Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BoE subsidy thread - Rent, Transportation, etc.

Default BoE subsidy thread - Rent, Transportation, etc.

I searched, but couldn't find a thread like this, but basically I'd like to know which area's BoE's subsidize what (if any). I understand that placement requests are a drop in the ocean when it comes to JET, but it'd be nice to know which area is cheaper to live in (for instance in Kanto - Saitama > Yokohama, or so i hear)

So far from the Chiba JETs forum i gather that Prefectural JETs seem to get 50% Rent subsidized.

If this info is readily out there please point me in the right direction, if not just post which area/BoE you are with and how much subsidy you receive. Also if post if your particular school subsidizes, but your BoE does not.

thanks.
    Last edited by TheDoctor; October 23rd, 2009 at 08:49.
    Huge Omedetous.

Default Re: BoE subsidy thread - Rent, Transportation, etc.

It's pretty random really, some people have high rent and they are fairly inaka (although as a result they have decently sized houses rather than tiny apartments), and as a rule of thumb, the more rural you are, the cheaper the rent (makes sense, i know). Oh and i see you are comparing prices to Yokohama; forget about it. I think the most urban location on JET is Osaka, but theres other places just all over. Usually these are the ones with the highest rent. Subsidies also depend on each board of education, not limited to prefecture only, so it's just really random. For my situation, I know that Ishikawa in general does subsidies, but we have unsually high start-up costs (you'd need to bring ABOVE the suggested 200k yen, 200k might be your downpayment for your apartment alone that youd be paying the day you land in the prefecture), plus rent is rather high for such a rural prefecture.

I think there are less than 10 JETs in Kanagawa and 0 in Yokohama city limits.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Urban location doesn't mean higher rent.

Not even the Hyogo BoE is consistant... You could have a house, big apartment, or a closet.... ranging from free-$600 (sometimes subsidized, sometimes not). I'm urban and my rent is pretty cheap ($250/month subsidized). I don't know of any JETs in this prefecture (definitely not my city) who had to pay key money.
    Last edited by JackAttack; October 23rd, 2009 at 09:37.

Good ol' ESID, basically, all you should expect from this thread is peoples personal experience and maybe a little bit of info regarding their own prefecture.

Deleted

Okinawa - nil, nada, nein, nothing at all. No subsidies of any shape or form. It's the poorest prefecture. Hottest. But poorest. Everything costs more than mainland Japan unless you can hook up with someone on base.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Good ol' ESID, basically, all you should expect from this thread is peoples personal experience and maybe a little bit of info regarding their own prefecture.
    so its different for every ALT in a specific prefecture/city even? damn this ESID...the inconsistency is staggering lol.
    Huge Omedetous.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Mie ken, Inaka. Rent is 6man (600 USD) no subsidies.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

FiercestCalm

Shiga-ken, city hired - my rent is 67,500 and I get a 30,000 subsidy every month. Every city hire gets the same subsidy, but our rents all vary.

I get about half off my rent, but I'm a city JET. All the high schoolers I know get stuck with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinmei2006 View Post
    so its different for every ALT in a specific prefecture/city even? damn this ESID...the inconsistency is staggering lol.
    Well yea

Basically you're going to get 270,000 yen every month to spend. Subsidies are completely different all over the place.

But if you wanted to game it you could count on the laws of economics and assume that the richer the placement is the more subsidies will be available to you. It may not work out though
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Even if a place is richer, it will depend on how much of that money is actually budgeted towards helping the JETs out... and this kind of info is difficult to get a hold of (unless you're a PA maybe haha), so yeah, definitely hard to pick a location based on what subsidy you get. Thinking about subsidies should really be at the bottom of your worries in regards to placement. Heck, even initial costs would rank higher (key moneys, deposits, etc).

Hyogo-ken, urban. No subsidies, but I live in teacher housing so my rent is really cheap to begin with. No key money.

I don't think "schools" ever subsidize anything. It should be your BOE.

In my case, I'm in semi-rural Chiba and have 5man/month rent for an enormous apartment and half of that is subsidized. I also get 4,000 a month for transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Even if a place is richer, it will depend on how much of that money is actually budgeted towards helping the JETs out... and this kind of info is difficult to get a hold of (unless you're a PA maybe haha), so yeah, definitely hard to pick a location based on what subsidy you get. Thinking about subsidies should really be at the bottom of your worries in regards to placement. Heck, even initial costs would rank higher (key moneys, deposits, etc).

I wouldnt mind knowing about initial costs, as thats what im most worried about if im lucky enough to get shortlisted.

Sometimes ESID is a cop out, sometimes its not. In this case it's not.

It's hard to say because a lot of JETs are municipal and between municipalities it's obviously going to be different. My city subsidised everything and were generally good people, the city next to me the complete opposite, but same prefecture, same region even.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Subsidising rent is a bonus, but if you don't get anything, you'll still make a good living.When I was a JET in Yamagata I lived in a house that was completely paid for by the BOE, and then went prefectural in my 3rd year in an expensive shoebox paid for entirely by me and still saved money.

I would be more worried about deposits and 'key' money. I was so skint and in debt with maxed overdraft and credit cards on arrival that I only had 100,000 yen (begged and borrowed from family) and simply wouldn't have been able to come if I had to pay any extras.

Interestingly my current apartment just across the river from Maebashi City is only a couple of man a month more than my post-JET apartment in Sendai, despite being 3x the size and much closer to Tokyo. It's so hard to generalise.
    Last edited by turbotgenki; October 25th, 2009 at 21:49.

i should be good on the savings if nothing major happens by July 2010, but i think the key money and stuff would fall under this thread as well right? Some BoEs subsidize it and other don't? lots of ESID or YMMV or OMGWTFBBQ?

also whats the difference between you being a Yamagata ALT and a prefectural ALT? Do you have different BoEs for a city placement and prefecture placement (im assuming from your post that this is the case)
    Huge Omedetous.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinmei2006 View Post
    also whats the difference between you being a Yamagata ALT and a prefectural ALT? Do you have different BoEs for a city placement and prefecture placement (im assuming from your post that this is the case)
    [

This has probably been gone over before but my experience:

I worked for a municipal BOE in junior high schools in Yamagata Prefecture my first two years, but I needed teaching experience in the 16-18 age group for teaching credits back in the UK, so after a lot of huffing and puffing I stopped working for a municipal BOE (which was very hands on in terms of ALT management) and started working for the Yamagata prefectural office, which oversaw high schools and really didn't care too much if we were alive or dead. I believe most prefectures are organised this way. Some municipal BOEs, like Sendai City for example, have a handful of high schools assigned to them for historical reasons, but in the main state-funded post-compulsory education in Japan is governed by prefectures. I much preferred working for the prefecture despite the lack of subsidies but it fitted better with my career path, so that probably had a lot to do with feeling happier. Other prefectural JETs wished they had been municipal so they could be 'looked after' rather than being left alone.
    Last edited by turbotgenki; October 26th, 2009 at 07:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Mie ken, Inaka. Rent is 6man (600 USD) no subsidies.
    Ditto. Talk about highway robbery.