Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long hair

Default Long hair

Just wondering if JET would prejudice against guys with long hair.
    I'm thinking of getting mine cut if I got accepted into the scheme but not for the interview. Do you think that would go against me?

Mmm...

I was a long-hair boy. I did the interview, got in, and never had a word spoken to me by the school regarding the hippy look.

That said, I cut my hair a couple of months back, primarily because

a) I look shit with long hair
    b) Japan can get quite hot

So, going from my experience, there was no visible prejudice. I wouldn't think that this is a gospel statement though. Others may have had problems.

I think the key thing though is to be professionally presentable. If you can manage that with long hair, you should be okay.

C.

I cut mine just before coming to Japan just in case (it was short for the interview too) but then regretted it when I got here and saw how many JETs have long hair, piercings, etc. I'm now growing it again and have had no negative comments from the school.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Well that's ok. You know how prejudiced some places are with appearance even though it makes no difference to how you work.

I will probably cut it off if I'm sucessful. I spent a month in South Africa with long hair and I have to admit, it's just a pain when it's always hot and sticky.
    In England it's fine.

Pandilex

bwahaha cut it off like me

Oi Simon Shhhhh

How's your katakana going mate?

Pandilex

I can mysterious read loads now but writing them is more of a challenge. Plus I don't know WHY I can read them, I just kind of "have-a-feeling-this-is-right" and 9 times out of 10 it is!

doo-dee-doo-dee scary stuff...

need to use it a bit more though, been ridiculously busy recently

With the long hair, just make sure that they don't catch you out with the trick Warhammer/Christian rock questions at the interview. They have little genuine interest in gretchin.h

I found a shop here selling Games Workshop stuff. Lots of guys sat around painting, etc.

Oh, the memories...
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

80's soft hair-metal playing in the background? Or was it on of the 'pure' stores, where they play Man O'war to Manowar with rules they complicated themselves so that they can speak like pirates? The funk of adolescent sweat is so deep that a party of 11-year olds disappears in one of the more obscure aisles.

Not that I wargamed.

oh my god....

YOU'RE ALL GEEKS

must get clean must get clean

now come on mr "I've just brought yet another laptop" - people in glasshouses ect.......
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantdosleepflower
    80's soft hair-metal playing in the background?
    What's your definition of soft hair metal? Metal that's not Heavy, Thrash, Death, etc? Just curious. My fave comics & games store plays obscure prog-rock and 70s acid rock, and occasionally classic punk. Yay! No room for wargaming, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrey
    oh my god....

YOU'RE ALL GEEKS
    Well, duh.
    All through the night
    Stray cat is crying, so stray cat sings back

80s soft hair metal = Stan Bush and theme songs on the 1986 Transformer movie soundtrack.

"you've got the touch!"

Quote Originally Posted by IniKamoze
    now come on mr "I've just brought yet another laptop" - people in glasshouses ect.......
    How can I look cool with your knife twisting in my back?

Quote Originally Posted by Cantdosleepflower
    80's soft hair-metal playing in the background? Or was it on of the 'pure' stores, where they play Man O'war to Manowar with rules they complicated themselves so that they can speak like pirates? The funk of adolescent sweat is so deep that a party of 11-year olds disappears in one of the more obscure aisles.

Not that I wargamed.
    No music, but did you know that you regain your virginity every time you go in there? I now have Virginity +5 now thanks to that place. But my CHA is still 18. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by steelqueen

What's your definition of soft hair metal?
    Really, really bad music.

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    but did you know that you regain your virginity every time you go in there? I now have Virginity +5 now thanks to that place.
    Just think of the poor saps in there who never lost theirs. They've gotta be like, uber virgins.

Sorry to jump in on a convo, but it was one of those things that just called to me.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Pandilex

DO NOT DISRESPECT THE WARGAMES!

Attack my little plastic soldiers, attack! Dakka-Dakka... Ooh double 6 now you're going down! Chargggeeeeeee!!!

Awwwwwwwwwww muuuuuuuuum! You stood on fieldmaster sergent of the imperial guard!

We really need a separate 'geeky stuff' forum, don't we? Paul?

quasarsglow, cool avatar! I love Gloomy, he's like the Anti-cute.