Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions Specifically regarding Application

Default Questions Specifically regarding Application

Well.. The title pretty much covers it... To kicks things off I have a few questions regarding the application...

Problem #1. In question 8...

"If you have dual citizenship with Japan and the United States, select Yes. (If you are accepted to the JET Program, you will have to renounce your Japanese citizenship before you submit your Reply Form in April. Please call the JET Program Office for more information.) If you have dual citizenship with the United States and a country other than Japan, select No."

So.. Where is the option for people who don't have dual citizenship anywhere.. Just a citizen of the US? I assume just choosing "No" would be fine?

Problem #2 - Side comment really, when they say state "NA" are they expecting you to write NA to followup questions that you already responded "no" too? For example, in question 12a, (answered single), part "c" states "If you answer Yes to 12b, please select your partner's (spouse/fiance) interview location below (refer to Question #1)." Normally, that would = dont put anything right? but since I keep seeing the "must complete ALL questions. If a question does not apply to you, enter 'N/A'" its driving me a bit crazy, as there kind of contradicting each other... Ideas?

Problem #3. in question 17, regarding "Job prefernces" it states

"Only for ALT applicants and CIR applicants who answered Yes to Question #2b.

a. Primary/Elementary Schools
    Language education in primary/elementary schools aims to familiarize students with different languages and cultures, and to encourage interest and enthusiasm for language learning. Do you wish to get actively involved in education at primary/elementary schools?
    "

now the thing is, question 2b question was...

"2b. ALT Placement (for CIR applicants only)

If you are not offered a CIR position but prove eligible for the ALT position, would you like to be considered as an ALT? If you answer Y, you must also answer Question #17a.

Would you like to be considered for the ALT position?
    "
    anyone else see the problem? So... I am lost. It says for both ALT and CIR hopefuls, but then if you look to question 2b, that question is purely for CIRs... Not ALTs...

Problem # 4 For questions 18-21, with those 500 or so word prompts, if none of them apply, just write NA?

Problem #5 My official major + minor title is longer then the space offered on question 25... and shortening it doesn't exactly make much sense. Suggestions?

Chances are I'll have more questions.. But I figure this thread we can help each other out throughout the application process.

I guess a big question is, if the question doesn't have a * do you have to answer it? I mean the top states you have to answer all questions, but but the directions state that * are the "must fill" sections..
    "Psychologically, you have to have confidence in yourself and this confidence should be based on fact."

I was also confused on question #8. I just put 'no'

Cheers

Default Re: Questions Specifically regarding Application

Is 'Liberal Arts' classified as Humanities: Other or just #80: Other? My major is so dumb.

Also the way that they define 'Semi-Advanced' Japanese would include me under that category, but I'm pretty sure that I'm just plan intermediate.

And no, this isn't that hard, but I might as well take advantage of this website, that's (sort of) what it's here for, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceDivison View Post
    Well.. The title pretty much covers it... To kicks things off I have a few questions regarding the application...

"If you have dual citizenship with Japan and the United States, select Yes. (If you are accepted to the JET Program, you will have to renounce your Japanese citizenship before you submit your Reply Form in April. Please call the JET Program Office for more information.) If you have dual citizenship with the United States and a country other than Japan, select No."

So.. Where is the option for people who don't have dual citizenship anywhere.. Just a citizen of the US? I assume just choosing "No" would be fine?
    Are you a Japanese citizen? Answer no if you are NOT a Japanese citizen.

Problem #2 - Side comment really, when they say state "NA" are they expecting you to write NA to followup questions that you already responded "no" too? For example, in question 12a, (answered single), part "c" states "If you answer Yes to 12b, please select your partner's (spouse/fiance) interview location below (refer to Question #1)." Normally, that would = dont put anything right? but since I keep seeing the "must complete ALL questions. If a question does not apply to you, enter 'N/A'" its driving me a bit crazy, as there kind of contradicting each other... Ideas?
    Yes, put N/A since it says to do so, if it's that tedious to you then ctrl+c and ctrl+v it.

