Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wordsearch

Default Wordsearch

Last week, I gave my students an old wordsearch my predecessor had made and the students loved it, even the disruptive students sat quietly and completed the sheet.

I'm all for making classes lively and interesting, but sometimes a quiet break is very welcome. Even the JTL's love finding the words too.

I found a really cool programme which makes it easy to make your own.

Check out the link:

http://www.adders.org/freeware/

Here's another good site to make wordsearches, crossword puzzles (criss cross) and word scrambles:

www.puzzlemaker.com

Puzzlemaker is especially nice for those of you that have aders.org blocked at your school (like I do!).

another is www.johnsesl.com

I'm not being funny but isn't our job here to speak and get the kids to speak English? They can do word searches with the JTE or for homework without us there.

It is the one thing I have found most difficult. Thinking of activities that get the kids speaking English and then pulling it off in class. It is the hardest thing cos the kids are not used to this format of lesson- actually having to take part/speak.

All lessons (and I have been to see lessons in other subjects too) involve the teacher lecturing and the students either just listening or writing or sleeping.

This is what makes it so difficult us coming in asking them to contribute, so I understand wordsearches and crosswords may seem like a good idea, but are they gonna get kids speaking English?

I think they make great homework activities to follow up a lesson of English conversation...
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

Bingo is ok as you can play it so they have go round the room asking each other stuff like "When is your birthday" or "Do you have...nani nani"

Wordsearch ok as a fill in I guess, but a whole lesson, honto?!!

I am struggling to get my kids to speak, as they are used to sitting and listening the whole lesson...

Maybe the wordseach thing would be good in pairs, at least they would have to speak the occasional english word to each other...

One step at a time. Bochi bochi! (I think this is kansai ben!)
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

The other thing is I guess that I only have each class once a month (4 schools rota) and even then if my lesson is cancelled it is 2 months. Infact I only met one of my 3rd grade classes for the first time last week! (after 4 months!)

So, if I came in and did a wordsearch, I feel that would be a complete wasted class. If you see a class regularly, I guess that is different.

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing a better job than me at the mo, so who am I to talk!

There will be big changes in Gojo in the new year! I have plans! They won't know what's hit em!!!

:twisted:

Hee hee!

Hannah

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    the rest of the time was oral stuff.
    I tried that but the police ended up getting involved
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yeah, I know you had a hard time Paul. I am really struggling to get my most of my teachers to understand the roll of an ALT, and how useful I actually could be. Almost the oposite of your problem. I have bugger all to do most of the time!

I know that if I give the kids a wordsearch or some kind of puzzle they will behave and get on with it, silently! But I am so determined to get them speaking English in their English class it has become a mission for me! Call me a glutton for punishment!

Every other English lesson has the JTE explaining English grammer in Japanese and the students either writing it down, or sleeping of having a conversation with another student, but the JTE ploughs on regardless. So when I come into their class, demand that they stop, look and listen to me, and not sleep, throw bits of rubber across the room, or talk at the same time etc, and then not only that, but do an activitiy that directly involves them and requires them to speak English, the teachers are shocked let alone the students and so their behaviour is worse...

It would make life a lot easier for me if I came in with a wordsearch, and the teachers would like it too. More control over the kids, less chaos etc and quiet children! After all, that is the first rule in teaching in Japan. From the horses mouth "Get the students quiet". Unfortunately it is very difficult to be silent and speak English at the same time, unless you are skilled in telepathy, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of these kids are, but I am not. Not that good anyway!!

I think you have done a great job Paul. You have really sorted out your roll, and have done wonders for English education in your school. I only hope I can be as successful.

I'm in the same boat as you Hannah. THe kids could care less, my ENGLISH classes are primarily taught in Japanese, and the kids DON'T speak English. I've caused quite a bit of friction trying to get my JTEs to understand my role as an ALT, and for them to help me have a purpose at my school. But for me, when the students aren't listening or participating, the best thing that I can do (rather than have them on their ketai's, doing make-up, or chatting it up) is to have a word search or other puzzle handy. As long as they're in school I feel that my students should be doing work (not playing around). And without the support of my JTEs, word puzzles are the best that I can do. :cry:

I don't like it. But I can go around and help the kids when they're stuck looking for a word, and ask them to read the words (pronunciation), and ask if they know the word in Japanese (translation). SOme days the kids speak more English when doing word puzzles than when (they should be doing) a speaking activity (my students usually copy from one another- even when I'm standing right next to them and telling them to read). *sigh* So there's some give and take involved.

But yes! I too have big plans for the New Year. And I'm trying to remain positive about the NEW year. My students definitely need a wake-up call. :P

ESID, surely! My school is very academic and we basically just plough through the textbook to prepare the students for their exams. It's dull, but they need to learn the vocabulary and grammar structures or they won't have a chance; we don't usually have time to focus on conversation practice, as the classes have to get to a certain point in the book by a certain date, which means we move way too fast for the weaker students. The JTEs here agree with me that it doesn't work, but changing something like this seems to be an impossibility. I have a second year class where we do a lot of pronunciation practice that I pretty much teach by myself, so that's where I can teach conversational English.

For my regular classes, I used a crossword to revise the vocabulary they needed to know for the exam, which worked really well. The students enjoyed it and they had to remember the words they needed to know. The system in my school is by no means ideal for learning a foreign language, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking I can change that!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

The usage, purpose, and practicality (is this a word?) of word puzzle sheets I'm sure varies depending on the level of the school/students.
    At the suggestion of a JTE I've even used crossword puzzles I gave in class as part of some of my mid-term exams. So there's different things you can do with word puzzles.

How about this: Different things work for different situations.
    Happy word hunting! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Mere
    How about this: Different things work for different situations.
    Exactly! This forum is no place to criticise other peoples' teaching methods.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I have to admit that I was skeptical about word searches, but I tried a word search for the first time in one of my first year classes. I was amazed at how much harder the students work. You can roll a little speech practice into this by first having the students read the words aloud. It's not that exciting, but you have the students' attention with the word search so they often cooperate. You can even make simple sentences with them. Another bonus is that you can wander through the classroom engaging the students one-to-one or a few-to-one.

My schools tend to rush through the alphabet so some of the kids actually have difficulty reading. As you can imagine, this causes a lot of problems down the road. The word search forces them to think about the spelling and the associated pronounciation.

The word search seems to increase their vocabulary. You can even include new words on the work sheet. That usually gets them asking what does that mean -- they actually ask the question. The trick is to make sure the JTE reminds them how to ask that in English AND knows the definition of the words.

Challenge them to come up with a sentence using as many of the words as possible. They can write it down and then say it in class. You can then ask them what it means in Japanese.

Good point! Spelling definitely needs more work here!

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah
    One step at a time. Bochi bochi! (I think this is kansai ben!)
    w00t! It is!

I <3 kansai ben!

Bochi Bochi = Maa Maa.

You really need to stop spilling that ice-cream, Pandilex. It's making the forum very sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mere
    But yes! I too have big plans for the New Year. And I'm trying to remain positive about the NEW year. My students definitely need a wake-up call. :P
    I'm interested to hear your plans! PM Me if you don't want to discuss on here. It sounds like you are in a similar situation to me although the students are eager to do well in their exams. They don't actually have to "speak" any English to pass the English exam. How are your teacher's attitudes?

Hannah

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    You really need to stop spilling that ice-cream, Pandilex. It's making the forum very sticky.
    I don't understand what that means, but I'm sorry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    I <3 kansai ben!
    That ice-cream! /\

Sorry, it was a weird joke! ops: