Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Kyoto" vs "Kyoto City"; "Fukuoka" vs. "Fukuoka City"?

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Re: "Kyoto" vs "Kyoto City"; "Fukuoka" vs. "Fukuoka City"?

Versus the 18 hour ferry rides some people need....or the 8 hours and 3 train transfers it takes me (who is only one 1 ken away from fukuoka...) yeah, 5 hours seems an easy distance.

To be fair, I'm from a tiny town in Idaho. It is 90 minutes to a mid-size city, and 5 hours to Seattle, so....5 hours doesn't seem like much of a trip to get to a city the size of Tokyo.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

no-one takes the bullet train from Tokyo to Fukuoka unless they have the JR pass, mainly because well, it's (marginally) cheaper to fly and takes less time.

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    1man yen each way IS cheap. I live in a town with an express train stop (kind of) and it still costs me almost 5000 JUST to get to Fukuoka.
    Furthermore you can get packs of tickets to go from Saga < - > Hakata that make it around 900 yen a trip, so I dunno where your pulling this 5000 yen one way thing from.

Hell, Nagasaki < - > Hakata is only 2500 yen one way with a 4 ticket pack.
    Last edited by Tarquin; November 7th, 2009 at 13:31.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by BritishChris View Post
    no-one takes the bullet train from Tokyo to Fukuoka unless they have the JR pass, mainly because well, it's (marginally) cheaper to fly and takes less time.

Furthermore you can get packs of tickets to go from Saga < - > Hakata that make it around 900 yen a trip, so I dunno where your pulling this 5000 yen one way thing from.

Hell, Nagasaki < - > Hakata is only 2500 yen one way with a 4 ticket pack.
    Hakata to Saga station is only like 3 express stops, so it is cheaper and faster. However, I don't live in Saga-city, nor do I live in a city with an express stop....and I am 20 minutes away from a local train station.

Thus, with transfers, waits, extra trains, and the cost of just getting to the station...it costs me at 5000 yen, one way, to get to Hakata.

To address the OP...all Japanese prefectures have a city within them with the same name. So places like Nagasaki are both a prefecture, spanning the entire distance between Saga-Ken and the coast, and cities, taking up only a small part of the overall prefecture. It is the same as in the US there is the state of California as well as California city.
    I appreciate the explanation about Japanese prefectures/cities, but I'm not sure what you mean about California! California's a state, not a city. If you mean there are huge urban areas within it, that's definitely true -- L.A., San Diego, and the Bay Area being the obvious examples -- but as far as I know, there's no such thing as "California City"!

(wikipedia searching) Well, my goodness: thank you, the Internet. "California City" does exist, after all. It's a town "65 miles southwest of Death Valley," with a population of about 12,000 and "one prison... one landowners' resort, one PGA golf course, and one municipal airport."

Anyway, the conclusion is: don't assume that state name = state capital thing holds true for American states. (Actually... is it true for any of them? New York/NYC is the obvious example, but as any New Yorker can tell you, New York City isn't even actually the state capital; that's up north in Albany.)

You might want to ask for Fukuoka. (Note - NOT Fukuoka city.) Lots of culture, out door activities, and easy access to the rest of Japan.
    kalliea, may I ask why you say "NOT Fukuoka City"? (I had been thinking of putting Fukuoka City as a preference.)

(Setting aside the question of "easy access to the rest of Japan," which is apparently under debate. (Seriously, though, I do understand how relevant one's context and background is for all this. I'm sure Kyushu in general feels very isolated to people from cities. And 3 hours seems like a long trip if you're from an urban coastal area! I think many people just don't have a clear idea of how long it takes to get between places in the Midwest...))

Actually yeah, Kall, why did you say specifically the prefecture not the city?
    Fukuoka isn't that big of a prefecture and Fukuoka City is pretty much smack bang in the middle from most of the JET placements (bar like, 2 or 3) and transportation within the prefecture is pretty awesome (again, bar 2 or 3 really rural placements?) so it doesn't REALLY matter, but i'm interested in the reasoning.

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    I appreciate the explanation about Japanese prefectures/cities, but I'm not sure what you mean about California! California's a state, not a city. If you mean there are huge urban areas within it, that's definitely true -- L.A., San Diego, and the Bay Area being the obvious examples -- but as far as I know, there's no such thing as "California City"!

(wikipedia searching) Well, my goodness: thank you, the Internet. "California City" does exist, after all. It's a town "65 miles southwest of Death Valley," with a population of about 12,000 and "one prison... one landowners' resort, one PGA golf course, and one municipal airport."

Anyway, the conclusion is: don't assume that state name = state capital thing holds true for American states. (Actually... is it true for any of them? New York/NYC is the obvious example, but as any New Yorker can tell you, New York City isn't even actually the state capital; that's up north in Albany.)
    The state name = state capital doesen't hold true, nor did I claim it did. I chose California because I knew there was a California City, and I thought it was the most well know. There is also a Montana City in Montana, and an Idaho city in Idaho. Texas City, Vermont City, or the big one..New York city.

I was trying to illustrate that within a larger area of one name, there might be a smaller area with the same name. Japan doesn't have states, it has prefectures, but the comparison still holds true.

Next time, try not to laugh a people who are trying to help you.

