Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The term "gaijin."

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: The term "gaijin."

What is racial violence?

When any crime happens between people of different races?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    What is racial violence?

When any crime happens between people of different races?
    I would say it's violence that's motivated by hatred of a certain ethnic group, such as lynchings in the United States or race riots.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Hard to have race riots when a country is 98% or 99% the same race, though, innit?

Please note. Watts Riots were AFTER the Civil Rights Act.

French Revolution was AFTER reforms.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Arudou Debito truely is the white Martin Luther King Jr.

To go back to Meelynn's point about gai(koku)jin having a racial bias, I'd agree to an extent. However, I recall asking a ladyfriend if she had ever slept with a "gaikokujin" and she answered "Well, there was that Chinese guy I dated for a while." Maybe just an exception though.
    My Hastily Taken Photos are Better Than Your Hastily Taken Photos (My Flickr)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think the urge to become a cyborg is instinctual.

I got asked for my gaijin card in Shinjuku over the weekend, actually. Some policeman copied down all my details. I asked why and the guy said that it was because they were some gaijin criminals about. Then he very helpfully and politely helped me find the Yamanote line. I found it less offensive than when the British police insisted on stopping me several times without even needing any justification, on the off chance that getting blown up by suicide bombers on the train had inspired me to become one myself. For the record, I currently have no intention of becoming a suicide bomber, but if that ever changes, I am going to wait until the exact moment that a policeman asks me to search my bag to blow myself up.

A lot of liberal/PC pansies in this thread whining about racism, again.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldroon View Post
    I don't think racism is a problem as long as you're in the majority.

quick, time to link to that story about the mexican comic again!

Racism is the result of ignorance. Japan in general is quite ignorant of anything outside of Japan. So are most people in the world. That's why there is tons of racism pretty much everywhere. The only reason there aren't lynchings and such here, is the population is still relatively homogeneous. Give them 50 years, when their population and economy are collapsing and they have to accept mass influxes of immigrants. Then we'll see things like race riots in the U.S., France, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobobb View Post
    Racism is the result of ignorance. Japan in general is quite ignorant of anything outside of Japan. So are most people in the world. That's why there is tons of racism pretty much everywhere. The only reason there aren't lynchings and such here, is the population is still relatively homogeneous. Give them 50 years, when their population and economy are collapsing and they have to accept mass influxes of immigrants. Then we'll see things like race riots in the U.S., France, etc etc.
    I like when you start by saying that racism is the result of ignorance then immediately follow it up with a gross generalization of Japan and the Japanese despite not living here.
    Last edited by Waldroon; November 18th, 2009 at 15:53.
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

I like when you start by saying that racism is the result of ignorance then immediately follow it up with a gross generalization of Japan and the Japanese despite not living here.
    Sorry, lived in Japan for over four years and my wife is a Japanese National.

So your wife is ignorant?

FiercestCalm

Keep it civil or infractions all around.

So your wife is ignorant?
    My basic point was that people in general are pretty ignorant. In my original post it stated that most people in the world were. And that ignorance leads to racism. Whether it be malicious or simply a result of said ignorance (which is easier to fix).

This was all in response to your post and many others that claim this is all complaining about nothing. Is calling someone a gaijin as bad as an obviously malicious word like nigger? probably not, but there is still racism involved, in this case mostly stemming from (in my opinion), ignorance.

Sure you can ignore these kinds of things, and for many it is easy and will not affect them at all. I'm not saying this needs a civil rights march. But simply educating people about this underlying problem of lumping the world into 'us' and 'them' can go a long way.

My basic point was that people in general are pretty ignorant. In my original post it stated that most people in the world were. And that ignorance leads to racism. Whether it be malicious or simply a result of said ignorance (which is easier to fix).

This was all in response to your post and many others that claim this is all complaining about nothing. Is calling someone a gaijin as bad as an obviously malicious word like nigger? probably not, but there is still racism involved, in this case mostly stemming from (in my opinion), ignorance.

Sure you can ignore these kinds of things, and for many it is easy and will not affect them at all. I'm not saying this needs a civil rights march. But simply educating people about this underlying problem of lumping the world into 'us' and 'them' can go a long way.
    I don't think having a Japanese wife makes your argument any stronger.

For the most part, as much crap as this country gets for being supposedly racist, it still pales in comparison to the United States, Europe, or Tsarist Russia.

The extreme far right in Europe are able to field parties (the BNP, French National Front, German NDP) that are built on a solidly racist platform; I don't see such a thing happening here in Japan.

Even though I can't stand the DPJ, they sure are taking steps into the right direction about immigration.

What would you educate them on? Ways of identifying everyone by the correct nationality and racial designation that they find most appropriate? Should Japanese people call me a Caucasian-American? An American? How about a half Irish, half Jamaican girl who was born in America? What should your average Japanese person call them?

Christ, I remember reading an SOP from a girl who calls herself "Afro-Caribbean", and I'm not even sure that's a real word.

