Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK JETs - Did you demonstrate a lesson in the interview?

I answered the Japanese author Question with a blank. a blank is better then a wrong answer sometimes.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

With the mock lesson thing...be on your guard. I didn't have to do one in my interview but when I was trying to explain the difference between the House of Commons and the House of Lords...one of the interviewers stopped me mid flow and said "now just imagine that we (the interview panel) are japanese students....explain the difference to us now." I felt like a knob talking in baby sprecht to a middle aged professor and Japanese embassy worker. But I guess if you have a shot/do your best at the questions they fire at you, you'll come out roses.

Gambatte mate
    "I don't want to go to Waitrose, I want a fuck buddy."

I had the small little tests. But considering i wrote the population of japan was about half the population of the world and Im now in Okinawa. I really wouldnt worry.

No mock lesson, but some tricky questions. just tke your time and just be really positive.

Quote Originally Posted by solacegirl
    when I was trying to explain the difference between the House of Commons and the House of Lords...one of the interviewers stopped me mid flow and said "now just imagine that we (the interview panel) are japanese students....explain the difference to us now."
    I got that one too!! Nightmare, but I laugh about it now... I guess my explanation was ok!!!

I didn't have a demo lesson as such. But I did have to make up a lesson plan on the spot and then discuss it with the panel. This then led to a discussion on student motivation and the perceived differences between Japanese and British students.
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

I had the good cop - bad cop routine in Edinburgh. I think they were just checking how I responded to presure as it was only one question. T

Heres the long (boring) story:
    hey had asked me IF I would correct a teachers mistake. (I replyed yes, but away from the students to save face) and the consul jumped in with "Do you think its your job to do that?" I replyed yes (instinctivly) and then (luckily) remembered that the JET contract description includes teaching teachers...

About numbers etc - JET in the UK tries to keep it secret. I was told by someone who was resposable for getting people through the airport check in and Tokyo (dis)orientation. That in 2004 the UK had 500 places allocated to it - they decided to only take 480-ish because the rest of the applicants wern't up to scratch. Obviously I can't verify this. I don't know if it means anything really - apart from they don't feel the presure to take _anyone_ (as if we didn't know that already). I don't know how many applicantslaces they get.

I can't remember where but one of the official organisations involved in the scheme post the numbers up on their site. I have also heard from several sources that in the UK around 500 were placed last year from around 1000 applicants.

> Given that it was all off the top of my head, we ended up
    > talking about the growth of the arts, and the differences
    > between the current system of patronage and the
    > seventeenth century patron system

YIKES! Now I'm scared.

Quote Originally Posted by ENAY
    > Given that it was all off the top of my head, we ended up
    > talking about the growth of the arts, and the differences
    > between the current system of patronage and the
    > seventeenth century patron system

YIKES! Now I'm scared.
    Don't be. I talked bollocks and he knew it. The key thing I had to do was not freeze up.

Remember, this interview is where they will judge you on how well you will cope in a new environment. If you do get a tricky question, just remember that the words that you say may very well be irrelevant - what is important to them is your willingness to engage, and your willingness to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius
    The key thing I had to do was not freeze up.

Remember, this interview is where they will judge you on how well you will cope in a new environment. If you do get a tricky question, just remember that the words that you say may very well be irrelevant - what is important to them is your willingness to engage, and your willingness to listen.
    I agree. They already have all your work and academic records before you go in, as well as your references.

The job is not tough here at all when you consider the pay and the way they (are supposed to) look after you.
    They know that most people can do the job. If you get to the interview then they already know you are of a good enough educational background and will already have been informed by your personal statement of your overseas experiences.
    In the interview they want to see that you know what you are getting into and that you would cope with the change and likely stay on.

JET wants ALTs to recontract because it is costly and time consuming and less productive for the schools to replace an ALT on a yearly basis.

This is the simplist job on earth, and seeing as they hire 1 in 2 applicants (according to the dodgy statistics quoted on this site) I wouldnt worry too much about the interview. If you cant manage to get on JET you should just face up to the fact that the rest of your adult life will be based around the phrase "would you like fries with that?"
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

i wasnt asked to pretend that the interviewers were students, but i was asked to plan a lesson on a topic they gave me (christmas if i remember correctly) and discuss what i would do in a lesson. i asked for more details on what type of students etc and i dont think my answer was great, but im here now so dont worry!
    my interview was in london btw.

Forgotten my login details :?: , so sorry! Anyway, I applied from the UK as a CIR, and looking at your questions, I think I actually may have had the easier deal! The only thing that threw me a bit was when I was asked to explain the differences between the UK countries. Kind of a big topic, and not easy to answer in a minute or so. My friend was asked to explain the difference between the Scottish and British parliament (oh yeah, we both had to do this in Japanese, which may have made it harder), and I think he was a bit stuck. I dont know if these questions come up in ALT interviews, but I suggest that you might want to think of some good things to say incase they do. I actually think that dressing really smartly, sitting up straight etc etc and the little things like that can count a lot in these interviews, especially if there are Japanese people on the panel.