Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preferences?

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jade View Post

EDIT: It's just too bad I don't have a boyfriend. The closest I have is a guy in Tokyo that works for a shop... and he visits the branch in Fukuoka often, too. Maybe I should say that on the application??
    Please say that part was a joke...

Do you think that girls with Japanese boyfriends are more likely to be placed near them than guys with Japanese girlfriends?
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    This brings up an interesting point. There`s a big difference between saying you want to jump into another culture and actually doing it. I imagine that for a lot of people the genki gets ground away after a few months, the cold sets in, feeling tired convinces them to skip a few events, and next thing you know they are locked in their rooms.
    True, and I suppose that being a hikikomori is also part of Japan's culture...even if Japan won't admit it.

Default Re: Preferences?

I mentioned the Hanshin Tigers in my interview and they placed me ten minutes from Koshien stadium, dead centre between Osaka and Kobe. True story.

Pretty much what I listed above...

I studied abroad in Tokyo and I LOVED it, and I would actually love to go back. But Tokyo is one of the top requests, so I thought I'd have a better chance requesting something else. I thought Kyushu would be nice because... I'm from Georgia, and I actually freeze to death in anything under 50 degrees.

Then I started looking up Fukuoka City, and it's on the coast, but it's still a large city (which I love), and it has the only live house in Kyushu that my favorite bands visit. So you were right when you said it's selfish reasoning. It is. I just love cities, love the ocean, love concerts, and I feel like it's a big enough city and close to Korea, so it'll have plenty of tourists to translate for as a CIR. That's really it. Selfish love.

EDIT: It's just too bad I don't have a boyfriend. The closest I have is a guy in Tokyo that works for a shop... and he visits the branch in Fukuoka often, too. Maybe I should say that on the application??
    I know this has already been said, but it bears repeating.

You will most likely be placed rural. You may not be able to find it on a map. It may or may not have a supermarket. Even if it is a city, chances are it won't be the one you want. Don't start out thinking "this is where I really want to go and I'll be really pissed if I don't get it."

Still, as a CIR you have a higher chance of being placed in a city, and it is just a preference, but don't get too attached to any particular place. Walk in with an "anywhere will do" attitude to the interview and you are more likely to succeed.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about specifics of the job. It really is far too ESID to try and predict which place would be the best to work for.
    I firmly believe that goofy and awkward are the signs of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Spore13 View Post
    Still, as a CIR you have a higher chance of being placed in a city, and it is just a preference, but don't get too attached to any particular place. Walk in with an "anywhere will do" attitude to the interview and you are more likely to succeed.

The CIRs I know have it worse than the ALTs. One guy I know moved into his new home on arrival in Japan and was told that he had to maintain the vegetable field at the back of the house as part of his job.

Whaaatttt. Give that house to me! lol

Come be a CIR in Mie then.

"The closest I have is a guy in Tokyo that works for a shop... and he visits the branch in Fukuoka often, too. Maybe I should say that on the application??"
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Please say that part was a joke...
    Yes, that was definitely a joke. Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Spore13 View Post
    I know this has already been said, but it bears repeating.

You will most likely be placed rural. You may not be able to find it on a map. It may or may not have a supermarket. Even if it is a city, chances are it won't be the one you want. Don't start out thinking "this is where I really want to go and I'll be really pissed if I don't get it."

I don't think there's harm in showing that I have a preference for a certain "block" of the country, though. And that's all I plan on doing. I don't REALLY care too much where I'm placed as long as I get accepted and get to use Japanese. I'm really interesting in being a CIR with JET for my future profession, so that's why it's so important to me.

I've heard that CIRs get stuck with whatever work is around, and if you're in the middle of nowhere, there's not too much for you to translate. So that's the only reason I'm concerned about getting into an urban area vs. a rural area.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishChris View Post
    Also CIRs rarely end up "translating for tourists".
    Oh and it gets damn cold here just like Kanto/Kansai. You want warm? Request Okinawa.
    I don't expect to be "translating for tourists"... I basically meant that if you don't have anything going on around you and no tourists anywhere near by, there's no need for translation of anything.

And as I said before, I studied in Tokyo for a year, so I'm rather well aware of how cold Kanto is. That's one big reason why I'm requesting Kyushu, not Kanto or Kansai. I know it's not Okinawa, but it's definitely further south.

Why do you say CIR as a "profession"?

It's really just a temporary exchange program.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

I'm infamous for being obsessed with my placement here. I didn't get anything I wanted and am still very happy with my placement. How your school and boe treat you will mean a lot more than the geography of your placement.

What the schools and boes want takes preference over what you want. If both preferences are the same, you get what you want. If not, well...
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    Why do you say CIR as a "profession"?

It's really just a temporary exchange program.
    No, I didn't say CIR as a profession. I meant that CIR is good training and experience for my future profession.

I want to become a translator/interpreter. Since a CIR is SUPPOSED to use Japanese everyday and work with translations, it will help me gain fluency and give me work experience in translation.

BUT, I heard that if you get placed in the middle of nowhere, and there's nothing to translate, they use you as an ALT and you don't get to work with translations much (if at all). So I wanted to be placed where I would definitely have work with languages. That's what I meant.

I think you should head on over to the CIR homepage and ask them questions. I think you'll find out that CIRs don't typically do that much translating no matter where they are placed.

CIR Homepage :: Index

But it is a decent first step into the profession. Just don't be surprised if you get here and you are teaching pre-school most of the time and rarely ever translate a document.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; October 24th, 2009 at 15:54.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

I've heard from a CIR that she works with translating documents about half the time, so I know it's possible to spend a decent amount of time working with translations.

Even if I don't get to translate much, I'll be happy so long as I'm using my Japanese. I'm at a semi-advanced level, so I need to gain fluency. After all, you can't be a translator until you fully know both languages you're trying to translate in!

Fukuoka is awesome! Not too big, not too small. And plus, it's just a 2hr 55m boat ride into Pusan, which is another of my favorite destinations!

Quote Originally Posted by enrique_suave View Post
    Pro tips!

If you want to live in Tokyo, request Chiba.
    If you want to live in Osaka, request Hyogo.
    Hey, do you have any tips like that for people who want to live in/near Kyoto?

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post

Request Kyoto, Hyogo, Osaka.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

seek psychiatric help
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    seek psychiatric help
    Yeah, so: since I'm sure you're trying to be helpful -- I mean, what possible reason would you have for randomly being unhelpful to someone who knows way less about Japan than you? -- you could do me a big favor by explaining what you mean by this.

Do you mean that, even though it seems cool, Kyoto is actually a nasty place to live, and I'd do better requesting someplace else? If so, I'd love it if you explained why!

Thanks!

it seems cool
    oh dear, nevermind I'm sure you'll fit right in.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

And as I said before, I studied in Tokyo for a year, so I'm rather well aware of how cold Kanto is. That's one big reason why I'm requesting Kyushu, not Kanto or Kansai. I know it's not Okinawa, but it's definitely further south.
    Further south yes, but in terms of weather we are not talking much, It might be a few degrees warmer down in Kagoshima and Miyazaki but that's about it.

You mentioned Fukuoka specifically and thus this is why I have made the regarding the weather. If you look on a map you can see how much lower down Fukuoka is. It's not much, and weather here is pretty much on par with Tokyo.
    Last edited by Tarquin; November 9th, 2009 at 14:46.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.