Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK JETs - Did you demonstrate a lesson in the interview?

Default UK JETs - Did you demonstrate a lesson in the interview?

I've read a few people mentioning that in the interview they were asked to act as a teacher in the lesson while the interviewers acted as students. But I was under the impression that this was something that the US did in their JET interviews, and the UK didn't. Is this correct?

Pandilex

Who knows. Be prepared for anything. I'll definately be preparing for this, as well as anything else I can find on this website and other websites.

I'm hoping they don't - I've never taught before and it seems pretty difficult to know how to start or what to do when you haven't. Plus it is difficult to know what is appropriate for the "class" you're teaching .

When I had the interview I didn't have to do anything like that neither has anyone from the UK I have spoken to, although I don't want to say you won't have to only for them to spring one on you.

In the interview I had there were two interviewers, a former JET and a Japanese guy who worked at some uni. They were both really friendly and made me feel pretty comfortable, the hardest things they asked were about British culture, stuff like what books would I suggest the students read to find out about England and which TV Programs/Films I also felt were relevant. Also the obvious stuff like how I was going to adjust to living abroad, why Japan, why JET and other stuff like that.

The harshest question I have heard of was asked to a History graduate, and was if you could take your students on a field trip to 3 different places anywhere and anytime in history where would it be to teach them about England.

The most important thing is to be confident, speak clearly and just give the impression you aren't going to run at the first problem, or freak out and drop out at the airport or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Blafweight
    When I had the interview I didn't have to do anything like that neither has anyone from the UK I have spoken to, although I don't want to say you won't have to only for them to spring one on you.
    Yeah, that's cool. I just want to get an idea if it has been done before, from what I've read I've never seen anyone from the UK say they were asked to do it.

Thanks for the other advice, I'll no doubt be asking loads of questions if I get an interview .

I didn `t have anything like that either.
    I was basically asked why I wanted to go, what I had to offer, what I would do if I had cheeky stuents, what I anticipate to be the hardest aspects of living and teaching in Japan and how I might get round them, and then
    "name and describe 3 famous Japanese."
    "If you could take any 3 people from the present or the past to represent Britain, who would they be and why?"
    Ah it all seems like yesterday!
    I also had to do a small written test...mainly simple grammar like "where does the apostrophe go?" or "which is the correct spelling of...." How would you explain the word ...." etc etc.
    Also there is a little test on British and Japanese culture, i.e, name the leader of the conservative party, who is 4th in line to the throne, name a famous japanese director, spot the company which isn`t japanese, give three British videos you would take to help explain about your country and give reasons, name an ancient capital of Japan, stuff like that.

no mock class in my ineterview. they were pressed for time so mine was shorter then most. they asked me about why I had chosen Kyushu, then we chatted about my Karate. they were a lovely Japanese lady and an American. both were very friendly and the interview was more like an informal chat.

if you go in with an open mind, and are able to hold you opinions and back them up with relevant arguments then you'll do fine. Showing you're a strong character means you'll cope better wiht the isolation you may get in Japan and thus are more employables.

DON'T SWEAT IT.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

I stupidly mentioned that I like to use drama techniques in class, so they asked me to demonstrate that! God, it was so awful.

Oh, and I had a good cop-bad cop team in my interview, so watch out for that!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

No lesson demo, but watch out for the dude that shows you round the embassy, I swear he reports back to the interviewers.

My interview was really nice, fairly informal but as I have said before on this site, I have lived abroad for fairly long time and this is what got me my job, not my mediocre degree, they had something to talk to me about so they did.

a buddy of mine did JET 2 years before I started and he said that his interviewers were pricks so be warned.

That said, it seems to be a lot easier to get on JET from the UK than it is from the States, less competition etc.

I wouldn't say that getting into JET via the UK is a harder or easier experience just because there are less people applying in the UK than in America.

Just so you know, there are far far far more Americans than British on the JET program, implying that allocation and acceptance are based upon comparative geography and population levels. This would lend me to think that if we took the number of applicants each year and the number of accepted people, we would see a nationality ratio that reflected the population of the countries that participate in JET.

In essence, there should be no difference if you come from one country or another.

Anyhoo...

My interview was in London. I had a lot of fun with it, as I rightly figured that they would try to ask me tricky questions so as to better see how I could cope in situations where there was no clear answer. The hardest bit I had to do was to name five things off the top of my head that I could talk about to a Mayor that promoted British culture whilst still retaining to my University qualification (English degree).

After listing off the five, the interview picked one, and we had a conversation about it. Given that it was all off the top of my head, we ended up talking about the growth of the arts, and the differences between the current system of patronage and the seventeenth century patron system - saying that while sponsorship is still ongoing, it is more local/community based, and not as iconic as in earlier times.