Language education in primary/elementary schools aims to familiarize students with different languages and cultures, and to encourage interest and enthusiasm for language learning. Do you wish to get actively involved in education at primary/elementary schools?
    "

If you are not offered a CIR position but prove eligible for the ALT position, would you like to be considered as an ALT? If you answer Y, you must also answer Question #17a.

"
    anyone else see the problem? So... I am lost. It says for both ALT and CIR hopefuls, but then if you look to question 2b, that question is purely for CIRs... Not ALTs...
    The first questions applies to both the second only applies to CIR positions. I did not select anything since I'm not applying to CIR, if it's that confusing call someone at the JET office.

Problem # 4 For questions 18-21, with those 500 or so word prompts, if none of them apply, just write NA?
    yes, N/A

Problem #5 My official major + minor title is longer then the space offered on question 25... and shortening it doesn't exactly make much sense. Suggestions?
    Mine doesn't fit either, I'm getting a degree in Art with an emphasis in Art History and a minor in Anthropology. I just shortened it to Major: Art History Minor: Anthropology. I think they'd understand.

I guess a big question is, if the question doesn't have a * do you have to answer it? I mean the top states you have to answer all questions, but but the directions state that * are the "must fill" sections..
    Put N/A in all the blanks like it says at the top, those are the questions that you MUST have an answer to, I'm assuming it is in regards to things such as names/phone numbers etc.

Pretty much if you just carefully read the instructions you can figure these things out, we're all supposed to be college graduates and capable of critical thinking. I hate to seem as though I'm a conspiracy theorist of sorts but perhaps this is just another 'test' to see who can/cannot follow directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
    Is 'Liberal Arts' classified as Humanities: Other or just #80: Other? My major is so dumb.

Also the way that they define 'Semi-Advanced' Japanese would include me under that category, but I'm pretty sure that I'm just plan intermediate.

And no, this isn't that hard, but I might as well take advantage of this website, that's (sort of) what it's here for, right?
    Liberal arts are things like music/poetry/literature/fine art

humanities are things like history/sociology/anthropology - at least at my university that is how things are classified.

Edit: I would put it as other since my University considers me to be in the liberal arts college but the application puts me in the humanities. Is your degree just "liberal arts" with no specialization?
    Last edited by rebecca09suzanne; October 7th, 2009 at 06:39.

My school doesn't have majors. Upon graduation I will receive a Bachelor of Arts degree in liberal arts.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Click No.

Yes. Never, ever, EVER leave anything blank. If it is N/A, then write in N/A

"

"
    CIRs who are not selected for the job can still be considered for the ALT position. Just answer the questions as straightforwardly as you can.

Are you applying for ALT or CIR?

What is your major/minor? Site unseen, I would say just put in your major, but...what they are might be important....
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

10. Criminal History*
    Have you ever been arrested, charged and/or convicted of any crime other than a minor traffic offense (ie. speeding or parking ticket), including a juvenile offense?*

does that mean arrest AND charged AND/OR conviction? or just arrested?
    please help....
    For me, Today's Word of the Day is: tokei

Take THAT, Vocab!

also...for education (q 13) what do they mean when they ask "major name" after "major code" do we just write out our major?

Take THAT, Vocab!

Quote Originally Posted by California Sun View Post
    10. Criminal History*
    Have you ever been arrested, charged and/or convicted of any crime other than a minor traffic offense (ie. speeding or parking ticket), including a juvenile offense?*

please help....
    I think the key point is "would it show up on your FBI background check? Where you fingerprinted? If so, then I would think you'd have to write "Yes" and simply follow up with explaining the situation etc. Hopefully someone else can clarify....

Thanks everyone who has answered the previous questions, I do appericate it. I just have a few more....

Question 30: On the "Japan related Studies and Foreign Language Skills" page, it indicates to list formal language classes you have taken and also states the grade you received, which is fine. But, currently I am taking a Japanese class... so for the grade, since I don't know it.. would simply a "NA" be appropriate?

