Thread: Bringing my boyfriend . . .

Default Bringing my boyfriend . . .

I am planning to go to japan through the JET program for the 2006-2007 year (if I get accepted, that is! ^^) and I am also planning to bring my boyfriend with me. I just have a few questions regarding that subject.

I've heard from some people that in smaller villages and towns (as well as the BOE) it is sort of looked down upon for a girl and a guy to share living arrangments, is that true, and is it a big problem?

He lives in the US (Kentucky) so does any one know how long it would take for him to get a visa (since he is planning to stay with me for the entire year) and how difficult would it be for him to obtain one?

Looking at the 2005 application, I know they mentioned something about letting JET know whether I am planning to bring someone or not. Does this have any bearing upon the application process? And how much difference will living arrangements be whether I let them know I am bringing my boyfriend or not? (Since we are both quite accustomed to living in small spaces).

Well, that seems to be it for now!
    Thanks in advance for all the help!

This question really belongs in the 2005 applications forum, but I'm sure it'll get moved there soon!

As for some actual advice, you can state on your form that you're engaged (or lie about it) but if he isn't applying for JET and you're not actually married, I don't think they'll be of any help.

What's he planning to do in Japan for a year? There are lots of language schools if you end up in or near a city so he should have no trouble getting a job (and therefore a visa) with one of them, especially if you got there first to scope out the situation. Of course, it wouldn't be as good as JET but staying here isn't that hard.

Can't help much more than that, I'm afraid, and I'm generally not much use but someone on here should know something.

Good luck!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Thanks you two for the help!

Dob: well he isn't planning to do much, jobs I mean. Basically wants to just experience the culture and stay with me for the time I'm there. I thought maybe there was some way for him to stay there with me without needing to (as some other people have suggested) leaving the country to hong kong or south korea every three months. Is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by aoisakana
    I thought maybe there was some way for him to stay there with me without needing to (as some other people have suggested) leaving the country to hong kong or south korea every three months. Is that possible?
    I don't think that's possible unless he gets a working visa, and for that he'll need an employer to sponsor him. And he'd have to either get the visa before coming to Japan or leave the country once he's there to go to a Japanese embassy abroad. I think he can get a spouse visa if you get married! But I wouldn't get married just for that reason, though!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I have a friend in this pref. (Miyagi), who applied with her boyfriend and she got in and he didn't. So it is completely possible. He's working now and everything is cushty.

He came in on a three month tourist visa when we did and got an ekiewa gig after a month or two.

But then if he is not planning to work he might need to go on holiday every few months. not sure about that one...

Its totally possible though,

Gambatte

England has a connection with Japan which means if ur betwen 20-30 u can get a holiday working visa for a year, without needing sponsorship. It could be the same for Canada

It is the same for Canada... Damn all of you countries with your bloody working holidays~ :cry: It's hard as hell to get a work visa to Japan for us...