Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jet program & med school

Default jet program & med school

hey guys.
    is there anyone else applying to this program for the upcoming year and will also apply to medical school throughout the duration of the JET program? if so..do you have any idea how we will do the interview process throughout next year?
    im assuming there arent too many premed students doing this program...

Default Re: jet program & med school

While not a med student, I am a film student, and at least made it to the interview. I'm not going to blame my major for why I didn't get in, because I think it was a combination of a weak SoP and a weak interview that I gave.

I don't think they're that worried about your major. They are more concerned with how the JET program fits into your future goals.

If it comes up, just try to spin it as something you could use as a show and tell type thing in the class room.

Banned

The way I read it he is more worried about applying to grad school whilst on JET... am I right? Do you need to attend interviews for med school or just send off statements and references, et cetera?

oh wait, nevermind.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

haha thanks for response..i actually meant, if i get into the jet program for next year and I also had interviews throughout next year for medical school. So in other words, how lenient would they be about letting me go back to the U.S. throughout the duration of the program to do the interviews for med school. any ideas?

I was thinking about doing jet and applying to medical school but it's not a good idea for a number of reasons. One being that most people apply to 20 schools and you should get several interviews from those schools. Jet doesn't allot enough time for you to do that many interviews.

Whoops, I'm totally blind.
    Last edited by Miniver; November 23rd, 2009 at 17:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Miniver View Post
    Anyway, I don't see what's there to think about here. Apply to all the things that you think you might want to participate it, whether it be med schools or JET. Then you can decide where you want to place your priorities depending on who is willing to give you an interview or not.

I don't know anything about your grades or scores, but what if there's a chance that no med school wants to accept you, yet JET would be willing to take you? You'd have made a pretty big mistake in just applying to med schools and not JET. Although it's pretty late to be thinking about this now.
    I am pretty sure that jlee110 is talking about applying to medical school for the 2011 intake year, not 2010, and is trying to figure out how s/he(?) would do medical school interviews from Japan if accepted to JET.

It's a good question. I am also thinking about applying to graduate school in the near future, although not to medical school, and not next year. Surely there must be some people who have done the grad-school application thing from Japan while working for JET?

It seems like the interview part of things would be a challenge. I suppose what comes to mind is:

1. trying to schedule interviews close together, so one could get them all done in a single short trip back to the home country, preferably during a vacation period;

2. looking into whether videoconferencing/Skype-type interviews are available for people applying from far-away places. (What do international students applying to Western medical schools from Asia usually do?)

Odds are you will only be allowed to take time off during school holidays, this of course depends on your contracting organisation etc. I can't take holiday during term time because I am fully booked for the schools that I visit, other people I know can take time off.
    I know a friend who applied to med school whist in Japan and recently started, so it is possible, however it has the potential of being a logistical nightmare.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

I'm currently on JET and holding med school acceptances. I scheduled several interviews in september together and knocked them down during silver week. Not too hard to do at all if you have the cash and tolerance to do all the traveling.

I am not sure if it's too late to do what I am about to suggest or if Medical Schools even allow it, but here it goes. Last year, I applied to law schools and the JET Programme at the same time. I simply deferred my enrollment in law school for a year once I found out that I was accepted into the JET Programme. Just call the schools that you want to apply to and ask if you can deffer for a year if you applied now. The only drawback to this solution is the possibility that you would want to stay on JET for another year or so.

Anyone have experience trying to defer JET or leave a month or two later?

Architect, I can tell you with near 100% certainty that JET wouldn't allow delayed entrance.

Yep that's correct. You cannot defer it.

But just do it.

You can get into postgraduate uni anytime. JET is best enjoyed right now!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Doesn't do O-ramas

Medical school--you either want it or you don't.

That's certainly true but it's not going anywhere is it?

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    That's certainly true but it's not going anywhere is it?
    No but to me I guess I always thought of med/dental school as lifelong dreams for those who really, really want to genuinely help people.

Seems a bit odd to defer a presumably lifelong dream to go be a gaijin ALT monkey for a year if it has nothing to do with said dream.

Being a gaijin monkey is enormous fun though and it gives you all sorts of new perspectives.

I'm in law school at the moment. Law and me seem to be a good match but I wouldn't trade the opportunities and prespectives and fun gained in Japan for anything, including an extra few years of my career in law.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Being a gaijin monkey is enormous fun though
    to each his own, good sir!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    No but to me I guess I always thought of med/dental school as lifelong dreams for those who really, really want to genuinely help people.
    Sit through a few med school interviews with other ppl and you will soon figure out this is definitely not the case. I cant generalize everyone, but many people myself included want to be a doctor to have a comfortable life. sometimes i fear for the future of our healthcare system in this country