Thread: Thinking of Buying the Genki English Series

Default Thinking of Buying the Genki English Series

Any Advice or tips from people who've used it? Or maybe you or someone you know was using it, but then eventually got opposition from it?

Also, if someone is interested in selling their copy, let me know.

Default Re: Thinking of Buying the Genki English Series

I use some of the Genki English songs for 1st and 2nd years in elementary school. I've found them really helpful, and the kids respond to it really well. Sometimes I use them with the 3rd and 4th years too but never any older than that. (However, I think the Genki English songs would work better than the songs and chants on Eigo Note.)
    Homophobia is so gay.

I'm also curious about this set. Anybody else care to chime in? There must be more people out there who have come across it...
    Concerts and shit are supposed to be about hangin' with friends, gettin' wasted, and enjoyin' some tunes!

I am very seriously considering this purchase as well--advice, anyone?

I have been quite impressed with the songs and what I can see of the worksheets. I'd complain about the drawings being just awful, but they are endearingly cute in a way, and when I consider how much time I spend on awesome cartoons and worksheets, I think I don't mind the Genki art so much.

The only thing is that I'm at JHS right now and hoping to transfer to shougakkou soon.

The artwork is awful and I'm fairly certain the kids would hate it.

I use MES flashcards at work that are Western-style animation and sometimes the kids react with horror (especially the animals).

Maybe 1-3 nen wouldn't care so much about the art though. Someone left me a CD though and although I haven't used it much the songs are pretty good for young kids.

I went ahead and bought the 10 CD bundle. Best purchase I ever did for teaching. Not only do the kids love it, but the teachers are very glad that I have it. Its very good for when you need a quick lesson. Its nice to have an alternative to Eigo Noto. And I feel more useful, especially with the push to have the homeroom teachers doing the teaching. I even have teachers asking to borrow the CDs and using them on open to the parents class day.

As far as the animations, half of my students don't ever see them, because some schools don't have projectors for me to use, and I make my own flash cards most of the time.

But kindergarten up to 4th graders seem to really enjoy the animations, and 5th and 6th graders don't ever complain about it. I sometimes use the lessons to teach to my jr. high kids for remedial learning, and only at the 3rd year level can I tell a definite mood change (for the worse) when they see the animations. The 1st and 2nd years are mixed.

I hope that helps.