Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Post your SOPs here:

Quote Originally Posted by agrilledfish View Post
    Rereading this is embarrassing, but the interviewers liked it and it got me into JET so I suppose it can't be that bad. Perhaps somebody will find it helpful.

" I have a great passion for electronic music, and have long found inspiration in the electronic musicians of Japan. The Japanese electronic music scene is lively and original, and if I go to Japan, I hope to meet and possibly work with Japanese electronic musicians. International collaboration can produce unique and interesting music that is a fusion of multiple cultures. Music is one thing that all cultures have in common, and can act as a wonderful bridge for communication."
    I saw Squarepusher & Luke Vibert in Tokyo in 2004. Unbelievable. Flew from Fukuoka on my own just for that gig.

Quote Originally Posted by armchairpatriot View Post
    Ohai. Leaving this to the last minute this time!
    Any views on mentioning reasons for putting no-preference rural/suburban placement choices in the SOP? Something like a wordier version of "You don't really experience a country in it's big cities because those are the face it puts on for tourists". Or would I just sound like some city-hating country boy that don't like none of them new fangled electric loights?
    Not being snooty, but make sure you triple-check mistakes such as this. Nasty grammar errors won't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by lemsip View Post
    Not being snooty, but make sure you triple-check mistakes such as this. Nasty grammar errors won't look good.
    This is popular canary-grooming school ithinkimlost.com, not his SOP. Your first sentence is a fragment, by the way. Make sure you triple-check mistakes such as this.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoo View Post
    This is popular canary-grooming school ithinkimlost.com, not his SOP. Your first sentence is a fragment, by the way. Make sure you triple-check mistakes such as this.
    Thank you! I was beginning to think I had the wrong forum; I came here looking for advice about my canary, Reginald, who seems to be displaying Serious Ornitho-Pleurisy. Poor little blighter seems to be coughing and wheezing a fair bit, and I fear it might give his jolly chirp a raspy edge. This will simply not do.

Default Re: Post your SOPs here:

You just gotta play around with the serifs. Some serifs at 12 work as well as another seif using 11. Its all about the kerning/tracking and stuff.

Print out your SOP in several fonts and sizes and see what works and what isn't as "noticeable" (ie Georgia 11 is the same as Times Roman 12 but Times Roman 11 is smaller than Georgia 12, so its more noticeable).
    Last edited by Merkypie; November 24th, 2011 at 08:01.

Thought it had to be 12?
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Times 12 is a standard. That's what I was talking about above, Arial 12 is not the same as Times Roman 12 which isn't the same as Georgia 12. Kerning/Tracking affects fonts in various way that the size can not be a standard, which gives people wiggle room when the font face is not set.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    You just gotta play around with the serifs. Some serifs at 12 work as well as another seif using 11. Its all about the kerning/tracking and stuff.
    I see what you mean now but at first glance people might think you are saying they can use 11 for the application. Though I suppose if they were to take their competition's advice over the JET instructions, they probably won't make it very far anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

You do realise -- they won't be getting rulers out and measuring the font size...

Quote Originally Posted by hunterofpeace View Post
    I see what you mean now but at first glance people might think you are saying they can use 11 for the application. Though I suppose if they were to take their competition's advice over the JET instructions, they probably won't make it very far anyway...
    If someone was asking for help on a JET forum from fellow potential applicants, I doubt they would be expecting them to dick them over. Which is why I said to print out the SOP in various font sizes and see what works for them and what isn't glaringly obvious it isn't something that resembles a "12pt font".

Quote Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
    You do realise -- they won't be getting rulers out and measuring the font size...
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    Whether or not they care is a different story.
    I would.

Georgia at 11 is safe. Don't screw with anything smaller.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; November 24th, 2011 at 22:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I wrote my SOP in Papyrus, 36-pt.

Quote Originally Posted by agrilledfish View Post
    I wrote my SOP in Papyrus, 36-pt.
    You only made it through because of Avatar.

And because the JET site uses it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Use Ravie. Or Jokerman.

You all have me worried about this now, I just typed mine and printed it! The only thing I made sure of was double spacing and under 2 pages, no idea what size/type the font is.

Sure they'll be too busy laughing/crying at the depth of emotion in my essay to even notice it.... they'll need the extra copies as the others will be covered in tears!

Japan here I come!

Should have been "12 font". Type doesn't seem to matter.
    いいみで