Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: English English or American English?

I say old chap I have no idea what these savages from the colonies are talking about. Cold steel, thats the only thing these fuzzywuzzys understand!
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by socalDave
    Exactly Dob~
    Actually, I always say that I speak American 'cause I don't like to have to specify which English accent I speak (mainly to non-native English speakers) just like I'd describe England-born folk as speaking Brittish. Saying American specifies it and even if it's not entirely corrent to say it, everyone gets it. If I didn't put any of the colloquial Californian slang in what I write, you probably wouldn't be able to tell that I speak American rather than Brittish (at least from what I've seen the Brits write). It's still English no matter what. It's just a clarification and it doesn't matter, unless you've got a chip on your shoulder (any you can have one no matter what country your pride reflects).
    Besides, we've clearly got the cooler slang... Take dat shit a'ight, mutha fukka~
    It's BRITISH, Dave.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Meh~

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

Just don't ask me to use the word "Wot" in a sentence.
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Quote Originally Posted by socalDave
    Exactly Dob~
    Actually, I always say that I speak American 'cause I don't like to have to specify which English accent I speak (mainly to non-native English speakers) just like I'd describe England-born folk as speaking Brittish. Saying American specifies it and even if it's not entirely corrent to say it, everyone gets it. If I didn't put any of the colloquial Californian slang in what I write, you probably wouldn't be able to tell that I speak American rather than Brittish (at least from what I've seen the Brits write). It's still English no matter what. It's just a clarification and it doesn't matter, unless you've got a chip on your shoulder (any you can have one no matter what country your pride reflects).
    Besides, we've clearly got the cooler slang... Take dat shit a'ight, mutha fukka~
    It's BRITISH, Dave.
    It's ENGLISH. I'm from England!

I don't like it when Americans catagorise us all as being British! Dunno why, just winds me up =)

Maybe because most Americans I spoke to replied "huh, Britain and England are not the same thing?"

And yes I do think it should be called American, Australian etc.

Or call it American-English and Australian-English with emphasis that just plain English is only spoken in England. Although we don't have an official language ('official'), all of the other countries have their own such as welsh, gaelic etc. despite them not being the most popular any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    I don't like it when Americans catagorise us all as being British! Dunno why, just winds me up =)
    Maybe because that's your official country? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, anyone?

EDIT: I don't see what all the fuss is about; we do actually speak the same language here. No, seriously, we do. Apart from the Scousers.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Yeah, but I reckon we can milk it for another 30 posts or so. For my part, I'll repeat some portion of the tiresomely liberal "everyone is right" argument and some portion of the tiresomely nationalist "Ha! My language is the best because..." and hopefully achieve some kind of composite where I actually say nothing whatsoever but appear learned.

That's 'cause you're a fag, fag.

I choose to comunicate through a series of grunts. All you fags that use english, american, japanese ect are all college boy wankers and I'd insult you somemore if I had the vocabulary.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I speak pub talk or punglish as it is also known.

A rich language based around insults, innuendo, metaphor and excessive ale consumption.

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

Quote Originally Posted by nicklad
    I speak pub talk or punglish as it is also known.

A rich language based around insults, innuendo, metaphor and excessive ale consumption.
    OOOooohhhh, Punglish! Yeah, man, it's the modern-day esperanto. 8)
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    Maybe because that's your official country? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, anyone?

EDIT: I don't see what all the fuss is about; we do actually speak the same language here. No, seriously, we do. Apart from the Scousers.
    Canadians will now be referred to as Americans then, since they're from America.

no, they're Canadians. where as we are British. I am from England, but my nationality is British.

the only people I have met who have a problem with this are those from Wales, a principality.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com