Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jet program & med school

Default Re: jet program & med school

sometimes i fear for the future of our healthcare system in this country
    ^ I enjoyed that.

But seriously what you say is like any of the professions isn't it?

I mean a lot of people who go into Engineering, Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Vetsci any 'real' profession bar teaching, you're looking at lot of kids who 'had the marks so I'd better use them' or 'I just want to make a lot of money'.
    Last edited by dombay; January 3rd, 2010 at 12:11.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Is JET harder to get than Med school?

Is that where the favor towards doing JET first and the notion that Med school "will always be there" come from?
    Last edited by architect; January 4th, 2010 at 01:34.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    ^ I enjoyed that.

But seriously what you say is like any of the professions isn't it?

I mean a lot of people who go into Engineering, Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Vetsci any 'real' profession bar teaching, you're looking at lot of kids who 'had the marks so I'd better use them' or 'I just want to make a lot of money'.
    oh yea 100% its still pretty sad it works this way though

Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    Is JET harder to get than Med school?

Is that where the favor towards doing JET first and the notion that Med school "will always be there" come from?
    personally i dont think so, but this may be b/c this is the first time i've applied to JET. I've applied to med schools twice and its taken years of studying/test prep to even get an interview

Quote Originally Posted by mkbf26 View Post
    personally i dont think so, but this may be b/c this is the first time i've applied to JET. I've applied to med schools twice and its taken years of studying/test prep to even get an interview
    I know what you mean. My sister went through med school and so did I bunch of friends. I witnessed their repeats and the hard work. That is why I'm curious about the advice regarding going for JET since it's a "once in a lifetime opportunity" whereas the path to those professional degrees are not. I mean, is the once in a lifetime opportunity to be in Japan or to be part of Jet?

I know of someone who did JET from the summer of 2008-2009 and then started med school in 2009, although I'm not sure if he deferred for a year or did interviews while in JET.

Another option is to do JET between your preclinical and clinical years (i.e. between second and third year). I'm currently a second year medical student and applied for the 2010 cycle of JET. Hopefully if I get in then my plan will be to defer a year before starting my third year, which I don't think should be a problem considering that I will have done my USMLE Step 1 by mid-June.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyworld14 View Post
    I know of someone who did JET from the summer of 2008-2009 and then started med school in 2009, although I'm not sure if he deferred for a year or did interviews while in JET.

Another option is to do JET between your preclinical and clinical years (i.e. between second and third year). I'm currently a second year medical student and applied for the 2010 cycle of JET. Hopefully if I get in then my plan will be to defer a year before starting my third year, which I don't think should be a problem considering that I will have done my USMLE Step 1 by mid-June.
    That is good a plan.
    Last edited by architect; January 8th, 2010 at 15:14.

I am not in med school but I am weighing my options. I did my undergraduate in architecture and just finished my professional masters in architecture. I wanted to go to Japan and figured JET would be a great avenue to perhaps meet some cool people outside my profession as part of the program. I will also be applying for architecture firms in Japan but I am not sure if I want the pressure or long hours yet. JET to me is a nice one year break. I have a few other personal and professional reasons that may interfere with leaving in August and people have mentioned deferring JET is not possible. It seems like I may have to sacrifice a lot to be part of JET and at this point I am not sure if it's worth it for me.

It's a hard decision ... last minute decision actually since I knew and applied right at the tail end.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Default Re: jet program & med school

Trust me on this, take this as sage advice--if you are mid way through med school, you'd have to be out of your gourd to take a year off to do this soul-crushing dead-end job.

Seriously rethink what your priorities are.

And no, you absolutely cannot defer JET.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    Trust me on this, take this as sage advice--if you are mid way through med school, you'd have to be out of your gourd to take a year off to do this soul-crushing dead-end job.

Seriously rethink what your priorities are.
    I think it's for the opportunity of living in Japan and not for the work itself. It's possible to do it now while a student/fresh grad and not when you are out as a doctor in practice. Doctors can't easily just pick up and move to another country to work.

I would defer if I were in his situation, in the middle of school, if there is no rush to finish my post-undergrad degree.
    Last edited by architect; January 8th, 2010 at 17:52.

I think exposure to the Japanese system of medicine would be very interesting.

Only flu and colds exist in Japan. All other forms of illness, like the Ainu, have been eradicated. However, Japanese people suffer from flu or sickness to some degree about once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklad View Post
    I think exposure to the Japanese system of medicine would be very interesting.

Only flu and colds exist in Japan. All other forms of illness, like the Ainu, have been eradicated. However, Japanese people suffer from flu or sickness to some degree about once a week.
    Or, if one believes Japanese dramas, they go out in the rain without an umbrella. (^_~)