Thread: sitting in and sitting on

Default sitting in and sitting on

one of my jtes just asked me why the text talked about sitting IN priority seats when you are technically sitting ON the seat

how do i answer him?

Quote Originally Posted by kawyn View Post
    one of my jtes just asked me why the text talked about sitting IN priority seats when you are technically sitting ON the seat

how do i answer him?
    "we ask that all passengers remain in their seats until the vehicle comes to a complete stop." "on your seats" would sound like they're all standing on their seats.

so maybe that's part of it? what is "you" here? you as a physical entity aren't on the seat--your rear end is, but you're above the seat, in front of the seat, and under the seat, depending on the frame of reference.

I think the main thing, though, is that it's a set phrase. we started saying it for whatever reason--perhaps the typical seat at one point was very cushy, had big arms, and basically sitting in it was being contained within it--and now any other preposition sounds weird.

Default Re: sitting in and sitting on

That's how I explained it when I was asked about this--I stood on the chair and said "I'm on the chair," then sat in it and explained, "I'm in the chair." I just explained that it was a weird quirky thing about English...
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Re: sitting in and sitting on

thanks for the replies guys!