Thread: Need Lesson Ideas For Large JHS 3rd Year Class

Default Need Lesson Ideas For Large JHS 3rd Year Class

I'm running out of ideas. I have two sannensei classes a week with 30+ students in both classes. The teacher is pretty lazy and leaves the entire lesson plan up to me, but he always wants me to play games with them and not use the textbook.

Anybody got any good ideas to throw my way? I usually refer to the textbook anyway and use the grammar points and sentence structures from recent lessons in my games, but it's always a struggle to find games that not only teach the kids something (or reinforce what they've learned), but that work for such a large class and gets everyone involved. So lately I've just been doing kind of pointless, barely educational yet fun stuff.

I typically troll through the JHS lesson plan websites for ideas, but many of them are difficult to use since they tend to assume that A) the kids are way more advanced than they actually are at my school, or B) that the JTE can actually speak good enough English to not only plan the lesson with me but translate the rules to the students, and on that note, C) that the JTE gives enough of a damn to even be involved at all (and not treat it as a free period where he can doze off or play Solitaire in the office).

So yeah, any ideas would help. What have you used for classes like these?

FiercestCalm

Default Re: Need Lesson Ideas For Large JHS 3rd Year Class

I used this for 5th grade elementary, but I think it would still work at your level. I used it to help with "can you" structure. It's a fruit basket type game, so the kids push their desks back and make a circle with the chairs. Choose one kid to stand up and push his/her chair back out of the circle - they're 'it.' The one who's it asks a 'can you' question, like 'can you play piano?' The students who can play piano stand up and switch seats, and the one left standing is the new it and has to ask a new question.

The kids in most of my classes really got into it - I have about 32 per class and it worked pretty well.

Englipedia.com has a lot of JHS stuff

That's the thing: I've sort exhausted Englipedia (and Teaching Activities/PB Works) for good ideas that I can use. Those websites are the best and most organized of the teaching websites I've visited, but a lot of the ideas, like I touched on above, assume that the kids are more advanced and/or that the teacher gives a damn.

I'd love to do those interview type games they have so many of, but that would totally fail in my classroom, where getting them to answer me in complete sentences is damn near impossible, let alone getting them to talk to each other in English. I'm lucky because the kids actually do like me, since I spend a lot of time with the students outside of class, but I want to connect with them during class as well.

I think I'm just looking to see if anyone had any original ideas (or variations of games online) that I can borrow. Or maybe even another good website recommendation outside of what's listed on this forum's sticky. I'm probably just not being creative enough, so I'm looking for a boost.

(FC: Thanks for the idea. It sounds good, but I think it may be juuuust out of the age range of the sannensei. They're way too cool acting for that).

Quote Originally Posted by xoxobra View Post
    I'd love to do those interview type games they have so many of, but that would totally fail in my classroom, where getting them to answer me in complete sentences is damn near impossible, let alone getting them to talk to each other in English. I'm lucky because the kids actually do like me, since I spend a lot of time with the students outside of class, but I want to connect with them during class as well.
    Maybe having them answer in full sentences on the first go through an interview game is a little ambitious. Instead, why not simplify it the first time? Teach them the full sentence, but let them know that one-word answers are OK. Maybe the first two or three times you only require the one-word answer, then once they are more comfortable with the set-up, increase the difficulty.

One way I typically do an interview activity is make a chart with spaces for the interviewee's name and their answer(s). Then, at the bottom of the page, an area for them to write out some of what they heard.

For example....
    Name: けんと | Favorite Food: パン
    Name: ゆか | Favorite Food: apple

Pick 2 friends and write a sentence like the example: Mr. JTE likes cabbage.
    1. Kento likes bread.
    2. Yuka likes apples.

And you would emphasize that they should ask for the English or spelling of any words they weren't sure of in the interview part.

Aand...an activity.

One activity that seems to work pretty well with all my JHS students is the 'conversation battle'. You prepare some sort of preset conversation activity (a dialouge they'll practice reading, some questions/answers set, Japanese to English translation [be it sentences, vocab, whatever]) and every stands up. They pair up, either with the person next to them, or behind them, Janken, and the winner starts the conversation/activity. Then, do the activity in a set amount of time (10 or 15 seconds, or whatever you think they need), then rotate to a new partner. (like in the following example of two three-person rows rotating)

[3] [4] [2] [3] [1] [2]
    [2] [5] [1] [4] [6] [3]
    [1] [6] [6] [5] [5] [4]

Round 1 Round 2 Round 3

And so on. You can change the rules as they go (question/answer format - start top to bottom, then go bottom to top, then ask at random. translation format - try not to look at the paper, etc)

That's what I got at the moment.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Which textbook are you using? I'm JHS too and can give you some of my plans.

This is only a little game but it's quite fun and ok for a big class.

1. Section the blackboard off into 3 sections.
    2 rows of kids = 1 team.
    Kids rely with the chalk and run to the board to write stuff on a topic (recently I used "ALT" as a topic, so they were like "she is a girl" "she has 2 sisters" "she loves Matsujun" and so on. Can be used with foods, adjectives... anything).
    3. If two teams write the same word, they both get cancelled out. Any writing in Japanese gets 1 point but English gets 2 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

Thanks vertigo!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Which textbook are you using? I'm JHS too and can give you some of my plans.
    I'm using New Crown.