man I just braved a cybercafe during school holidays so I could print the application form off (my printer has died). I don't know if I'll be able to get the smell out of my clothes now...pubescent boys lanning it up...urg
    Gutted.
    Just hope you don't make a mistake and have to re-print a page....or do what I did and make the same mistake twice....

Oh I made a couple of mistakes...but I think I can wait a few more days until I head back into school and use the big printers there heh. They leave barely any room for some of the info!

yay!! Finally applications open!
    Good luck kiwis!

This should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwikid View Post
    Good luck to all the new kiwis applying!!

Feel free to shout out if you need help ... I'll try to do my best to give you something constructive and hopefully useful. PM me if need be. Last year the other kiwis on the site really helped me out so I'd love to do the same.
    Hey Kiwikid you got in last year hey? Where'd you end up? Lots of kiwis there?

Doesn't seem like there's a place where yo lot all end up like with other nationalities and regions. We had a few in Okayama but really no more than 3 at a time sort of thing.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Hey Dom,

Yeah I'm here - in Little Hawaii no less. We actually doubled the kiwi population down here when we arrived so now there are 8 of us. Woo hoo!! I think that's the most out of all the prefectures, but then again we're scattered amongst all the islands so it's not like we see each other. (Nothing like a slow boat to Ishigaki!).
    Hokkaido is where most of the kiwis end up otherwise ...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwikid View Post
    Hey Dom,

Yeah I'm here - in Little Hawaii no less. We actually doubled the kiwi population down here when we arrived so now there are 8 of us. Woo hoo!! I think that's the most out of all the prefectures, but then again we're scattered amongst all the islands so it's not like we see each other. (Nothing like a slow boat to Ishigaki!).
    Hokkaido is where most of the kiwis end up otherwise ...
    I'm not sure how reliable the Hokkaido info is, but that sure is a shitload of kiwis in Oki. I knew of one but he's since scarpered.

Hey few Qs for the kiwis...

For your Reference Letter - does it mention your graduation date??
    I know that all countries vary but I wasn't sure about NZ req.

Also... did you/will you hand in your original or copy official transcripts? (Because at first- i thought it was alright to send a copy but when i double-checked the application stated that we need to send in the original)
    Last edited by RinNa; November 25th, 2009 at 12:41.

If you haven't graduated then one of the references must be from a lecturer/tutor and must contain a date of your expected graduation.

If you have graduated it doesn't matter.

Send the originals. You can get as many official sets from your uni (at a price of course) as you want.
    You need to send a copy of your degree (if you have one).

I have a dilemma then....
    You see- I got my 2 ref letters sorted out months ago but the only problem is that just recently I found out the 'expected date of graduation' was suppose to be stated in one of the ref letters. My 1st ref is not in New Zealand anymore and my 2nd ref has been away on holiday and still haven't come back. So what should I do?
    Do i lose brownie points for not having the grad date mentioned on ref letter?

Quote Originally Posted by RinNa View Post
    I have a dilemma then....
    You see- I got my 2 ref letters sorted out months ago but the only problem is that just recently I found out the 'expected date of graduation' was suppose to be stated in one of the ref letters. My 1st ref is not in New Zealand anymore and my 2nd ref has been away on holiday and still haven't come back. So what should I do?
    Do i lose brownie points for not having the grad date mentioned on ref letter?
    I guess you could just send it in as is then. As long as you have the letter of expected graduation I don't think they'd disqualify you over it. You may loose some points or you may not, who knows.

Your other option would be to find another tutor/lecturer for a letter of rec.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
    I guess you could just send it in as is then. As long as you have the letter of expected graduation I don't think they'd disqualify you over it. You may loose some points or you may not, who knows.

Your other option would be to find another tutor/lecturer for a letter of rec.
    I had the same problem and I still made it to Japan. The uni didn't want to provide an expected graduation date as they were waiting for the exam schedules and marking deadlines to be confirmed.

I ended up contacting the consulate and explaining the problem. They allowed me to provide proof of graduation date in a separate letter on the university letterhead paper.

Contact the consulate - they're fairly open minded about these sorts of things. My degree landed on their desks by computer literally at the last minute of the final deadline, so anything is possible.

Good luck.

Thank you Absolute and Kiwikid!!
    Best of luck to you guys too!

Hey fellow kiwis! (gonna bump this thread!) Hey Kiwikid!!! Long time since I've been on here - I made it to Fukushima (north of Tokyo) in August. How's Oki been?!

Anyway, again, if anyone has questions feel free to ask! Hope you've all had an interview!
    Shortlisted | Group B | Christchurch NZ ----> Iwaki Shi, Fukushima Ken

If any more Kiwis come on JET there will be noone left on your Island.

Who is going to look after those short hairy footed folks?

hahaha good one Liz, those little hairy footed people are pretty independent though, think they'll be alright.

FYI, there are over 10 kiwis in the prefecture I'm in
    Shortlisted | Group B | Christchurch NZ ----> Iwaki Shi, Fukushima Ken