In the end, as long as you remain flexible and willing to engage in conversation, you will make a positive impression.

C.

I agree in principle however it seems in my experience that the Americans that I associate with here had a much harder time getting on the programme than I or my peers from the UK did.

They seemed to recruit directly from Universities, I have no idea if they do that in the UK, I graduated years ago and there wasn't a big JET recruitment drive at my Uni.

There seemed to be a lot of competition for comparatively few places as regional populations do not equate with the number of bright young things wanting the gig. (Cambridge Mass. for example).

One of the brightest, most qualified people, with one of the most relevant degrees that I know here got on the programme late as a replacement, she is an American, yet I, with my 2:2 from Exeter, didn't have any problems. I apreciate that I have other skills and experience that qualifies me for doing this job. However I never really felt the pressure that colleagues from other countries seem to have faced.

I appreciate that it shouldn't make a difference, but I am fairly convinced that it does.

yabighoor

My interview did ask about how i would teach to children, specifically the 6 nations. It was fine. They`re not going to quiz you about stuff that you havn`t put in your application so....DON`T EMBELLISH!!!!

It`s all common sense in the end.

We can beg to differ then.

True, some places may have harder interviewer questions (especially so in America, purely because there are more embassies to be interviewed at, and therefore more interviewers), but using that as a judgement as to what country is easier to get into JET under is doing so without knowing the full criteria that they are looking for in a JET applicant. Both you and I are unaware of the systems that they use. (For example, your citing of Cambridge Mass. and it's applicant to accepted ratio intrigues me - is this based off of statistical evidence, or is it an opinion? Also, does this tie in with whatever position/number allocation has been given to that area?)

You are also mistaking actual degree qualification with entitlement to participate in the program. The reason you need a degree is because that is a requirement to work in Japan.

In the end, some people get on the program, and some people don't. While I would like to think that there is a fair and just method to their selection/allocation, I would much rather say that we don't know the how or the why of it, instead of saying that one country is easier than the other, because that just creates the idea of bias and furthers our own unfounded opinions.

*apologies to the others for the derailment*

Cambridge Mass or Cambridge UK for that matter are both places where there is a significant proportion of bright people is all I meant. Bad example possibly but because I didn't apply direct from university I never felt the pressure of competition and I know for a fact that others definately did, and those people that I have met that expressed that feeling of competition to me were all non UK participants.

The only examples of people having to do a mock lesson that I have heard of were a bit more specific than `teach us something`. For example, someone had mentioned that to get children involved in English they would sing a song. So the answer to that was `oh, really? Go on then, give it a whirl` (well, not word for word obviously). So the interviewee did an example song. So if you wrote on your application that to encourage kids you would sing, it might be a good idea to prepare for the fact that they might ask you about it.
    However, as far as I can tell the aim of the interview is to see how you react in unknown situations, so no matter how much you prepare they may still come up with something you haven`t thought about. I totally stressed about similar things when I was applying and now with the gift of retrospect I would say, be yourself and try to relax. Be confident that you have got what they are looking for (obviously you think this otherwise you wouldn`t be applying) and this will show in your manner and answers.

Sorry, I neglected to sign in before I posted the above post. My bad.

I had my interview in Edinburgh and we were given a short test while we waited. Well, it was 3 tests really. A few questions on British culture, Japanese culture and the English language.

I have heard that Americans didnt have these tests before.

Anyway. If you know anything about Japan then you will do well in the tests as it was pretty basic.
    The guy before me answered the "Name a Japanese author" question with Sun Tsu so it was no surprise to me that he didnt get on.

yabighoor and i know someone who, when asked to name some Japanese people that he admired, said Jet Li. And he's out here. And hopefully not reading (Higordonhowsitgoing?) So dont worry too much about that. In the British knowledge quiz i couldnt remember the Patron Saint of Wales... i'm going to claim that was nerves....

And nope, I didn't have a teaching demo/acting bit in my interview either. In fact the only thing that they asked me in relation to teaching was how I would stop myself from smashing my face in with a brick if i had to give a self intro lesson 40 times... ok embellishing there but only slightly.
    I have finesse!

I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

VIP

Yeah, no teaching demo for me either.

Matt

PS. And I calculate that I've done my self-intro 40-50 times already, with no end in sight. Strangely, its not as bad as it sounds, and actually takes away the pressure to prepare something new!
    Mabushiii!!!

hmmmm dont really remember the interview, due to the amazingly shit british public transport system the only train I could get arrived at edinburgh 4 hours before the interview - I was very nervous so I went to the nearest bar for some lunch and some dutch courage.......... long story short If a drunken twat like me can get on JET any loser can so dont worry about the interview
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.