Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The waiting game...

Default The waiting game...

Hi all

I'm a 2005 applicant from Bristol in the Uk, one of these fresh-out-of-college types that I seem to keep hearing about, heh.
    So, first, just hi and good luck and all that stuff to everyone.

Second, I was wondering if I could get some existing JETs, esp those in the uk (as the particulars of applying seem to vary from country to country) as to how long I might be hanging around before I get a nice letter confirming or denying me an interview?
    To be honest the whole thing seems a bit nightmarish, and I'm scurrying around trying to work out some kind of backup plan - but some inkling of whether I should still be swotting up for the interview by christmas if i haven't heard would be great.

Cheers guys

My plan is not to do any large amount of research or reading unless I get a letter. I have so much uni work on between now and April that I can't really afford to spend time doing other things unecessarily.

Whether that's a good plan or not I don't know. I would be interested in hearing when people got their interview letters and how much time they had between receiving the letter and the interview.

Well it seems like we're all playing the waiting game now. All we've got to do now is sit and wait. Good luck everyone.

Hey, UK Jet here, from Gloucestershire (yes they let even US on it)!

ah yes yes *Smiles and nods* the waiting game, we all so enjoyed that. you'll be doing a lot of waiting with JET. so much that infact when you tell them that you want to look for backups they send a secret letters telling you to wait, so I heard anyway.

um...I had my interveiw before xmas infact it was the 16/12/03, so almost a year ago, wow that's a long time. it can be anywhere up to feb to be interviewed. the problem is that current JET's have until Feb to decided if they are staying or not, so positions that are free aren't known until then.

I think it is very likely that you will get an interveiw, I don't think they weed out many applications at this stage. it doesn't hurt to have a backup, BUT it does mean you still have to wait until april before u know if you're coming or not. so it may be hard to accept a job.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Ah that's interesting - I thought the interviews didn't start until Jan/Feb, here's what it says on the site anyways:

January and February :
    London Interviews for ALTs. (An additional date may be scheduled for December, however this can not be guaranteed)
    Edinburgh interviews for ALTs.
    I assume they won't have interviews in Dec this year, especially as they've now extended the application deadline until Dec 3rd.

Just be aware that should you get the interview, thats when the real waiting begins.

If I remember correctly, I was interviewed in December, and was told that I had a 3-4 month wait for official notification.

One other thing to note, should you get through the interview stage, things will become... ...a little fuzzy. In essence, the interview stage recommends you for the position (with approval to be given by Tokyo). Once that happens, and once the recontracting process is over, the powers that be will know how many spaces they have to fill, and begin to do so from the current crop of applicants.

In essence, you wait for a long time for the interview result, then should you get through, you have a nerve-wracking wait where you become deathly afraid that by the time they come to you they will have already filled all the empty spaces.*

*Note: From what I heard, all the above malarky after getting through the interview is just that - malarky. If you pass the interview, you are in - it's just that rather than handshake the deal then, there are a myriad of little things that have to be done, and since your actual contract of employment is not with the Embassy or Clair, you basically have to wait until the right form is sent to you in the post before it all becomes official official. That takes time.

yabighoor

Also beware UK folk, last year JET decided to send out little letters about a month after the interview which basically said that based on your results you would normally be offered a place on the programme but don`t tell any of your friends as we might not let you in.

That was not appreciated! 2 months later a letter arrived with the almighty yes enclosed. but it was still another 3 months before i found out where i was going, actually i think 3 weeks before i knew exactly.

It`s a very long waiting game.

And, just a word of advice; these forums make it worse as some people get letters before other people and you become a rack of nerves whilst waiting for yours. I@d leave now while you still have the chance!!!!!!

yabi....shhh. we may get caught if we talk about the 'secret letter' we all know that Japan is a big brother society.
    www.oitajets.com

Quote Originally Posted by yabighoor
    And, just a word of advice; these forums make it worse as some people get letters before other people and you become a rack of nerves whilst waiting for yours. I@d leave now while you still have the chance!!!!!!
    Sage advice! Get on with your life - you'll be waiting for ages and ages.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I was interviewed on December the 19th 2003 and I was offered the job on Good Friday which if I remember rightly was towards the end of April.
    In fact I went to Lakota that very night...

It is a long wait, it is also agonising if you put all your stock in getting the gig as well, not everyone gets JET but there are a variety of ways of getting to Japan, pretty much anyone with a degree that wants to come here can.

Also, as a word of caution, this place isn't so bad but stay away from Big Daikon like the plague until you get here. It is a very amusing website but it really isn't for newcomers and potentials.

East Sussex birds here...My sister and I had our interviews on the same day in early January. We didn't know for definite that we got on JET until mid-April. You might hear before then you might hear after. It really is impossible to tell from the interview (mmm Karen Roper...Stuart Foot!) but the period between the interview and April is pretty gay. Just keep yourself busy, go out and get drunk, do your finals, get married ...anything! Just to keep your mind orf it cos trust me, you'll wonder about it every day it'll drive you bananas!!
    "I don't want to go to Waitrose, I want a fuck buddy."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Sage advice! Get on with your life
    Says the guy with over 1600 posts

In a Peter Griffin (of Family Guy) laugh, "hehehehehehehehehehehehehe"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Sage advice! Get on with your life
    Says the guy with over 1600 posts
    Do what I say, not what I do!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Also beware UK folk, last year JET decided to send out little letters about a month after the interview which basically said that based on your results you would normally be offered a place on the programme but don`t tell any of your friends as we might not let you in.
    Yeah, what was the point of those letters?

Also, my interview in Edinburgh was late January. I had my interview on the first day they started the interviews in Edinburgh (24th I think it was).

I was told exactly where I was going about 1 week before I left for Japan. Since then I have learned that certain prefectures are slower than others and that Shizuoka is the slowest of the lot.

I had my interview in January on the date of a very important uni deadline and only found out about it about 3 days before it happened. if you want to leave swotting up until you know you have an interview you may not necessarily be left with time to do anything. Then again they may tell yo well in advance.

My interview was 10th of March. I got the letter telling me that I had got to the interview stage on the 3rd of March.

Incidentally, does anybody know who first coined the phrase 'The waiting game'? It's a pretty common happenstance of words.

Good luck.

Oh, and I second the 'don't spend every waking hour on a forum for a job in which your acceptance is pretty much a lottery' motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ger
    I had my interview in January on the date of a very important uni deadline and only found out about it about 3 days before it happened. if you want to leave swotting up until you know you have an interview you may not necessarily be left with time to do anything. Then again they may tell yo well in advance.
    That's harsh! They say on the site that they positively *will not* re-arrange an interview which sounds really crap. I have 3 exams in early January and should it clash with them I am buggered.

indeed it is, but they have to get through thousands of interveiws so they can't rearange one for someone because they can always find someone else. thus the short notice.
    www.oitajets.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shotokai
    indeed it is, but they have to get through thousands of interveiws so they can't rearange one for someone because they can always find someone else. thus the short notice.
    Well if they do clash and they won't budge then balls to 'em.

Default Waiting

Some interviews don't happen till march?

And my nerves are already beggining to shake here at the start of december.
    I too have exams in january, anything else I can find a way around. Going back home to London (from Bristol) over the christmas holidays makes it easier to get to the embassy if I need to then...

What method are we notified by? Is it a letter delivered to one of the addreses we put on the application form, are we called by telephone too? E-mail?