Actually yeah, Kall, why did you say specifically the prefecture not the city?
    Fukuoka isn't that big of a prefecture and Fukuoka City is pretty much smack bang in the middle from most of the JET placements (bar like, 2 or 3) and transportation within the prefecture is pretty awesome (again, bar 2 or 3 really rural placements?) so it doesn't REALLY matter, but i'm interested in the reasoning.
    Because....

1. I love history and culture, and all my reading suggests that Kyoto is full of shrines, temples, and historic sites, which makes it seem like a great place to live if you like to spend your days off visiting shrines.

2. I like cities, but I actually prefer smaller, slower-paced cities to bigger, denser, noisier ones.
    There are smaller cities around Fukuoka, and there is lots of unique history and culture sights. It doesn't sound like she would won't to be in Fukuoka proper, but in some of the smaller areas around it.
    Last edited by kalliea; November 10th, 2009 at 07:09.

There are smaller cities around Fukuoka, and there is lots of unique history and culture sights. It doesn't sound like she would won't to be in Fukuoka proper, but in some of the smaller areas around it.
    This is true, but at the same time like I said the prefecture is so small it's easy to go to anywhere there for a day trip.
    Also you seem to have forgotten about Dazaifu? which whilst has its own ALTs is like what, 20 minutes from Tenjin?

Fukuoka doesn't feel like an exceptionally big city, bearing in mind there are only approximately 4 areas (Hakata, Tenjin, Marinoa, Ohori Koen) that are worth visiting/will be frequently visited, plus the atmosphere isn't that of a bustling metropolis like Tokyo etc.

In any case, rosie, no matter if you choose Fukuoka City or Fukuoka Prefecture you'll be happy. I personally prefer to live outside the city, but that's only because I've lived in a big city in Japan before and so living a bit more countryside was appealing. (I'm still only like 1hr from Hakata)

This is true, but at the same time like I said the prefecture is so small it's easy to go to anywhere there for a day trip.
    Also you seem to have forgotten about Dazaifu? which whilst has its own ALTs is like what, 20 minutes from Tenjin?
    I don't really understand this. Are you arguing or agreeing with me? My point was that it was easy to get to bigger places, while living in smaller area that she might prefer.
    Fukuoka doesn't feel like an exceptionally big city, bearing in mind there are only approximately 4 areas (Hakata, Tenjin, Marinoa, Ohori Koen) that are worth visiting/will be frequently visited, plus the atmosphere isn't that of a bustling metropolis like Tokyo etc.
    Fukuoka is the 3 largest city in Japan/way bigger than Kyoto. I grant it doesn't have the same atmosphere of Tokyo, but I think it feels more like a big city than Kyoto...
    In any case, rosie, no matter if you choose Fukuoka City or Fukuoka Prefecture you'll be happy. I personally prefer to live outside the city, but that's only because I've lived in a big city in Japan before and so living a bit more countryside was appealing. (I'm still only like 1hr from Hakata)
    +1

I don't really understand this. Are you arguing or agreeing with me? My point was that it was easy to get to bigger places, while living in smaller area that she might prefer.
    I'm agreeing to an extent, I am however providing a nice rounded picture of the area to aid her decision.

The moral of the story here seems to be "Fukuoka is not Tokyo or Osaka but it's a nice place to live and the non-city area is nice too." If you're placed in Fukuoka Prefecture you shouldn't ever be more than 2 hours away from Fukuoka City.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Fukuoka is the 3 largest city in Japan/way bigger than Kyoto. I grant it doesn't have the same atmosphere of Tokyo, but I think it feels more like a big city than Kyoto...

+1
    Fukuoka is the 8th largest city in Japan with a population lower than Kyoto.

If you want the details it's Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, Kobe, Kyoto, then Fukuoka.

But you were close.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

UPGRADE is right! Fukuoka is actually the 8th largest metro in Japan.

In terms of population, Fukuoka is approximately the same size as Munich, Germany; Brisbane, Australia; or the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas metropolitan area in the United States.
    Fukuoka visitors information

It's also the 16th most livable city in the world! (apparently)
    World's most livable cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post

But you were close.

I don't know if I love you more for this beauty or for "T-Rex girl". Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    UPGRADE is right! Fukuoka is actually the 8th largest metro in Japan.

In terms of population, Fukuoka is approximately the same size as Munich, Germany; Brisbane, Australia; or the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas metropolitan area in the United States.
    Fukuoka visitors information

It's also the 16th most livable city in the world! (apparently)
    World's most livable cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks Hive!

raaaarrrghhh!!!
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

I've heard some say that it's better to not put any preferences whatsoever, thus giving an indication that one is more "up to anything". Is this true at all, or is it better to list some, thus showing a genuine interest?

you can put down preferences sure, they will ask you in the interview why you want to go there, and then the all important question of "how would you feel if you don:t get your choice?" (i.e. "if you dont get tokyo will you drop out and fuck everything up?") in which I said "no I wouldn't mind being somewhere else as long as it was relatively near a big city, and that my preferences were just that.

That being said, I put Osaka / Kobe / Shiga and got Fukuoka.

Quote Originally Posted by Champignon View Post
    I've heard some say that it's better to not put any preferences whatsoever, thus giving an indication that one is more "up to anything". Is this true at all, or is it better to list some, thus showing a genuine interest?
    I don't think it weighs on your application at all.

It seems to be a lottery. I know people desperate for Fukuoka who were placed in the north, and BC and another ALT here both requested non-Fukuoka placements.