In other words; while calling someone "a foreigner" or "outside person" with the connotation that they are not, in fact, a Japanese person may not be the nicest thing to say, it's also far less bad in my opinion then getting into the downward spiral of trying to figure out exactly what the most PC way to address everyone is.

I think the US is far worse off for our focus on racial naming than we were before we started trying to figure out how to be perfectly PC. I've never had my feelings hurt because someone called me "white", and most black people I know don't care if you say "black".....but now we have to deal with the occasional asshole who will go "WHOAH....whoah....I think you mean Afro-Carribean-American" and then takes your/your company to court for everything you own. How is this a better system?

In other words, I love that the Japanese use a blanket term like 'gaijin' for two reasons. First, it infuriates the same overly-PC wrist-flappers I don't like anyway, and second is it keeps Japan one step removed from the type of retarded crap we worry about in America, needlessly, all the time.

PS: I'm really interested in if you've ever told your wife "Japan in general is quite ignorant of anything outside of Japan.", and what her take on that is. Does she agree? Would you be sleeping on the couch? I wonder.
    Last edited by Waldroon; November 18th, 2009 at 16:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusuke View Post
    I don't think having a Japanese wife makes your argument any stronger.

For the most part, as much crap as this country gets for being supposedly racist, it still pales in comparison to the United States, Europe, or Tsarist Russia.

The extreme far right in Europe are able to field parties (the BNP, French National Front, German NDP) that are built on a solidly racist platform; I don't see such a thing happening here in Japan.

Even though I can't stand the DPJ, they sure are taking steps into the right direction about immigration.
    Again, I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that I'm screaming 'THOSE UNBELIEVABLY RACIST BASTARDS!'

I'm simply saying that there is definite racism involved. And simply exposing people to why some ideas are silly is a good step towards fixing it.

Random anecdote:
    Young woman I work with comes up to me at an enkai and tells me she loves 'gaikoku' - she knows I am from the United States. I look at her quizically and ask her what that means, as 'gaikoku' is a pretty big place, with all kinds of people, all kinds of countries, all kinds of languages, and all kinds of customs and cultures. We have a nice little laugh about it, as she realizes what she said was kinda silly.

It's this 'us' and 'them' thinking that needs to be fixed, and leads to all-encompasing inappropriate terms like 'gaijin'. Really 'it happens in other countries too' is never a good excuse.

What would you educate them on? Ways of identifying everyone by the correct nationality and racial designation that they find most appropriate? Should Japanese people call me a Caucasian-American? An American? How about a half Irish, half Jamaican girl who was born in America? What should your average Japanese person call them?

Christ, I remember reading an SOP from a girl who calls herself "Afro-Caribbean", and I'm not even sure that's a real word.

In other words; while calling someone "a foreigner" or "outside person" with the connotation that they are not, in fact, a Japanese person may not be the nicest thing to say, it's also far less bad in my opinion then getting into the downward spiral of trying to figure out exactly what the most PC way to address everyone is.

I think the US is far worse off for our focus on racial naming than we were before we started trying to figure out how to be perfectly PC. I've never had my feelings hurt because someone called me "white", and most black people I know don't care if you say "black".....but now we have to deal with the occasional asshole who will go "WHOAH....whoah....I think you mean Afro-Carribean-American" and then takes your/your company to court for everything you own. How is this a better system?

In other words, I love that the Japanese use a blanket term like 'gaijin' for two reasons. First, it infuriates the same overly-PC wrist-flappers I don't like anyway, and second is it keeps Japan one step removed from the type of retarded crap we worry about in America, needlessly, all the time.
    Second.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Again, I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that I'm screaming 'THOSE UNBELIEVABLY RACIST BASTARDS!'

I'm simply saying that there is definite racism involved. And simply exposing people to why some ideas are silly is a good step towards fixing it.

Random anecdote:
    Young woman I work with comes up to me at an enkai and tells me she loves 'gaikoku' - she knows I am from the United States. I look at her quizically and ask her what that means, as 'gaikoku' is a pretty big place, with all kinds of people, all kinds of countries, all kinds of languages, and all kinds of customs and cultures. We have a nice little laugh about it, as she realizes what she said was kinda silly.

It's this 'us' and 'them' thinking that needs to be fixed, and leads to all-encompasing inappropriate terms like 'gaijin'. Really 'it happens in other countries too' is never a good excuse.
    Not knowing much outside of your country is not racism dude.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with that; it's just a harmless belief that's not going to hurt anyone. But maybe you should have educated her about it rather than being all hurt from it.

I'm sure the generation of kids coming to age since JET started are going to be a lot different; Japanese people I knew when I studied abroad in Tokyo were pretty worldly.

EDIT: I'd like to say I agree with Waldroon's post, people should just chill out here about that crap.
    Last edited by Gusuke; November 18th, 2009 at 16:35.