Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Kyoto" vs "Kyoto City"; "Fukuoka" vs. "Fukuoka City"?

Default "Kyoto" vs "Kyoto City"; "Fukuoka" vs. "Fukuoka City"?

Hi all:

I'm filling out my application (applying to JET for the first time). I'm the first to admit that I don't know all that much about Japan -- I have taught English before, but never been to Japan -- and doing this application is kind of a crash study course for me. Anyway, I've got some questions that I'm afraid might be a little stupid, but I'm hoping some of you much more knowledgeable people might be willing to fill me in.

Here's my first question: On the "Placement Information" page, when it comes to "prefectures and designated cities," I am not really clear on the distinction between "26: Kyoto" and "53: Kyoto City" -- or, for that matter, between "40: Fukuoka" and "58: Fukuoka City."

Is the "Kyoto City" area a subset of the "Kyoto" area? Or are they two unique areas? And what are these, exactly -- are they each a separate prefecture? (But when I look at a separate list of prefectures, I only see 47, and it doesn't include either of these "cities".)

Most importantly for the application: If I select "26: Kyoto," does that mean that I definitely won't be placed within the bounds of Kyoto City? Or does it mean I might be placed anywhere in the prefecture, including the city?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: "Kyoto" vs "Kyoto City"; "Fukuoka" vs. "Fukuoka City"?

If you want to be in a city you gotta pick the specific city option, otherwise you are requesting the entire prefecture.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

and in the case of kyoto i know people that are 2-3 hours drive from the city. i am even in a different prefecture and my office is just 8 mins from kyoto city. so do some research and you can sometimes find places close to the cities you want to be in. not that they will place you there automatically. but you usually have a better chance than just picking the big city.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Also the cities are what are known as "designated areas" so they are given their own category. For example, in Fukuoka there is Fukuoka City, Fukuoka Prefecture and Kitakyshu City.

The three are pretty much completely separate entities as far as JET is concerned, from an administration point of view, despite all being in Fukuoka prefecture.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Requesting Kyoto-City is probably a waste of your request slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Thank you. All this is very interesting.

Waldroon, why do you say that "requesting Kyoto-City is probably a waste of [my] request slot"? And, if it is, what _would_ you suggest, if I am interested in living in or near Kyoto?

Thanks!

Why Kyoto? Kyoto would be great if there weren't so many tourists but it's like being suffocated there.

Osaka takes JETs and is very close. You could even local train from Hyogo (Kobe for example) or even Okayama is a couple of hours on the local train. Anywhere in Kansai really. Kansai's not that big!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

same with the surrounding prefectures, shiga and fukui are day trip distance from both kyoto and osaka.
    i put kyoto too and was initially disppointed when i got my placement being that i'd never heard of it. i may be in the countryside but i wouldn't change my placement now at all.

FiercestCalm

I would also recommend Shiga... it's a great place to live. From my location I'm about 2 hours from Nagoya, 1 hour 45 mins from Osaka, and 1 hour 15 mins from Kyoto.

Quote Originally Posted by FiercestCalm View Post
    I would also recommend Shiga... it's a great place to live. From my location I'm about 2 hours from Nagoya, 1 hour 45 mins from Osaka, and 1 hour 15 mins from Kyoto.
    yeah Fukui's pretty much the same, not a bad deal for any of us i think

I wouldn't say requesting Kyoto City is a waste. It was my first choice and I practically live less than an hour down the exact train line I used to live on while studying in Kyoto. So there you go.

Thanks, everyone, for the input! This is all new information to me and is very helpful.

Dombay, to answer your question "Why Kyoto?" -- and, by the way, I was just reading your long post on being gay in Japan, and finding it really useful; thank you! -- well, my reasons for picking Kyoto were these:

1. I love history and culture, and all my reading suggests that Kyoto is full of shrines, temples, and historic sites, which makes it seem like a great place to live if you like to spend your days off visiting shrines.

2. I like cities, but I actually prefer smaller, slower-paced cities to bigger, denser, noisier ones. I know Kyoto is big, but it's not as big or crowded as Tokyo and Osaka, is it?

3. I actually do love "countryside," in the sense that I like being surrounded by green space, hills and fields, etc. But I feel that selecting an "urban" preference would be better for me, for two main reasons: first, my Japanese is only at elementary level, so I feel as if being in a very rural area might be more isolating than educational; and second, I'm lesbian/bisexual. Even though I don't plan to make that a huge public deal, I feel like it would probably be easier to find friends and social groups in a more urban environment.

Kyoto's definitely urban, correct? But it also seems to be full of parks and gardens, which would be great, for me, if I'm going to live in a city.

All that said, I am really new to studying Japan and I have no first-hand experience of what life is like "on the ground." So if anyone has recommendations for me about other areas I should look into -- or about what places might be good ideas to put as a preference, and which I'd have a better shot at being placed in than Kyoto City -- I'd really love to hear them.

Thanks again for all the answers and feedback!

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

To address the OP...all Japanese prefectures have a city within them with the same name. So places like Nagasaki are both a prefecture, spanning the entire distance between Saga-Ken and the coast, and cities, taking up only a small part of the overall prefecture. It is the same as in the US there is the state of California as well as California city.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for the input! This is all new information to me and is very helpful.