Also, for questions that are Dates involved, for example club activities, would you just write "date started" - "present" if your still currently doing it?
    Last edited by ScienceDivison; October 7th, 2009 at 08:42. Reason: expanded.
    "Psychologically, you have to have confidence in yourself and this confidence should be based on fact."

I was on the semester dean's list for 7 semesters. For the honors section, should I just put dean's list on one row and indicate it was for 7 consecutive semesters, or should I list each semester individually (which there aren't enough rows for)? Should I even list this considering it's already on my transcript?

I see no reason why you shouldn't put it down, if anything it reinforces your academic strength.

I think the key point is "would it show up on your FBI background check? Where you fingerprinted? If so, then I would think you'd have to write "Yes" and simply follow up with explaining the situation etc. Hopefully someone else can clarify....
    That's what I figured. I was just hoping by some grace of God that I could omit that! haha. Oh well, past mistakes always come back to bite you. (it's not for anything that bad, so I am not too worried - just kinda embarrassed )

Take THAT, Vocab!

@ Science:
    I'm putting the dates I started - N/A since I don't think there's enough space for present. I'm also putting N/A down for grades of classes I'm currently enrolled in.

@etoile:
    If you've got space to fill why not? I'm putting down all of my achievements and then if I have space left over I'm putting down the academic once I've gotten. My reasoning for putting down other one's I've gotten first is because, like you said, they'll be able to see your status on the transcript.
    Last edited by rebecca09suzanne; October 7th, 2009 at 10:14.

Why do I go to a school where there is no such thing as a dean's list, academic accomplishments, or merit scholarships, again?

How much is this huge blank section of my application going to hurt me?

Quote Originally Posted by California Sun View Post
    10. Criminal History*

please help....

You put no unless you were convicted.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Why do I go to a school where there is no such thing as a dean's list, academic accomplishments, or merit scholarships, again?

How much is this huge blank section of my application going to hurt me?
    I'm curious, what kind of school do you go to? Is it a private liberal arts school or something like that? I think that if you're in a private liberal arts school it already speaks for your academic achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by etoile filante View Post
    I was on the semester dean's list for 7 semesters. For the honors section, should I just put dean's list on one row and indicate it was for 7 consecutive semesters, or should I list each semester individually (which there aren't enough rows for)? Should I even list this considering it's already on my transcript?
    I have this same issue. I did graduate with honor so I am going to put that down, and i know for some semesters I was on the dean's list but I don't remember when. Can I simply put down "made dean's list several times" or some variation of that?
    edit: duh, it says right on my official transcript the semesters I made dean's list. I made it several times in a row. i suppose I could put something like "dean's list from spring 2002-fall 2003"
    Does Dean's List qualify as an award? Should I include it? Or is it redundant to graduating with honor?
    Last edited by alsmith; October 7th, 2009 at 15:27.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca09suzanne View Post
    I'm curious, what kind of school do you go to? Is it a private liberal arts school or something like that? I think that if you're in a private liberal arts school it already speaks for your academic achievements.
    I go to Sarah Lawrence, a small, hipster liberal arts school outside of New York City. It's great education if you make the most out of it but, unfortunately, most of the people I know who graduated from here are unemployed

I go to Sarah Lawrence, a small, hipster liberal arts school outside of New York City. It's great education if you make the most out of it but, unfortunately, most of the people I know who graduated from here are unemployed
    Sounds like one of the colleges in my town.Most the kids that go there are hipsters and they all party like crazy, haha. They have a program called "odyssey" where you 'create' your own major, I'm pretty sure those kids just end up with a BA in Liberal Arts as well. I chose to go to the state run school because it was cheaper, lol. You might mention that you were accepted into a private lib. arts college since that's an achievement (it seems like one to me at least).
    Last edited by rebecca09suzanne; October 7th, 2009 at 11:18.