Dombay, to answer your question "Why Kyoto?" -- and, by the way, I was just reading your long post on being gay in Japan, and finding it really useful; thank you! -- well, my reasons for picking Kyoto were these:

1. I love history and culture, and all my reading suggests that Kyoto is full of shrines, temples, and historic sites, which makes it seem like a great place to live if you like to spend your days off visiting shrines.

2. I like cities, but I actually prefer smaller, slower-paced cities to bigger, denser, noisier ones. I know Kyoto is big, but it's not as big or crowded as Tokyo and Osaka, is it?

3. I actually do love "countryside," in the sense that I like being surrounded by green space, hills and fields, etc. But I feel that selecting an "urban" preference would be better for me, for two main reasons: first, my Japanese is only at elementary level, so I feel as if being in a very rural area might be more isolating than educational; and second, I'm lesbian/bisexual. Even though I don't plan to make that a huge public deal, I feel like it would probably be easier to find friends and social groups in a more urban environment.

Kyoto's definitely urban, correct? But it also seems to be full of parks and gardens, which would be great, for me, if I'm going to live in a city.

All that said, I am really new to studying Japan and I have no first-hand experience of what life is like "on the ground." So if anyone has recommendations for me about other areas I should look into -- or about what places might be good ideas to put as a preference, and which I'd have a better shot at being placed in than Kyoto City -- I'd really love to hear them.

Thanks again for all the answers and feedback!
    Kyoto is one of Japan's biggest cities. You can find parks and greenery anywhere in the country...but I wouldn't go to Kyoto hoping for a nice outdoor life.

You might want to ask for Fukuoka. (Note - NOT Fukuoka city.) Lots of culture, out door activities, and easy access to the rest of Japan.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Fukuoka does not have easy access to the rest of Japan dude. I live there and I pay out my ass to go anywhere. Even going to Hiroshima - less than halfway to Osaka - is almost 10,000 yen one way.

It is a good placement and the JETs here are very cool so I don't want to scare the OP away, but it is tucked away in a far corner of Japan. Best ramen in the world as well as the largest reclining Buddha.

Kyushu is more conservative than other parts of Japan in terms of gender relations so that may be something to consider. Many of my female students don't want to marry Kyushu men because they're supposedly too macho and misogynistic. There is a thriving lesbian community which is somewhat underground but they regularly hang out and have parties and things like that.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    Fukuoka does not have easy access to the rest of Japan dude. I live there and I pay out my ass to go anywhere. Even going to Hiroshima - less than halfway to Osaka - is almost 10,000 yen one way.

It is a good placement and the JETs here are very cool so I don't want to scare the OP away, but it is tucked away in a far corner of Japan. Best ramen in the world as well as the largest reclining Buddha.

Kyushu is more conservative than other parts of Japan in terms of gender relations so that may be something to consider. Many of my female students don't want to marry Kyushu men because they're supposedly too macho and misogynistic. There is a thriving lesbian community which is somewhat underground but they regularly hang out and have parties and things like that.
    1man yen each way IS cheap. I live in a town with an express train stop (kind of) and it still costs me almost 5000 JUST to get to Fukuoka.

Fukuoka has shinkansen stops, and is the gateway between Kyushu and the rest of Japan. Come to kyushu for nature and culture, but got to the rest of Japan for history and different culture...

Also, I think Kyushu is less conservative in how they treat gaijin. I hated living in Tokyo because it seemed like gaijin were kept totally apart from the rest of Japanese society. (note - clubing not included in this statement.) But in Kyushu...everything is more relaxed.

That's apples to oranges, were you studying abroad in Tokyo? That's the nature of a study abroad program. Living in rural Kyushu means you CAN'T just sit around in a bubble of other foreigners because you must interact with Japanese people to get through life.

Kyushu is nice but I'm awfully glad I'm in Fukuoka because the rest is pretty inaccessible and relies on Hakata (Fukuoka City) for transportation links. To the OP, if you want a central location you can't get much less central than the southwest corner of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    That's apples to oranges, were you studying abroad in Tokyo? That's the nature of a study abroad program. Living in rural Kyushu means you CAN'T just sit around in a bubble of other foreigners because you must interact with Japanese people to get through life.

Kyushu is nice but I'm awfully glad I'm in Fukuoka because the rest is pretty inaccessible and relies on Hakata (Fukuoka City) for transportation links. To the OP, if you want a central location you can't get much less central than the southwest corner of the country.
    Which is why I recommended Fukuoka, and not Beppu or Nagasaki, even though they might have more interesting history/culture.

I reommended Fukuoka as a happy medium between Kyuushu (which I love) and the rest of Japan. You can go from Hakata to Tokyo in like 5 hours, and it costs like 2man or so. 3 hours and 1.5 man to Kyoto. I call this easy access.

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    Which is why I recommended Fukuoka, and not Beppu or Nagasaki, even though they might have more interesting history/culture.

I reommended Fukuoka as a happy medium between Kyuushu (which I love) and the rest of Japan. You can go from Hakata to Tokyo in like 5 hours, and it costs like 2man or so. 3 hours and 1.5 man to Kyoto. I call this easy access.

You can fly to Tokyo for 14,000 and take an hour or 2.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

5 hours is easy access? stop trolling
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    You can go from Hakata to Tokyo in like 5 hours, and it costs like 2man or so. 3 hours and 1.5 man to Kyoto. I call this easy access.
    gosh!